Albums (or singles) that invented an entire genre

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: Albums (or singles) that invented an entire genre

Postby Hightea » 05 Dec 2018, 16:32

Magma - Mekanïk Destruktïẁ Kommandöh(Zuehl) - you could argue an earlier album but it came together here.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Dec 2018, 16:49

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2018, 17:23

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

I think it's a stretch to say it invented Calypso, but I would agree that it was very influential on the genre.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Dec 2018, 17:47

Dire Straits - that guitar.

And no, it didn't come from The Shadows.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Dec 2018, 17:48

And that Punk/Mariachi band Frank likes so much.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 17:55

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Dire Straits - that guitar.

I though Headband Rock had been around a little while before them. At least since Springsteen.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 05 Dec 2018, 18:21

Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight (rap)

That's a good example of a record that looks like it invents a genre. The legend of Sugarhill Gang is that they were basically dudes from New Jersey who liked the rappers they saw in NYC, so they just stole some of their rhymes and went in the studio. And made maybe the most influentiual record of all time. It's a rip off! But it's still undeniably a real thing.

All I can say, I bet Cold Crush wishes they had taken up Sylvia Robinson and went in the studio with her instead of leaving it to those wack pizza delivery guys.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 18:24

bobzilla77 wrote:Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight (rap)

That's a good example of a record that looks like it invents a genre. The legend of Sugarhill Gang is that they were basically dudes from New Jersey who liked the rappers they saw in NYC, so they just stole some of their rhymes and went in the studio. And made maybe the most influentiual record of all time. It's a rip off! But it's still undeniably a real thing.

All I can say, I bet Cold Crush wishes they had taken up Sylvia Robinson and went in the studio with her instead of leaving it to those wack pizza delivery guys.

Good points! I just played that first Sugarhill Gang LP the other day and had to check that I hadn't gotten the wrong record in the sleeve...more than half of it is just corny disco.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 05 Dec 2018, 18:51

Count Machuki wrote:What did this invent?

Stacia's tubs
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Dec 2018, 18:53

Count Machuki wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:Dire Straits - that guitar.

I though Headband Rock had been around a little while before them. At least since Springsteen.

It's not about the headband, Count. It's the guitar sound.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 19:15

Rayge wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:What did this invent?

Stacia's tubs

Seminally robust!

Nervous Ned

Postby Nervous Ned » 05 Dec 2018, 19:20

I’d love to know why anyone would claim Low invented electro pop when it is clearly not electro pop itself! Kraftwerk had already released Autobahn and Radioactivity and can lay a better claim to that title.
Regarding Discreet Music being the first ambient album; Tangerine Dream’s Zeit predates it by 3 years and is clearly ambient in nature, if not name. Also Eno was influenced by Froese and was effusive in his tribute to Edgar on his death.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Dec 2018, 19:46

Count Machuki wrote:

Good points! I just played that first Sugarhill Gang LP the other day and had to check that I hadn't gotten the wrong record in the sleeve...more than half of it is just corny disco.

You could argue rap was invented by The Last Poets though.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 05 Dec 2018, 19:54

The Modernist wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:

You could argue rap was invented by The Last Poets though.

Oh, man, the "first rap song" discussion is way more fun than the "first rock song" discussion.

Here's my nomination:

Not sure I could really claim it "created a genre," though.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Dec 2018, 21:27

Possessed, a Bay Area thrash metal band, is said to have invented death metal with its album, Seven Churches. 1985.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Dec 2018, 21:36

Nervous Ned wrote:I’d love to know why anyone would claim Low invented electro pop when it is clearly not electro pop itself! Kraftwerk had already released Autobahn and Radioactivity and can lay a better claim to that title.
Regarding Discreet Music being the first ambient album; Tangerine Dream’s Zeit predates it by 3 years and is clearly ambient in nature, if not name. Also Eno was influenced by Froese and was effusive in his tribute to Edgar on his death.

agree

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 05 Dec 2018, 21:44

Nervous Ned wrote:I’d love to know why anyone would claim Low invented electro pop when it is clearly not electro pop itself! Kraftwerk had already released Autobahn and Radioactivity and can lay a better claim to that title.

What rot!

Bowie sped it up, added tunes, took it to the top ten.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Dec 2018, 22:54

Nervous Ned wrote:Regarding Discreet Music being the first ambient album; Tangerine Dream’s Zeit predates it by 3 years and is clearly ambient in nature, if not name. Also Eno was influenced by Froese and was effusive in his tribute to Edgar on his death.

I've always considered it quite impressive how Enough managed to invent an entire genre shortly after traveling to Germany to hang around with a bunch of musicians playing quiet electronic music. And only 30 years after musique concrete, too.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Dec 2018, 23:20

Psychedelia

Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Dec 2018, 00:04

This was released before Rapper's Delight, but wasn't as popular.

You could also argue that rappers just took their rhymes from toasting on reggae records, which I would bet Kool Herc, who was Jamaican, played, or was heard in the Bronx coming from Jamaican immigrants.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!