Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Do talk back
Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby Muskrat » 05 Nov 2018, 20:24

Should be worth the wait.

The legal wrangling created the appearance of enmity between camps, and the late singer was not always an easy read when it came to business matters. But in the midst of the imbroglio, Franklin told the Detroit Free Press that she “loved” the movie, a DVD edit of which Elliott had sent her years ago. The quality of the film itself was never at issue, as it straightforwardly documented what many Franklin buffs consider to be her greatest performance, a two-night stand of pure gospel music recorded with an ace band of Atlantic Records musicians and the Rev. James Cleveland’s choir at a South-Central L.A. church in January 1972 — as released in audio form later that year on what is still the bestselling gospel album of all time.
Things that a fella can't forget...

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Re: Finally! The "lost" Aretha gospel concert film

Postby LeBaron » 05 Nov 2018, 23:50

OH HELL YES
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 06 Nov 2018, 00:13

Funny how things start happening when the estate takes over business matters.

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 06 Nov 2018, 00:33

Yeah, I'll see that.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 06 Nov 2018, 08:33

I am enjoying the hell out of the new Atlantic mono singles collection.
1966 and all that

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 06 Nov 2018, 19:25

GoogaMooga wrote:I am enjoying the hell out of the new Atlantic mono singles collection.

Me too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 13 Nov 2018, 01:17

Rolling Stone review

The evidence of Franklin’s physically overwhelming singing, apparently dangerous when encountered at close range, continues to mount. The gospel great Clara Ward throws her head into her hands, stunned by the force of Franklin’s improvisations just a few feet away. [Rev. James] Cleveland expresses his appreciation by throwing his handkerchief playfully at the singer; he misses Franklin and dings the camera lens instead. At another moment, the camera zooms to the back left corner of the church, where Mick Jagger can be spotted bopping along with the choir and clapping vigorously.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Nov 2018, 01:34

I thought I saw Jagger in the trailer, but then I looked again and decided it wasn't him. Should have worn his Omega cape.

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 13 Nov 2018, 02:19

Charlie O. wrote:I thought I saw Jagger in the trailer, but then I looked again and decided it wasn't him. Should have worn his Omega cape.

Wait -- there's a trailer?

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 13 Nov 2018, 14:11

Muskrat wrote:

Wow!! :shock:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge