Historic venue reopens

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Historic venue reopens

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Dec 2018, 21:49

Seven years ago, Copenhagen's most iconic concert venue burnt to the ground. K.B. Hallen, as it was called, was not insured properly, and with it the city lost one of its best venues, a medium sized hall (4,900 capacity) where legendary names like Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Beatles, The Who, Rolling Stones, and Jimi Hendrix all appeared. K.B. Hallen was home to the first rock'n'roll concert in Denmark, October 25th, 1956, and many greats passed through in the years after. The owners, however, were able to raise the 235 million kroner needed to rebuild it, and today the Crown Prince could officially open the new building, a fairly close replica of the historic building from 1938.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc

Re: Historic venue reopens

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2018, 22:47

Couldn't have been that famous. I've never heard of it.

But seriously, who the fuck is insuring a place of that size that doesn't review the liability and property policy at renewal? A place with that kind of liability, a public venue, should have had its policy reviewed every year. An insurance co. underwriter would require it and the replacement property value would certainly come up in that yearly review.

if someone didn't want to insure it for its proper amount, an insurance company would require a signature, at least, attesting that the owner(s) only want to insure it to a certain value.

I know self-insuring stuff commercially is getting more popular, but it seems that any owner would want to get full replacement value.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Dec 2018, 22:57

I have some recordings of the Who & Deep Purple playing there in 1972. I think I read that Led Zeppelin used to enjoy playing there.

Hey, look at some of the funny shit you find when looking things up on the internet:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/venue/k-b-hallen

Notes:
Led Zeppelin are billed as "The Nobs", due to an irate relative of the Zeppelin airship family, Eva Von Zeppelin, who threatens to sue the group if they use their name in her home country.

Jimmy Page: "Then we shall call ourselves The Nobs when we go to Copenhagen, the whole thing is absurd. The first time we played we invited her backstage to meet us, to see how we were nice young lads. We calmed her down but on leaving the studio, she saw our LP cover of an airship in flames and she exploded! I had to run and hide. She just blew her top." (Melody Maker)
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 23:01

Jimmy Page wrote:... she exploded! I had to run and hide. She just blew her top."

Funny guy. :|

That's a cool looking building.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Dec 2018, 23:03

I don't think the owners could afford full insurance.

Some acts I saw there, only from 1997 - 2007: Kraftwerk, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple, Strokes, B.B. King, Lynyrd Skynyrd, et al. Good seating all around, good view everywhere.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Return to “Yakety Yak”