Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese

Do talk back
Mike Boom

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese

Postby Mike Boom » 10 Jan 2019, 20:16

Coming in 2019
From Variety:

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/bob-dylan-martin-scorsese-rolling-thunder-film-netflix-1203104499/

The tightly-under-wraps project is said not to be quite as much of a straightforward documentary as Scorsese’s previous Dylan film, 2005’s “No Direction Home: Bob Dylan,” which zeroed in on Dylan’s crucial 1965-66 “going electric” period. “There’s a reason the word ‘story’ appears in the title,” said a source, hinting that the director may be playing with the form more in this particular film.

Upon further inquiry, Netflix provided Variety with a thumbnail description of the film that ups the tantalizing ante. “‘Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese’ captures the troubled spirit of America in 1975 and the joyous music that Dylan performed during the fall of that year. Part documentary, part concert film, part fever dream, ‘Rolling Thunder’ is a one of a kind experience, from master filmmaker Martin Scorsese.”

Looking forward to this and the accompanying Soundtrack.

Charlie O.

Re: Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese

Postby Charlie O. » 12 Jan 2019, 04:46

Yeah, I'll watch that.

(Has anyone here ever seen Renaldo & Clara?)

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 12 Jan 2019, 17:29

Charlie O. wrote:(Has anyone here ever seen Renaldo & Clara?)

There's a grainy version on Youtube in about eight separate parts, its disjointed and doesn't make much sense, kinda like a big rambling home movie but it has its moments. One of the great things about this doco is that all those concerts were professionally filmed so there must be a wealth of material for Scorsese to recut and edit into something that has the potential to be really mind blowing. We'll see...

Spock!

Postby Spock! » 12 Jan 2019, 17:35

Charlie O. wrote:Yeah, I'll watch that.

(Has anyone here ever seen Renaldo & Clara?)

Gave up on after about an hour and a half, though it seemed much longer. The highs weren't worth the lows.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 13 Jan 2019, 21:53

I kind of want to enjoy this era more I dug out the bootleg series 2cd the other day, still it doesnt quite grab me but it should. I'll wait and see this. Perhaps its Bobs shouting vocals, not my favourite. Time will tell. Still looking forward to it.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 13 Jan 2019, 21:53

duplicate post

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 13 Jan 2019, 22:10

Mike Boom wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:(Has anyone here ever seen Renaldo & Clara?)

There's a grainy version on Youtube in about eight separate parts, its disjointed and doesn't make much sense, kinda like a big rambling home movie but it has its moments. One of the great things about this doco is that all those concerts were professionally filmed so there must be a wealth of material for Scorsese to recut and edit into something that has the potential to be really mind blowing. We'll see...

Check this version posted over on the Bob Expecting Rain site

https://vimeo.com/309422131/d2d50e44c6

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 14 Jan 2019, 00:39

Pool Hall Richard wrote:I kind of want to enjoy this era more I dug out the bootleg series 2cd the other day, still it doesnt quite grab me but it should. I'll wait and see this. Perhaps its Bobs shouting vocals, not my favourite. Time will tell. Still looking forward to it.

That's more or less how I feel, although I like Shouty Bob. I think the band was kinda lumpen. Good musicians, perhaps, but they didn't really jell properly or something.

HotRats

Postby HotRats » 14 Jan 2019, 11:42

Mike Boom wrote:
“There’s a reason the word ‘story’ appears in the title,” said a source, hinting that the director may be playing with the form more in this particular film.

I can see it already. It's going to look like The Last Waltz, if David Lynch had directed it.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 16 Feb 2019, 15:21

Looks like a soundtrack album too. There's a brief interview with Larry 'Ratso' Sloman in the new edition of Mojo magazine - Keith Richards front cover. Sloman is a key interviewee in the documentary.

"The Scorcese documentary is incredible. The footage they have is amazingly intimate, they're right up his nose. They're also doing a soundtrack album to accompany the movie, and i went to some of the mixing sessions. Boy, to hear that version of One More Cup of Coffee again! I don't think Bob ever played it better."

`

Postby ` » 01 Sep 2019, 09:44

Finally caught up with this last night. Some of the live stuff is incredible. Once you get past all of the faffing around with the likes of Sharon Stone, it's really rather good. Shame there wasn't more mention of Ronno

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 01 Sep 2019, 21:57

Powehi wrote:Finally caught up with this last night. Some of the live stuff is incredible. Once you get past all of the faffing around with the likes of Sharon Stone, it's really rather good. Shame there wasn't more mention of Ronno

Very good, watched it a few time now. Did you catch that weird moment where Bob's ex-wife's face is blocked out when she's sat watching the performance with Joan Baez. She seems to be missing from the movie aside from one point.

There is a lot of faff but it still works well.

`

Postby ` » 03 Sep 2019, 09:05

Pool Hall Richard wrote:
Powehi wrote:Finally caught up with this last night. Some of the live stuff is incredible. Once you get past all of the faffing around with the likes of Sharon Stone, it's really rather good. Shame there wasn't more mention of Ronno

Very good, watched it a few time now. Did you catch that weird moment where Bob's ex-wife's face is blocked out when she's sat watching the performance with Joan Baez. She seems to be missing from the movie aside from one point.

No missed that bit but will keep my eyes peeled when I rewatch it (which I surely will many times, if only for the electrifying live performances.) Do remember the bit where he mentioned - one assumes - Sara L in passing when was talking to JB about their being together some 10 years before. Given Dylan's love of fucking with people's heads and the fact that much of the footage Scorsese had to call on must have come from Renaldo and Clara, it is hard to tell if that particular bit was scripted or spontaneous.

Do you know which show the live footage came from? From checking out the source list for tracks on the 2CD Bootleg Series for 1975, the second night in Boston seems to have been a fucking amazing show. Interesting also to see the Bobster shorn off that weird V is for Vendetta/Anonymous beard get up and dressed in what one would (like to) imagine are his civvies during the interview bits.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Sep 2019, 10:41

I watched around half of this, couldn't be arsed with the "story " part. Wont be going back no matter how good the live bits are.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love

Postby modharper » 03 Sep 2019, 12:50

I watched it a while back over the course of two or three days' commutes, and while I was really digging it at first, before I finished it I was made aware of the numerous sites that were detailing the film's many untruths, and it really spoiled the remainder for me. I wanted a documentary - I was enjoying what I thought was a documentary - but suddenly I didn't enjoy the feeling that I was being mocked; that the casual viewer will never know that they're being duped by the filmmaker.

I get that Bob and Marty wanted to have fun with it, but that's not what I was bought into or sold, and I can't help that residual feeling of resentment that lingers, since I finished watching the film not believing anything I was told and doubting all that had come before. It's like enduring your friends enacting an in-joke that you're not a part of. No thank you.

The live footage, though: fuck yeah.
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 03 Sep 2019, 17:20

modharper wrote:I watched it a while back over the course of two or three days' commutes, and while I was really digging it at first, before I finished it I was made aware of the numerous sites that were detailing the film's many untruths, and it really spoiled the remainder for me. I wanted a documentary - I was enjoying what I thought was a documentary - but suddenly I didn't enjoy the feeling that I was being mocked; that the casual viewer will never know that they're being duped by the filmmaker.

I get that Bob and Marty wanted to have fun with it, but that's not what I was bought into or sold, and I can't help that residual feeling of resentment that lingers, since I finished watching the film not believing anything I was told and doubting all that had come before. It's like enduring your friends enacting an in-joke that you're not a part of. No thank you.

The live footage, though: fuck yeah.

Interesting, thanks. Perhaps just zip through for the live parts, then.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 04 Sep 2019, 22:45

Powehi wrote:
Pool Hall Richard wrote:

No missed that bit but will keep my eyes peeled when I rewatch it (which I surely will many times, if only for the electrifying live performances.) Do remember the bit where he mentioned - one assumes - Sara L in passing when was talking to JB about their being together some 10 years before. Given Dylan's love of fucking with people's heads and the fact that much of the footage Scorsese had to call on must have come from Renaldo and Clara, it is hard to tell if that particular bit was scripted or spontaneous.

Do you know which show the live footage came from? From checking out the source list for tracks on the 2CD Bootleg Series for 1975, the second night in Boston seems to have been a fucking amazing show. Interesting also to see the Bobster shorn off that weird V is for Vendetta/Anonymous beard get up and dressed in what one would (like to) imagine are his civvies during the interview bits.

The part where Sara's face is blocked out is literally seconds before the Bob and Joan part. I think its during Hattie Carroll.

Return to “Yakety Yak”