JC's Godlike Genius #2

Do talk back

LLLLL

FUCKING HELL YEEEAAAHHHH!!!!
94%
Nice. Yes.
6%
I couldn't care less, really. Wouldn't turn it off.
No votes
good CHRIST this is BAD
No votes

Total votes: 17

Bent Fabric

Re: JC's Godlike Genius #2

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Nov 2018, 11:37

For whatever reason (and, yes, fucking "Tears of a Clown" absofuckinglutely God yes!), listening on headphones as I watch right now, this may be the first time I've really focused on the backing vocals in the pre-chorus: those chords they sing/form are quite modern and advanced (Brian Wilson would have killed for them!). As is often the magic of Motown, so much glorious detailing occurs NOT in the foreground of the picture, not drawing attention to itself, but giving these records such a majestic depth ("Grapevine" is another one where you finally really hear the backing vocals and kind of lose your mind with joy and awe).

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Nov 2018, 11:49

That's it, yeah. Like a secret pact between listener and producer, almost.

When I was a teen my mates used to take the piss 'cos I was a Motown fan - they regarded it as throwaway pop no better than SAW (or so they said at the time - I can't believe they themselves really thought that). But it's all really high-level art, everybody involved a master.

I was reading somewhere (maybe Wiki) that this song features a calliope - which I had to look up...

something like this?

and I guess it's the tuba-like sound you hear the accompanies the bass at the start of each bar...?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 12 Nov 2018, 11:52

'oh bee' wrote:That's it, yeah. Like a secret pact between listener and producer, almost.

Right, like..."I don't need you to explicitly notice it, but I do need you to feel it and react to it."

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 12 Nov 2018, 13:08

'oh bee' wrote:I was reading somewhere (maybe Wiki) that this song features a calliope - which I had to look up...

and I guess it's the tuba-like sound you hear the accompanies the bass at the start of each bar...?

A calliope is a fairground organ. I think that it's what's playing the introductory refrain at the beginning.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 12 Nov 2018, 13:19

'oh bee' wrote:That's it, yeah. Like a secret pact between listener and producer, almost.

That really is it though - that is Motown. When you actually dive behind the obvious, as JSJ says, loads of tracks are absolutely stacked with subtle detail that never grabs your attention but were it not there, the tune would lose masses of impact. It's the majestic way so much of that detail is beautifully understated that makes it so sublime.

There was a reason we never saw a label produce that amount of high class product, and never will again - it's because I don't believe a set of writers, engineers, producers, musicians and artists ever bought into the 'label' ethic quite the same way. They all knew each part was absolutely essential - but the mystique of not knowing exactly how those parts all fitted together was very much the major reason it continued to work. They were all in awe of eachother for entirely different reasons.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 12 Nov 2018, 13:39

Great song but I can't get past Ronald White's hair arrangement.

I did, of course, know who Pagliacci is...

Bugger off.

Rorschach
Location: The north side of my town faces east, and the east faces south

Postby Rorschach » 12 Nov 2018, 13:41

'oh bee' wrote:

I always thought that was a bassoon.
Bugger off.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Nov 2018, 13:44

oh OK!

the Wiki entry says it (calliope) emits a powerful, low-frequency sound
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”