Page 3 of 4

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 26 Aug 2019, 10:43
by C
soundchaser wrote:I wonder: is In A Garda Da Vida the daddy of the prog rock epic? What do you think?


Good call!

Robust stuff!








.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 27 Aug 2019, 13:53
by soundchaser
Francis Monkman's LSD trip. Far Out!


Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 28 Aug 2019, 15:38
by C
Indeed
















.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 28 Aug 2019, 19:13
by soundchaser
C wrote:


.


Lots of really good live Genesis on You Tube: this is a great example.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 28 Aug 2019, 21:59
by joels344


I’ve been obsessed with this track recently. It’s becoming one of my favorite prog pieces from the 1980s.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 28 Aug 2019, 22:18
by Graham Murakami


or any of the songs on the new Follakzoid album

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 09:40
by soundchaser
Diamond Dog wrote:Rush "Xanadu".. just over eleven minutes....



I have very fond memories of first hearing Xanadu on The Friday Night Rock Show, hosted by the amazing Tommy Vance.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 12:12
by Purgatory Brite


An epic from 2019!

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 15:52
by soundchaser
They're playing my song Ma!



Prog/Fusion.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 29 Aug 2019, 16:06
by soundchaser
Lord Rother wrote:Are you sitting comfortably?

27 mins of brilliance. The word “epic” could have been created for this.



Take a bow LR, this is really good. Obviously strong on the Yes references, with possibly Utopia, but hey, so what!

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 30 Aug 2019, 06:58
by Lord Rother
Hey, glad you enjoyed it. There’s a lot going on and I found it took me a while to fully appreciate, but now it is an absolute favourite.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 30 Aug 2019, 11:58
by Neige
soundchaser wrote:I wonder: is In A Garda Da Vida the daddy of the prog rock epic? What do you think?


No.

Haven't heard (or even wanted to hear) it for ages, but it's just a riff repeated ad nauseam with solos by all band members, isn't it? Might as well take the side-long Revelation by Love, from 1967.




Anyway, here's something real nice that came up on my iPod yesterday - from the 1971 debut by Swiss band Toad (and try to ignore the clumsy lyrics, listen to the amazing bass lines instead).


Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 30 Aug 2019, 12:01
by Neige
... and thanks for resurrecting this thread, Lord Rother,I'm looking forward to listen to the new ones tonight

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 30 Aug 2019, 18:22
by Lord Rother
I think it calls for a Spotify playlist for the daily car commute.... I got stuck after listening to 3 or 4 from these links.

They are so LONG! :)

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 30 Aug 2019, 21:02
by Lord Rother
Holy Mother of God!

I discovered Earthless a few years ago, loved what I heard and then pretty much forgot about them. Looking through some old stuff came across them this afternoon and thought of this thread.

They’re not really prog, more space / psychedelic / jam but as they feature in progarchives I think they just about fit.

I think this is stunning. Some might find it boring as it’s pretty much a 25 minute guitar solo but holy crap, what a noise and well captured by the video.

I hope somebody else enjoys this! It moves ME!


Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 09:59
by soundchaser
Lord Rother wrote:Holy Mother of God!

I discovered Earthless a few years ago, loved what I heard and then pretty much forgot about them. Looking through some old stuff came across them this afternoon and thought of this thread.

They’re not really prog, more space / psychedelic / jam but as they feature in progarchives I think they just about fit.

I think this is stunning. Some might find it boring as it’s pretty much a 25 minute guitar solo but holy crap, what a noise and well captured by the video.

I hope somebody else enjoys this! It moves ME!



Why take a 30 second guitar solo when 25 minutes will do :D. Seriously good playing, though. Intense.

i would love to be down the front watching this with a few beers inside me.

That would have been me shaking my hair back in the day.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 10:04
by soundchaser


Can I just say, I was at this show. One of the experiences of my life.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 11:17
by never/ever
A friend of mine with the guy who fronts a band of which C met the guitarist.. ..


Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 16:44
by soundchaser
never/ever wrote:A friend of mine with the guy who fronts a band of which C met the guitarist.. ..




Very, very good. A new one on me. Tell me more.

Re: Prog Epics

Posted: 31 Aug 2019, 17:04
by C
soundchaser wrote:
never/ever wrote:A friend of mine with the guy who fronts a band of which C met the guitarist.. ..




Very, very good. A new one on me. Tell me more.


Marty Willson-Piper

[a very robust track]






.