It's New Year's Eve and I am cranking Phil Spector

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

It's New Year's Eve and I am cranking Phil Spector

Postby GoogaMooga » 31 Dec 2018, 21:44

Once a year, on December 31st, it's music lovers' amnesty here on the council estate. I get to crank the music to the max! And what better choice of evening listening pleasure than Phil Spector in glorious mono! I've pretty much got it all, what's out there on CD anyway. The tradition has always been to return to the starting point, the splendid 1991 abkco 4 CD box set, "Back to Mono"! It's only a few tracks in on disc one and it's Spector in full bloom, fully developed Wall of Sound, monumental!

How the fuck I went through the 1970s and the 1980s without even having heard of Uncle Phil, is hard to believe today. It was only with the announcement of the imminent release of the box set that I found out about him. I knew about "River Deep, Mountain High" and I'd heard "Be My Baby" in the film "Mean Streets", but somehow, the name of the genius behind it all had eluded me.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Re: It's New Year's Eve and I am cranking Phil Spector

Postby Muskrat » 01 Jan 2019, 02:43

Dec. 26th was his birthday, so you're just catching up!
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.