Midnight Marauders & Enter the Wu-Tang - 25 Years Later

Do talk back
SlangKing

Midnight Marauders & Enter the Wu-Tang - 25 Years Later

Postby SlangKing » 09 Nov 2018, 19:50

vs.

Both released November 9, 1993, so both are 25 years old today. I was 17 at the time and had these on nearly constant rotation. For Tribe, it was a definite peak and sadly, they wouldn't do anything close to this good until 2016's excellent farewell album. Q Tip was his uniformly fantastic self, but Phife seemed to have grown by leaps and bounds on his tracks.

And Wu-Tang was visceral and dizzying - an instantly recognizable production aesthetic and ridiculous amount of distinct, fully-formed styles on the mic. In retrospect the tightness of the album is really let down by some of the long-winded sketches buried in there - but holy shit does the music still pack a punch.

So what do we think 25 years on?
Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Darkness_Fish

Re: Midnight Marauders & Enter the Wu-Tang - 25 Years Later

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Nov 2018, 20:32

Enter the Wu Tang is a proper one-off, a moment of genius which shows how quite often the best music is made by those with really limited resources. I'm not the biggest hip-hop fan here by any means, but imo, none of them ever came close to this level again. That production job, with its long manipulated soul samples with grainy quality caused by imperfect equipment, it's absolute perfection via poverty. I think a lot of the credit has to go to Ol' Dirty Bastard, too. He's just the most instantly recognisable vocalist, you first think he's some kind of Bez-like chancer, and before you know it you're waiting for him to make an appearance again, he's a big factor in raising the album from monochrome to technicolour. Pity about those shitty skits, mind.

Can't say I was ever that interested in Tribe, myself. Y'never know though, I might check it out again one day.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

SlangKing

Postby SlangKing » 09 Nov 2018, 23:16

You're dead on with that the description of the production - perfection via poverty. It's something they lost as soon as Wu Tang Forever dropped. I think in large part, the reverance for Liquid Swords is in part due to how closely the productions hew to the original debut.

ODB really did ooze character everytime he popped in - he and Method Man really had the most distinctive vocals out the gate. My favorite always was GZA's turn on Clan in Da Front. Anyway, apparently they celebrated today with an appearance on Good Morning Amercia complete with ODB's son in tow. Can't say I saw that coming in 1993...

Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Nov 2018, 23:32

SlangKing wrote:Image

Both released November 9, 1993, so both are 25 years old today. I was 17 at the time and had these on nearly constant rotation. For Tribe, it was a definite peak and sadly, they wouldn't do anything close to this good until 2016's excellent farewell album. Q Tip was his uniformly fantastic self, but Phife seemed to have grown by leaps and bounds on his tracks.

I'm a big Q-Tip fan, but Phife absolutely owns that album.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

$P.Muff$

Postby $P.Muff$ » 10 Nov 2018, 00:39

"C.R.E.A.M." is the best track from either album. I don't find the Wu sketches to be such a nuisance in comparison to another record from that year, 'Doggystyle', but with the rare exception, hip hop sketches are a pain.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 10 Nov 2018, 00:40

Got rid of all the Wu-Tang because of the skits
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Nov 2018, 01:58

I can't really give these records their adequate due. Twin towers---somehow I didn't realize they came out on the same day! This was when I listened to a lot of this stuff and for me, Midnight Marauders is the one I still listen to. I'm not sure which one is better or what, but the older I got, the less fun the Wu Tang record was. But I never tire of Midnight Marauders. I love the perfect narcotic production---it helps that all the songs seem to have about the same pace or BPM or whatever. It's a masterpiece in any genre.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 10 Nov 2018, 13:37

LeBaron wrote:I can't really give these records their adequate due. Twin towers---somehow I didn't realize they came out on the same day! This was when I listened to a lot of this stuff and for me, Midnight Marauders is the one I still listen to. I'm not sure which one is better or what, but the older I got, the less fun the Wu Tang record was. But I never tire of Midnight Marauders. I love the perfect narcotic production---it helps that all the songs seem to have about the same pace or BPM or whatever. It's a masterpiece in any genre.

I came to MM later than 36C - around a decade after it was released! It’s therefore a little fresher to my ears now for the reasons you state. But they’re both 10/10 genre defining records. In fact, I’m struggling to think of any released since then that beats them. Maybe Liquid Swords is on the same level.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Nov 2018, 16:14

LeBaron wrote:I can't really give these records their adequate due. Twin towers---somehow I didn't realize they came out on the same day! This was when I listened to a lot of this stuff and for me, Midnight Marauders is the one I still listen to. I'm not sure which one is better or what, but the older I got, the less fun the Wu Tang record was. But I never tire of Midnight Marauders.

Ditto.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”