No votes
naked ladies
100%

Total votes: 6

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Electric Ladyland - naked ladies cover

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 12:46

Scored the first CD reissue of Electric Ladyland, Polydor fatboy, 1984. Discogs has it from €25, cheap compared with various vinyls. Sold my own vinyl gatefold back in 1993. Should have waited. Wonder why that cover was ever banned, and why it has only made brief appearances on CD reissues in these less prudish times.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

The North Yorks Moors

Re: Electric Ladyland - naked ladies cover

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 06 Feb 2019, 13:01

Is that the one with side one followed by side four?

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 06 Feb 2019, 14:02

I think all the covers are pretty bad.
The naked ladies one is a real curio. I suppose some praise should be given for showing wonen of all shapes and sizes. But it’s completely negated by what a bad photo it is. The lighting is so grungy that one can only assume the photographer wanted to make them look as ugly as possible. That or he hated women.
The Head cover looks like it took 10 minutes to knock up ...
... which is 5 minutes more than the 50th anniversary one seemed to take.

The cover should have been more on the lines of Miles’ Bitches Brew or Live/Evil ... or maybe Big Fun if you really have to have naked women on the cover!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 14:15

Nervous Ned wrote:I think all the covers are pretty bad.
The naked ladies one is a real curio. I suppose some praise should be given for showing wonen of all shapes and sizes. But it’s completely negated by what a bad photo it is. The lighting is so grungy that one can only assume the photographer wanted to make them look as ugly as possible. That or he hated women.
The Head cover looks like it took 10 minutes to knock up ...
... which is 5 minutes more than the 50th anniversary one seemed to take.

The cover should have been more on the lines of Miles’ Bitches Brew or Live/Evil ... or maybe Big Fun if you really have to have naked women on the cover!

Yeah, none of the three covers are worth writing home about. Naked ladies was startling in its deglamorization - like some kind of stoned POV. Axis: Bold as Love was the best cover of all. The posthumous covers are mostly pretty bad.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Feb 2019, 14:56

The North Yorks Moors wrote:Is that the one with side one followed by side four?

That was fairly common: “changer order.” Arranged so you could stack ‘em on the changer and play sides 1-4 only having to turn the stack over once, Since changers were pretty much on the way out, and 2-disc sets something of a novelty, it was well-intended but sort of archaic.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

The North Yorks Moors

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 06 Feb 2019, 15:17

Muskrat wrote:
The North Yorks Moors wrote:Is that the one with side one followed by side four?

That was fairly common: “changer order.” Arranged so you could stack ‘em on the changer and play sides 1-4 only having to turn the stack over once, Since changers were pretty much on the way out, and 2-disc sets something of a novelty, it was well-intended but sort of archaic.

It was the CD I was on about. Some early copies had the 'autochanger' order.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 15:21

The North Yorks Moors wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

CD1 on mine ends with Voodoo Chile, haven't compared w/vinyl

The North Yorks Moors

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 06 Feb 2019, 15:35

GoogaMooga wrote:
The North Yorks Moors wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

CD1 on mine ends with Voodoo Chile, haven't compared w/vinyl

Side two of the vinyl ends with Burning Of The Midnight Lamp. Voodoo Child(Slight Return) should be the last track on the album.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Feb 2019, 16:24

I always liked it. I had an uncle who had it. I was already familiar with the album but that cover did drive me into it a little deeper.
when I heard Hendrix hated it that gave me some pause. I suppose his opinion counts for something.
when you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Feb 2019, 16:27

GoogaMooga wrote:
Nervous Ned wrote:The posthumous covers are mostly pretty bad.

while I hate the title, I'm very fond of the cover for "Voodoo Soup"

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 17:15

Sneelock wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:
Nervous Ned wrote:The posthumous covers are mostly pretty bad.

while I hate the title, I'm very fond of the cover for "Voodoo Soup"

I feel the same way, great Moebius artwork, shit title.

Of the posthumous covers, I like Crash Landing best.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 06 Feb 2019, 17:17

"South Southern Delta" ain't bad. it looks kind of "bootleggy" but I think the better ones do.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 17:18

Anyway, my historical artefact, 1st reissue of EL, not only has the weird "changer order", the sound is also very tinny and trebly. Add to that a cover which Jimi disapproved of, and there's not much reason to hang on to it. Accord has offered me a decent trade price.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Feb 2019, 17:19

Sneelock wrote:"South Southern Delta" ain't bad. it looks kind of "bootleggy" but I think the better ones do.

I think that was a hastily chosen cover. Compare with Crash Landing or Rainbow Bridge. Or even War Heroes.

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 06 Feb 2019, 17:30

‘Blues’ is a good cover. Rather nice to include a montage of sorts of the bluesmen who inspired him. Album is great too. Probably my favourite Hendrix album.