Remembering Estelle Bennett

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Remembering Estelle Bennett

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Feb 2019, 00:41

Ten years ago, we lost Estelle Bennett, sister of Ronnie Spector, and member of the legendary Ronettes. According to the cousin and co-member of Ronettes, Nedra Tally, Estelle was the quiet, sophisticated one. She had a flair for design and helped develop the trio's signature look, sassy and street-smart, a far cry from the more innocent look of the girl groups at the time. Ronettes were the beehived queens of 1960s girl-group pop - sexy and alluring. Estelle especially, had admirers as famous as Mick Jagger, George Harrison, and Johnny Mathis. When the Ronettes broke up in 1967, Estelle was devastated. She did not manage a solo career and never got over the demise of the group. After a few unsuccessful records, she left music altogether, and struggled with mental illness for much of her adult life. She lived long enough to see her former group inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2007, and was present at the ceremony, where she gave an emotional acceptance speech. Estelle did not want the Ronettes to end.

Last edited by GoogaMooga on 12 Feb 2019, 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: Remembering Estelle Bennett

Postby Muskrat » 12 Feb 2019, 01:16

Johnny Mathis?
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Feb 2019, 02:38

That's what NY Times wrote.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 12 Feb 2019, 04:37

I wouldn’t think she was his type. But if the NYT says so...
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Feb 2019, 05:49

I'm sure they looked good together.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Feb 2019, 13:42

Okay, a personal friend of Estelle has told me they were not suitors, and that the group disbanded in 1967, so I've edited the post and written admirers and 1967 instead.

Return to “Yakety Yak”