Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Do talk back
User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 05 Nov 2018, 20:24

Should be worth the wait.


The legal wrangling created the appearance of enmity between camps, and the late singer was not always an easy read when it came to business matters. But in the midst of the imbroglio, Franklin told the Detroit Free Press that she “loved” the movie, a DVD edit of which Elliott had sent her years ago. The quality of the film itself was never at issue, as it straightforwardly documented what many Franklin buffs consider to be her greatest performance, a two-night stand of pure gospel music recorded with an ace band of Atlantic Records musicians and the Rev. James Cleveland’s choir at a South-Central L.A. church in January 1972 — as released in audio form later that year on what is still the bestselling gospel album of all time.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43431
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Still Baron » 05 Nov 2018, 23:50

OH HELL YES
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 06 Nov 2018, 00:13

Funny how things start happening when the estate takes over business matters.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40084
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Nov 2018, 00:33

Yeah, I'll see that.
Image

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 25461
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2018, 08:33

I am enjoying the hell out of the new Atlantic mono singles collection.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

sloopjohnc
Posts: 63921
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Nov 2018, 19:25

GoogaMooga wrote:I am enjoying the hell out of the new Atlantic mono singles collection.


Me too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 13 Nov 2018, 01:17

Rolling Stone review

The evidence of Franklin’s physically overwhelming singing, apparently dangerous when encountered at close range, continues to mount. The gospel great Clara Ward throws her head into her hands, stunned by the force of Franklin’s improvisations just a few feet away. [Rev. James] Cleveland expresses his appreciation by throwing his handkerchief playfully at the singer; he misses Franklin and dings the camera lens instead. At another moment, the camera zooms to the back left corner of the church, where Mick Jagger can be spotted bopping along with the choir and clapping vigorously.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 40084
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2018, 01:34

I thought I saw Jagger in the trailer, but then I looked again and decided it wasn't him. Should have worn his Omega cape.
Image

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 13 Nov 2018, 02:19

Charlie O. wrote:I thought I saw Jagger in the trailer, but then I looked again and decided it wasn't him. Should have worn his Omega cape.


Wait -- there's a trailer?

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 16752
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Neige » 13 Nov 2018, 14:11

Muskrat wrote:


Wow!! :shock:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43431
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Still Baron » 18 Apr 2019, 15:43

This is in theaters now. It won’t last long. Go now.

I can’t over emphasize how stoked I am for this.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 18 Apr 2019, 20:10

Here's the, how can I put it?, official trailer:

Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43431
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Still Baron » 19 Apr 2019, 13:32

I saw it last night and plan to go again soon in the week. It's easily one of the best music films I've ever seen. It is Aretha Franklin at the peak of her powers in a nearly ideal situation, and it is almost purely focused on the performance. No silly talking heads, commentary, or contrived narrative arc. Just music. There's also the time capsule element and the lovely texture of the early seventies on film (though I'm sure it is a digital projection). My only complaints are some curious edits. I mainly listen to this as the "unabridged" double cd version, so there were some real clunker edits, particularly on "Mary Don't You Weep," where they cut out the best bit of the performance. It could've been 25 minutes longer, but these are minor quarrels.

Despite the lip service we give Aretha Franklin as "Queen of Soul" and all that, I think we really undervalue her actual gifts. If the whole religion trip creeps you out, just think of her as a Coltrane or Duane Allman figure, blowing it out with her voice instead of a saxophone or guitar. Phenomenal.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Six String
Posts: 20297
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Six String » 19 Apr 2019, 17:18

I'm going to go sometime this weekend. Looking forward to it.

User avatar
Still Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43431
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Still Baron » 20 Apr 2019, 14:55

Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30223
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Minnie the Minx » Today, 02:31

Saw it tonight!
Fuck, what a voice.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30223
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Minnie the Minx » Today, 02:39

Still Baron wrote:Here’s a more ... academic take.

http://bostonreview.net/literature-cult ... zing-grace


Ed Pavlic : not to be invited to parties
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Posts: 21038
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 01:05
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » Today, 05:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Still Baron wrote:Here’s a more ... academic take.

http://bostonreview.net/literature-cult ... zing-grace


Ed Pavlic : not to be invited to parties


I’m sure he’s too busy at faculty mixers, anyway. Or reading his thesaurus.

Ed Pavlić is author of eleven published or forthcoming books. His most recent work includes Live at the Bitter End (Saturnalia Books 2018), Who Can Afford to Improvise?: James Baldwin and Black Music, the Lyric and the Listener (Fordham UP 2016), Let’s Let That Are Not Yet: Inferno (Fence Books 2015) and Visiting Hours at the Color Line (Milkweed Editions 2013). He is Distinguished Research Professor in the English Department and in the Institute for African American Studies at the University of Georgia.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Mike Boom wrote:It is brilliant of course, probably the best of the complete Thick as a Brick boots.

User avatar
modharper
Just a hunk a hunk of burnin' love
Posts: 1093
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 18:02
Contact:

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby modharper » Today, 11:43

I saw this last month during SXSW. It was a transcendent experience.

I'd been having a pretty bad week, was feeling ill and very low, had barely left my AirBNB all week, and as I began to emerge from under the black cloud that Saturday morning, I felt like a little visit to the cinema - where I can sit in the dark for a couple of hours and not have to talk to anyone - would be quite the tonic.

And it was. I was moved to tears. I felt spiritually cleansed. It elated me. I realised at one point I'd sunken so deep in my chair that I was almost horizontal; it was almost like a baptism.

Afterwards, I actually needed an hour to compose myself until I felt ready again to communicate with another person.

As the Baron said, it's simply a fly on the wall document of the two church performances, with no other narrative or plot or contributions from elsewhere other than the short paragraph of context at the very beginning. In that, I feel like I was in the perfect time, place and mindset to see this film. I don't doubt that it wouldn't be as effective if watching alone at home, or consuming on the phone while on the go, but to spend one afternoon captivated in a theater surrounded by likeminded soul and gospel fans that were surely feeling the same joy as I was, it was pretty special.

Oh, and it definitely IS Mick Jagger that you saw; he and Charlie Watts are soaking up the atmosphere at the back of the hall in footage from the second night.

Exquisite.
THIS WAY FOR A COWBOY'S BREAKFAST
Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 30223
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Minnie the Minx » Today, 11:56

modharper wrote:I saw this last month during SXSW. It was a transcendent experience.

I'd been having a pretty bad week, was feeling ill and very low, had barely left my AirBNB all week, and as I began to emerge from under the black cloud that Saturday morning, I felt like a little visit to the cinema - where I can sit in the dark for a couple of hours and not have to talk to anyone - would be quite the tonic.

And it was. I was moved to tears. I felt spiritually cleansed. It elated me. I realised at one point I'd sunken so deep in my chair that I was almost horizontal; it was almost like a baptism.

Afterwards, I actually needed an hour to compose myself until I felt ready again to communicate with another person.

As the Baron said, it's simply a fly on the wall document of the two church performances, with no other narrative or plot or contributions from elsewhere other than the short paragraph of context at the very beginning. In that, I feel like I was in the perfect time, place and mindset to see this film. I don't doubt that it wouldn't be as effective if watching alone at home, or consuming on the phone while on the go, but to spend one afternoon captivated in a theater surrounded by likeminded soul and gospel fans that were surely feeling the same joy as I was, it was pretty special.

Oh, and it definitely IS Mick Jagger that you saw; he and Charlie Watts are soaking up the atmosphere at the back of the hall in footage from the second night.

Exquisite.


Lovely write up, modharper!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?