Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Do talk back
C
Robust

Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby C » 04 Feb 2019, 13:43

...and why...?

ooof!

Solarskope wrote:Initiate of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn with dark occult powers

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 04 Feb 2019, 14:11

Andy Fraser of course.

Or am I confusing Mayall with Alexis Korner?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Re: Who was your favourite musician to have worked and learnt under the great John Mayall and why...?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 04 Feb 2019, 14:12

Otherwise Mick Taylor. Just listen to Blues from Laural Canyon and you'll hear why.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

The North Yorks Moors

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 04 Feb 2019, 15:43

I don't know how much he learnt under him but it's Dick Heckstall-Smith for me. To paraphrase a sporting expression he never left anything on the stage.

robertff

Postby robertff » 04 Feb 2019, 16:32

Love Peter Green but it has to be Mick Taylor - Crusade, Bare Wires and Laurel Canyon ' nuff said.

To quote you C. ooof, ooof and ooooooof. Three fantastic albums and Bare Wires has my favourite guitar solo on it from anyone -'I Started Walking' just brilliant.

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Feb 2019, 17:16

Dick Heckstall-Smith, Jack Bruce and Jon Hiseman always automatically come to mind

Not forgetting Don Sugarcane Harris but he was schooled by Zappa first so probably doesn't count

Solarskope wrote:Initiate of the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn with dark occult powers

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 04 Feb 2019, 17:31

I could never understand how a man like John Mayall, who was an average musician with no star quality , became a guru like figure in rock music. His albums are dull and lifeless. His singing is perfunctory and staid. he certainly " trained up " some great people, but none of their stardust ever settled on him. He always was, and remains at the bottom of the third division of great musicians.
You don't like me...do you?

C
Robust

Postby C » 04 Feb 2019, 18:15

yomptepi wrote:I could never understand how a man like John Mayall, who was an average musician with no star quality , became a guru like figure in rock music. His albums are dull and lifeless. His singing is perfunctory and staid. he certainly " trained up " some great people, but none of their stardust ever settled on him. He always was, and remains at the bottom of the third division of great musicians.

Answer the bloody question Michael....!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 04 Feb 2019, 18:20

yomptepi wrote:I could never understand how a man like John Mayall, who was an average musician with no star quality , became a guru like figure in rock music. His albums are dull and lifeless. His singing is perfunctory and staid. he certainly " trained up " some great people, but none of their stardust ever settled on him. He always was, and remains at the bottom of the third division of great musicians.

That was always my feeling: Mayall would round up the best musicians, then make them perform his material — with him singing.

I do like Laurel Canyon, though.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

slightbreeze
Can I Get To Widnes?

Postby slightbreeze » 04 Feb 2019, 23:57

Ah, John Mayall, the Southampton FC of music. Developed so many stars but they all moved on, to bigger and better things. Stones, Free, Fleetwood Mac etc, all made better music than with the workmanlike Mayall.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Feb 2019, 01:27

Clearly Clapton. While Bare Wires is my favorite - and least bluesy - Mayall album none of his helpmates has reached the level of deserved greatness than E.C.
Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Feb 2019, 03:37

Saw him live three or four times and got the autograph at the meet'n'greet. I wouldn't say his albums are dull; he is, after all, Godfather of British Blues, but he did tend to let his musicians outshine him. The big guns have been mentioned here, but even the last time I saw him, I ended up paying more attention to the bass player, who basked in it and gave his bass playing that little bit extra. Mayall noticed (out of the corner of his eye), and was not amused.

Can't decide whether to choose Clapton, Taylor, or Greeny.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Feb 2019, 04:34

C wrote:Not forgetting Don Sugarcane Harris but he was schooled by Zappa first

:!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!

To answer the original question, I'll say John McVie. Never played a bum note, never played a solo (or if he did, surely not for more than a chorus), never failed to groove, always made the people he played with sound better.

Plus - as far as I know - he has the best "quitting Mayall" story.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 05 Feb 2019, 06:13

Najor influence on the Righteous Bros.

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Feb 2019, 07:58

Charlie O. wrote:
C wrote:Not forgetting Don Sugarcane Harris but he was schooled by Zappa first

:!: :shock:

Quite the other way 'round if anything, Sir C!

I need to check the dates Chas but Zappa paroled Sugarcane from prison and he played with Zappa on Hot Rats, Burnt Weeny and Weasels Ripped and toured in 1970.

USA Union with Mayall was after that - late 1970...

Although I may well be wrong as you suggest

Chas?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Feb 2019, 09:27

Charlie O. wrote: Plus - as far as I know - he has the best "quitting Mayall" story.

Best quitting song and a personal air guitar fav back in the day.

Cold War Number One: 70 years of daily national stupidity. Cold War Number Two: Still in its youth, but just as stupid. - William Blum

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 05 Feb 2019, 12:27

Keef Hartley, cos he was good on the tubs.

Is this the answer you're looking for?

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 05 Feb 2019, 14:27

GoogaMooga wrote:I wouldn't say his albums are dull; he is, after all, Godfather of British Blues

You’ll have to choose one, I’m afraid.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 05 Feb 2019, 15:53

Muskrat wrote:

That was always my feeling: Mayall would round up the best musicians, then make them perform his material — with him singing.

Eh whatever. Like anybody, he has a style and a sound, not for everybody. I happen to like it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 05 Feb 2019, 16:10

Quaco wrote:
Muskrat wrote:

Eh whatever. Like anybody, he has a style and a sound, not for everybody. I happen to like it.

You have form on this Jim. You like ELO for a start. I don't expect you be very selective...
You don't like me...do you?