why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Do talk back
User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37336
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 29 Nov 2018, 20:49

as stated elsewhere (FB), I dislike Radiohead.

but, after a big Clash listening session, I like to play something by Coldplay.

any others?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35597
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby yomptepi » 29 Nov 2018, 20:53

Walk In My Shadow wrote:as stated elsewhere (FB), I dislike Radiohead.

but, after a big Clash listening session, I like to play something by Coldplay.

any others?


After a big Clash listening session, you need sectioning.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38605
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Count Machuki » 29 Nov 2018, 21:36

'cause they don't have a Thom Yorke? Much less a Jonny Greenwood.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35597
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby yomptepi » 30 Nov 2018, 00:09

I don't see any similarity at all. What an odd question.
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19526
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 30 Nov 2018, 00:17

It is an utterly idiotic thread the likes of which I haven't seen since the stupefyingly moronic I destroyed an Ella Fitzgerald box set by mistake early this morning

Ban these fucking arseholes before they drag us even further into fuckwit hell
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63756
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Nov 2018, 00:25

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:It is an utterly idiotic thread the likes of which I haven't seen since the stupefyingly moronic I destroyed an Ella Fitzgerald box set by mistake early this morning

Ban these fucking arseholes before they drag us even further into fuckwit hell


:lol:

Jeezus, cut a guy some slack, Mr. start-a-thread-with-punctuation-mark.

Those are pure gold, those are.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13058
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby fange » 30 Nov 2018, 00:36

Yeah, at least it's a new thread. We can write about how crap Coldplay was/is, and how Radiohead at least made a couple of decent records. Look i just did!

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote: I destroyed an Ella Fitzgerald box set by mistake early this morning


:lol: :lol: Oh God, i forgot about that; an absolute BCB classic, still makes me laugh like a drain thinking about it. If Monty Python made a sketch about BCB, that would be it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice
Posts: 35597
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 17:57
Location: well

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby yomptepi » 30 Nov 2018, 00:56

The Bulfine Papers (1917) wrote:It is an utterly idiotic thread the likes of which I haven't seen since the stupefyingly moronic I destroyed an Ella Fitzgerald box set by mistake early this morning

Ban these fucking arseholes before they drag us even further into fuckwit hell


Crikey John. That's a bit harsh on a stalwart BCB' er like old Yves. Steady on.!
You don't like me...do you?

User avatar
SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19526
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 30 Nov 2018, 01:02

Oh he knows I love him.

But seriously - how difficult is it to start a half-decent thread here? why is it always rubbish?
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13058
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby fange » 30 Nov 2018, 01:33

I was playing In Rainbows last week, and i still quite like it. This is a little buried gem in their catalogue...

Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1578
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Hightea » 30 Nov 2018, 04:23

Walk In My Shadow wrote:as stated elsewhere (FB), I dislike Radiohead.

but, after a big Clash listening session, I like to play something by Coldplay.

any others?


Because Coldplay couldn't keep it up after two albums and they don't have Johnny

I'm fan of both bands although Radiohead is a much better band.

By the way Elbow better than Coldplay. :D

Aug 02 - Chris serenading Gwyneth Paltrow 08/12/02
Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1578
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Hightea » 30 Nov 2018, 04:29

fange wrote:I was playing In Rainbows last week, and i still quite like it. This is a little buried gem in their catalogue...



great tune like it more live.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 35034
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby PENK » 30 Nov 2018, 07:18

yomptepi wrote:I don't see any similarity at all. What an odd question.


I think there's a definite influence there, but it's the accessible chart-hit Radiohead of 'Creep' and 'High and Dry'. Coldplay take Yorke's emotive vocals and the band's downbeat style and, well, take them again for the next song, and the next album. They completely ignore the different styles and complex arrangements of Radiohead's work, and as the Count says they don't have a Greenwood figure to drag things away from maudlin balladeering.

Coldplay aren't terrible; they can write a strong chorus, but they don't do anything with it. They just put it there and expect that's enough. For many people I guess it is.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

User avatar
mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi
Posts: 14475
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 10:54
Location: Sydney
Contact:

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 30 Nov 2018, 07:36

I think there's a pretty clear connection. It's like they took one aspect of early Radiohead and ran with it, and ran with it, and ran with it ...
king of the divan

User avatar
Ghost of Harry Smith
Posts: 2515
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 04:43
Location: shyddney, orstralia
Contact:

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 30 Nov 2018, 21:01

mentalist (slight return) wrote:I think there's a pretty clear connection. It's like they took one aspect of early Radiohead and ran with it, and ran with it, and ran with it ...


They’re not the only ones are they? In the early 00s there was Travis, a few of their hits on The Man Who sounded a lot like the more commercial Radiohead hits, also Muse, who really get on my tits but seem to have the crowds on their side.

User avatar
Hightea
Posts: 1578
Joined: 16 Apr 2015, 02:18
Location: NY state

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Hightea » 30 Nov 2018, 21:43

Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:I think there's a pretty clear connection. It's like they took one aspect of early Radiohead and ran with it, and ran with it, and ran with it ...


also Muse, who really get on my tits but seem to have the crowds on their side.


while I agree that Muse started off as a copy of Radiohead, both bands have gone in such different directions since 2000 that you just can't say that anymore. Its okay to not like either but they are not like bands even remotely anymore.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 46976
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Quaco » 30 Nov 2018, 21:54

The new Radiohead. The three scariest words in the language!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
harvey k-tel
Long Player
Posts: 40261
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby harvey k-tel » 30 Nov 2018, 22:45

Muse might be the worst popular band there is.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Ghost of Harry Smith
Posts: 2515
Joined: 22 Jul 2003, 04:43
Location: shyddney, orstralia
Contact:

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 01 Dec 2018, 00:05

Hightea wrote:
Ghost of Harry Smith wrote:
mentalist (slight return) wrote:I think there's a pretty clear connection. It's like they took one aspect of early Radiohead and ran with it, and ran with it, and ran with it ...


also Muse, who really get on my tits but seem to have the crowds on their side.


while I agree that Muse started off as a copy of Radiohead, both bands have gone in such different directions since 2000 that you just can't say that anymore. Its okay to not like either but they are not like bands even remotely anymore.


Yeah that's fair enough, but I wrote about Travis and Muse in the early '00s specifically when they were aping Radiohead. Muse have copied lots of others since then, like Queen.

User avatar
Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez
Posts: 37336
Joined: 23 Jul 2003, 20:02
Location: The Good, the Bad, both ugly
Contact:

Re: why is Coldplay not the new Radiohead?

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 01 Dec 2018, 13:05

harvey k-tel wrote:Muse might be the worst popular band there is.




but they all learned it from Be-Bop Deluxe.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod


Image