RIP Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits

Do talk back
Shagger Dave
connecticut hermit

RIP Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits

Postby Shagger Dave » 02 Feb 2019, 14:44

Not sure if it will resonate with many here but Alex Brown, guitarist in Gorilla Biscuits, and prior to that other NYC hardcore stalwarts Side By Side and Project X has died.

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/gorilla-biscuits-alex-brown-rip/?fbclid=IwAR33VV5jALRJlUoiC7_tCNujU2p4e4n1qAKx2ZKE3qkbqyRcYVddp3mRBMA

I played the shit out of the first Side By Side 7", and I was able to catch one of the rare Project X shows when Youth Of Today bowed out of a gig with Judge, Up Front and Pressure Release and they were a last minute fill in but it was Start Today, the 1989 full length debut by Gorilla Biscuits that blew the doors off. I loved their first 7" on Revelation, and the two tracks on the New York City Hardcore: The Way It Is comp, but that GB album was on heavy, heavy rotation for a long time. And 52 is far too young for a old member of the Youth Crew to go.

He tries.

Jumper K

Re: RIP Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits

Postby Jumper K » 02 Feb 2019, 22:01

GB are one of my very favourite Bands of the era. Was lucky enough to catch them live the one time. RIP Alex.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: RIP Alex Brown of Gorilla Biscuits

Postby GoogaMooga » 02 Feb 2019, 23:54

Came across the name while doing a bit of research on the Straight Edge hardcore movement, back in '89. RIP
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck