Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Do talk back
User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 52906
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby C » 05 Feb 2019, 16:11

Still Baron wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I wouldn't say his albums are dull; he is, after all, Godfather of British Blues


You’ll have to choose one, I’m afraid.


Blues from Laurel Canyon
The Turning Point
Bare Wires


That's three for a start





.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

soundchaser wrote:R.I.P. brother Reap. You can always sync listen from heaven. C has the contacts, I’m sure.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47167
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Quaco » 05 Feb 2019, 16:14

:D
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40286
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2019, 18:58

C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:Not forgetting Don Sugarcane Harris but he was schooled by Zappa first

:!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!


I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room to do that.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 05 Feb 2019, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.
Image

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21106
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Muskrat » 05 Feb 2019, 21:10

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: :!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!


I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room do that.



You mean I posted all those Don & Dewey clips for nothing? (not you, Charlie; it supports what you''re saying. Similarly, God knows how many times Phil Spector bailed Ike Turner out of jail for pretty much the same reason).
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Pool Hall Richard
Posts: 3723
Joined: 14 Aug 2007, 14:54

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 06 Feb 2019, 21:42

Clapton for the Beano album, also the singles he did with Mayall. I'm Your Witchdoctor and On Top of the world, That les paul, his playing, superb.

Big fan of Green too, McVie's bass playing too although his bass sound was better later when in Fleetwood Mac.

Clapton wins.

User avatar
C
Robust
Posts: 52906
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 19:06

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby C » 07 Feb 2019, 11:45

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:
Charlie O. wrote: :!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!


I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

I'm taking issue with your "schooled by Zappa" line. Why did the famously anti-drug Frank parole him? Because Sugarcane was one of his heroes. I love his playing on those Zappa records, but he always sounded like Sugarcane Harris no matter who he played with, and FZ was smart/respectful enough to give him room to do that.


Ok, fair point Chas

Yes, fair point




.
Nancy wrote:I bet the amps in Heaven go to 12

soundchaser wrote:R.I.P. brother Reap. You can always sync listen from heaven. C has the contacts, I’m sure.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17688
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Ohio

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby pcqgod » 07 Feb 2019, 14:48

Probably would have to say Mick Taylor for what he accomplished after, but Peter Green for what he did with the Bluesbreakers.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"
Posts: 30025
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 18:26
Location: MacAndys Farm

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby andymacandy » 08 Feb 2019, 17:21

Buddy Whittington never makes these lists, but he is an astonishing guitar player.
And I saw him in the Bluesbreakers on the same night I saw Peter Green play.
Bless the weather.......Image

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47167
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Quaco » 10 Feb 2019, 09:28

Listened to Primal Solos tonight. What an album! If you ever want to be reminded why Clapton was God, one need only listen to side one.

Image
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
The North Yorks Moors
Posts: 98
Joined: 28 Jan 2019, 08:02
Location: Not North Yorkshire

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 10 Feb 2019, 10:33

andymacandy wrote:Buddy Whittington never makes these lists, but he is an astonishing guitar player.
And I saw him in the Bluesbreakers on the same night I saw Peter Green play.

I think I saw the same tour. Mayall was really good I thought.