Proto-rock'n'roll: "How High the Moon" (1951)

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Proto-rock'n'roll: "How High the Moon" (1951)

Postby GoogaMooga » 14 Nov 2018, 23:33

"How High the Moon", by Les Paul & Mary Ford. It was at my last Jeff Beck concert, and Jeff Beck got out a vintage guitar and smiled gleefully at the audience: "Do you know what this is?" he asked us, "This is a Les Paul.", and then he pointed at it, and proceeded to play it, to playback of Les Paul's historic, proto-rock'n'roll recording from 1951.

from https://www.soundonsound.com/…/classic-tracks-les-paul-mary…

"We had to fold the Murphy bed into the wall in order to put the machinery in there," he recalls. "My buddy Wally Jones built the mixer. This had a channel for Mary to sing on and one for me to play the guitar, and there was no VU meter. With anything that we recorded there was never a VU meter and there were also no equalisers. I was flying absolutely blind. I went by my ear, wearing a pair of Armed Forces headphones that I think were in the range of 5Hz to 50kHz, and I'd just bring the level down a little bit if there was any distortion."

"In my case, I was so used to playing that, even without a meter, if I was going to hit a note I'd know that by hitting it here on the string it wouldn't record as loud as if I hit it there. And it was the same with Mary's vocals. She'd got to the point where no one had to tell her to back up on this note, move forward on that one, move sideways, or watch out for sibilance. We'd been doing it a long time and we were professionals."

"I had only one machine and, by the time we finished, the spliced tapes might be 6dB off and of a different bias. So, I'd press the record button and at that point the tape would go through and I'd be riding the gain to make everything the right level."

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Re: Proto-rock'n'roll: "How High the Moon" (1951)

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Nov 2018, 00:22

A deliriously great record - my favorite of theirs (and I love a lot of them).

Wonderful anecdote from Randy Bachman here (he's got a number of different versions of it, but this is one of the better ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlpb1zG0GlI&feature=youtu.be&t=1042

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Nov 2018, 03:10

Great single. Almost reminds me of something that Joe Meek would have done with that spacey, proto-psychedelic quality.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Nov 2018, 09:13

pcqgod wrote:Great single. Almost reminds me of something that Joe Meek would have done with that spacey, proto-psychedelic quality.

Wonder if Meek had heard of Les Paul, something for me to research. :)
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Nov 2018, 16:01

GoogaMooga wrote:Wonder if Meek had heard of Les Paul, something for me to research. :)

It is unimaginable that Meek wouldn't have known all about Paul.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Nov 2018, 16:48

Charlie O. wrote:A deliriously great record - my favorite of theirs (and I love a lot of them).

Wonderful anecdote from Randy Bachman here (he's got a number of different versions of it, but this is one of the better ones):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zlpb1zG0GlI&feature=youtu.be&t=1042

That was great, thanks.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”