They only released one album but what a corker!

Do talk back
Jimbo

Re: They only released one album but what a corker!

Postby Jimbo » 06 Feb 2019, 07:03

“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Feb 2019, 07:25

The North Yorks Moors

Postby The North Yorks Moors » 06 Feb 2019, 14:05

Stellar cast on this 1969 Gorgon Jackson album: all of Traffic, a couple of Family, Julie Driscoll, and Luther Grosvenor. Produced by Dave Mason. It's pretty good but Marmalade going bust soon after its release put paid to any chances of success. No idea why he never made another record.

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 08 Feb 2019, 12:10

Armoury Show. Waiting For The Floods.
This one is a beauty, packed to the gills with John McGeoch guitar greatness.

This album follows on from the last Skids album, Joy - but only nicks the good bits. I was never a fan of the Celtic rootsy based tracks on that one - but Blood and Soil, Fields, Brave Man, Men of Mercy all lead on nicely to this one. Castles in Spain, Kyrie, Brave, Higher .... They had that much material that they could afford lob tracks like Innocents Abroad and Is it a Wonder out as flip sides.

The guitar lines on Waiting for the Floods and Higher Than The World are exceptional, its gone past angular post-punk traditional and incorporates elements of 80's dance/funk guitar similar to what Alan Murphy was doing. Once McGeoch left they released Tender and New York Singles which went obviously down the funk path (and were pants).

The last track on the album Avalanche is, in my book, one of McGeoch's finest works - just sonic mastery. My guitar rig contains no tones which were involved in the making of that track.
angering the feeble

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 12 Feb 2019, 13:51

Newcastle's finest from 1971
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod