Your bucket list of bands to see live?

Do talk back
Purgatory Brite

Your bucket list of bands to see live?

Postby Purgatory Brite » 30 Nov 2018, 10:48

Today, I've booked a ticket to see King Crimson at the Royal Albert Hall in June next year. In truth I could have made an effort to go to their recent London gig or the one last year. I suppose their 50th anniversary will make it more of an event.

I'm also due to see the Blur Oyster Cult in February.

With these two bands crossed off the list, I can't think of any acts I haven't seen before that I should do whilst it's possible for them to play a gig.

Which (still active) groups or acts remain on your personal bucket list?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: Your bucket list of bands to see live?

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Nov 2018, 11:00

Not many left

Seen Ray Davies twice, but a reformed Kinks with brother Dave would be good. Their second line-up would still be intact.
Smokey Robinson
Gladys Knight
Darlene Love
LaLa Brooks

In truth, I am not sure how many old-timers are still active, and as for bands, what sort of configuration would be touring. Just found out that Vanilla Fudge is playing in New York, for instance.

Bunch of reggae/soul/disco acts I'd like to see, but they rarely come over here.

But it's all a moot point, because I can't go to concerts anymore due to a bad neck.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Nov 2018, 12:37

Tom Waits

Would love to see Mike Watt do a set of Minutemen tunes.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 30 Nov 2018, 12:38

Purgatory Brite wrote:
I'm also due to see the Blur Oyster Cult in February.

(Don't Fear) Damon Albarn
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Robert

Postby Robert » 30 Nov 2018, 14:12

Don't have a bucket list really but happy that I'll be seeing John Cale next week. With old Mudshark.

Later that same week Johnny Marr for the 2nd time this year. Without Mudshark who claims he'd rather fall
asleep on his couch :lol:

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 30 Nov 2018, 14:15

I bought tickets to see Iron Maiden next summer - they've been on my bucket list forever.

I go to a lot of concerts, so there aren't a TON of unfulfilled wishes remaining.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 16:38

Have seen

Bob Marley and the Wailers
Led Zeppelin (twice)
McCartney (twice, once in Wings)
Chuck Berry
Jerry Lee Lewis
The Stones
The Who (a few times)
The Buzzcocks
The Clash
The Jam
The Cramps
XTC
The Beastie Boys
Ice Cube (twice)
Merle Haggard

I had the benefit of having a pretty nice venue in my hometown where well known crooners, soul and R&B, country and old time rockers used to play. It was called the Circle Star Theater and had a revolving stage. My friends and I used to go see groups like Gladys Knight and the Pips, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and such there all the time. I saw Peter Tosh there too.

Those are kinda the top bands and artists I've wanted to see and have. The Kinks would be nice, but I don't think I'd spend the money that's required these days. Now, it's more about seeing artists in clubs that I like and my reach is a little lower.

I never saw Bowie, but I would have put him in that top echelon of "must see." Eminem would've been cool too.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 30 Nov 2018, 17:31, edited 3 times in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Nov 2018, 17:13

It didn't really occur to me until the past decade or so that I needed to go see some of the old-timer rockers before they exited stage left forever. I think I got most the major ones out of the way: McCartney, Who, Rolling Stones, Roger Waters, Black Sabbath, Purple, Jeff Beck, Van Halen, Rush, McGuinn and Hilman, a bunch of old punk bands that I missed in my younger days. There's a bunch of cult bands that still perform that I would love to see but likely will never get the chance because they either never play the U.S. or never play near me: Steeleye Span, The Barracudas, The Vapors, Hard-Ons, etc. Toots only seems to perform in California when he plays the U,S. Seeing Buddy Guy recently was a thrill, and made me think that I also really need to see at least one of the classic jazz cats that's still around. Herbie Hancock would be great.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 17:34

pcqgod wrote:Toots only seems to perform in California when he plays the U,S.

Those reggae guys love their Humboldt County weed. Reggae bands used to play here in the Bay Area a lot more, but now you can only see them play Reggae on the River, a weekend festival at the Russian River, up north, that happens every year.

Saw lots of great guys: Desmond Dekker, Toots and the Maytals, Gregory Isaacs, Cocoa Tea, Yellowman, etc.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Nov 2018, 19:02

Seeing Roy Wood last month was one of them. I'm really happy about that.

I suppose I should see Ringo Starr sometime, if it's still possible.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Nov 2018, 19:17

Quaco wrote:
I suppose I should see Ringo Starr sometime, if it's still possible.

Ringo still seems to be on the road in the U.S. a lot. I saw him back in the early 90's with an All-Starr Band that included Todd Rundgren, Joe Walsh, Nils Lofgren, Dave Edmunds, Burton Cummings and Timothy B. Schmit. Got a lot of classic rock bucket list crossed off incidentally just by going to that show.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 19:18

Quaco wrote:Seeing Roy Wood last month was one of them. I'm really happy about that.

That was a nice coup, indeed.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 30 Nov 2018, 19:19

I've never seen Page or Plant. A show with one or both of them performing Zep songs would probably be my last true classic rock bucket list concert. Others like Yes, CCR, ELO would just be gravy.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Nov 2018, 19:24

very few left on my list (at least ones that are still possible) and I guess there could be different members of old bands that could reform.
was happy to see the mid 70's soft machine a few weeks ago. I've seen in excess of 1300+ shows and 1500 bands so not much left.

as far left
Kate Bush - for obvious reasons I've never seen her and almost flew to London for her shows (we did have a ticket)
Focus - I know without Jan but still would like to see them unfortunately they don't come to america.
XTC - they don't play live so I doubt that will happen

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 19:30

Hightea wrote:as far left
Kate Bush - for obvious reasons I've never seen her and almost flew to London for her shows (we did have a ticket)

That's a good call. I've seen lots of artists on my bucket list at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass, the free festival in SF every year.

Robyn Hitchcock, Jonathan Richman, Lucinda Williams, Fountains of Wayne, and Kristofferson and Haggard together was magic.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Nov 2018, 19:58

Geezee wrote:Tom Waits.

Same here. Not many others in all honesty.

NMB

Postby NMB » 30 Nov 2018, 20:10

I’ve ticked off quite a few in the last few years on the principle of grab them while you can. The Kinks are maybe the top of what’s left and still theoretically possible. I don’t count ‘them in name only’ bands like the Beach Boys.
turn on, tune in, nod off

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 30 Nov 2018, 20:18

NMB wrote:I’ve ticked off quite a few in the last few years on the principle of grab them while you can. ... I don’t count ‘them in name only’ bands like the Beach Boys.

Well, you have Brian Wilson, Al Jardine, and sometimes David Marks in one band, and Mike Love and Bruce Johnston in the other. See them both and you have it mostly covered.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 30 Nov 2018, 20:21

Jerry Lee Lewis.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Nov 2018, 20:31

I hardly ever see anyone live these days. Pretty much have a yearly jaunt to see Killing Joke, and I may watch a crap metal band or two with a mate, but that's about it. I think I've seen most of my absolute favourites who are still around and could realistically be seen as still artistically creative. Off the top of my head, only Front 242 and Legendary Pink Dots are the obvious exclusions. I've no real interest in seeing anyone touring as a reunion money maker thing, I couldn't even be bothered seeing Bauhaus when they did that a few years back. Never heard any of their new material, either.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Yakety Yak”