So where is music at, right now, right this minute?

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

So where is music at, right now, right this minute?

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2019, 16:49

I am so out of touch, I hardly even follow reissues. The new century has had the girls ruling the charts, but I must confess, I don't even know if Gaga is yesterday's news. Do charts even matter anymore? What about MTV, is that still around? Does Spotify wield any influence?
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Re: So where is music at, right now, right this minute?

Postby yomptepi » 04 Feb 2019, 17:32

Who knows. And who cares.
You don't like me...do you?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Feb 2019, 17:50

Music today is so fractured and split into ever-expanding subgenres that it is impossible to make any generalisations.

I suppose the most interesting development within the mainstream has been how non-English language music is now huge, primarily Spanish-language music from Latin America and K-Pop from South Korea.

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 04 Feb 2019, 18:09

I haven’t known the answer to this question since, oh, 2000? Maybe 2001 at a stretch. Oh well.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 04 Feb 2019, 20:22

the masked man wrote:Music today is so fractured and split into ever-expanding subgenres that it is impossible to make any generalisations.

I suppose the most interesting development within the mainstream has been how non-English language music is now huge, primarily Spanish-language music from Latin America and K-Pop from South Korea.

I know there aren't any global superstars or common denominators now, but I was not aware of the popularity of Latin and K-Pop. So K-Pop succeeded where J-Pop failed, namely, in breaking through in the West. Interesting.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 04 Feb 2019, 21:11

By and large the only KPop acts to have broken in the west are BTS and Blackpink. But a number of Latin artists, mostly Puerto Rican artists (Bad Bunny, Luis Fonsi) and Colombians (J Balvin, Maluma), have crossed over.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 04 Feb 2019, 22:53

the masked man wrote:Music today is so fractured and split into ever-expanding subgenres that it is impossible to make any generalisations.

This is basically where I'm at. At one time I related to the new music scene but now it is so split up and now there are more subgenre I can give a crap about that I can no longer tell how big the new music I do listen to has any importance to the mainstream.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Feb 2019, 03:43

For what it's worth ...

For the first time in history, hip-hop has surpassed rock to become the most popular music genre, according to Nielsen

John Lynch Jan. 4, 2018

For the first time, hip-hop surpassed rock as the most popular genre in the US last year, according to Nielsen's year-end report.

Eight of the top ten most popular artists came from the hip-hop/R&B genre, with Drake and Kendrick Lamar taking the first and second spot, respectively.

Nielsen noted that the growth of the hip-hop/R&B genre was "powered by a 72% increase in on-demand audio streaming" in the genre.

https://www.businessinsider.com/hip-hop ... sen-2018-1
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum