R.I.P., lyricist Norman Gimbel

Do talk back
Charlie O.

R.I.P., lyricist Norman Gimbel

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Jan 2019, 21:51

With help from Mr. Gimbel, “The Girl From Ipanema” went on to drive the bossa nova craze in the United States and beyond, introducing millions of listeners to Brazil’s “new wave” fusion of samba and jazz. Alternately celebrated and mocked, with its ubiquitous instrumental covers derided as innocuous Muzak, versions of the song were used as elevator music in a scene from “The Blues Brothers” and as a soundtrack to the opening ceremony of the 2016 Olympics in Rio.

Yet the tune was just one of many hits for Mr. Gimbel, an Oscar- and Grammy-winning lyricist who co-wrote the theme songs to “Happy Days” and “Laverne & Shirley,” as well as the chart-topping ballad “Killing Me Softly With His Song.” He was 91 when he died Dec. 19 at his home in Montecito, Calif. His son Tony Gimbel confirmed the death but did not give a cause.

more

Quaco
F R double E

Re: R.I.P., lyricist Norman Gimbel

Postby Quaco » 03 Jan 2019, 17:30

... and "Ready to Take a Chance Again", a huge song.

Totally incidentally but interesting because I had totally forgotten about it -- I met his daughter Nelly a couple times when my friend was going out with her.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Jan 2019, 17:34

... and "I Got A Name" - possibly my favorite Jim Croce record, and one of the very few (the only single) that Croce didn't write himself.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 04 Jan 2019, 13:22

He wrote Killing Me Softly after my cousin told him about a concert she’d seen. She was the first to record it.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

`

Postby ` » 04 Jan 2019, 16:21

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:He wrote Killing Me Softly after my cousin told him about a concert she’d seen. She was the first to record it.

Wow!

Knew the song was about Don McClean but never realized there was such a dispute about its origins,

See Wikipedia for the full story - it’s well worth a read. Your cousin Lori comes out of it a lot, lot better than NG, btw

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 05 Jan 2019, 09:32

caramba wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:He wrote Killing Me Softly after my cousin told him about a concert she’d seen. She was the first to record it.

Wow!

Knew the song was about Don McClean but never realized there was such a dispute about its origins,

See Wikipedia for the full story - it’s well worth a read. Your cousin Lori comes out of it a lot, lot better than NG, btw

Wild. I didn’t even know it was disputed.

Sounds like he was worried about having to share copyright at some point.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Return to “Yakety Yak”