Reissue labels that we like

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Reissue labels that we like

Postby GoogaMooga » 03 Nov 2018, 15:01

Here's the scam: choose a reissue label that may not be weil known to BCB folk. Describe it in glowing terms, why you think it's good to collect their product. Make the whole sales pitch here.

Okay, I will start, hope others will join in.

Shout-out to Goldies, a CD reissue label based in Portugal. They mainly do comps and they do them well. I first started noticing their product in the new century, but they go back to the mid-90s, at least. At first sight they appear to be "petrol station", with cheap, generic cover art and no liner notes, but then you get the generous tracklists and that all-important info, "Digitally remastered". Now, remasters aren't always good, but Goldies gets it right. And I am not the only one who has cottoned on to their product, some of their OOP CDs fetch top dollar.

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Re: Reissue labels that we like

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 05 Nov 2018, 17:20

Dub Store Records from Japan -

great reissue programme of classic reggae, see:

Go here:

https://dubstorerecords.bandcamp.com/
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Nov 2018, 17:34

Looks VERY interesting, thanks for the tip!
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 05 Nov 2018, 17:57

Repertoire

BGO

Ace Records

Not Now music

Angel Air

Talking Elephant

Raven

Cherry Red

etc, etc
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Nov 2018, 20:34

never heard of Talking Elephant

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Nov 2018, 21:07

I'm not gonna do a big write-up, but I've been very impressed by Light In The Attic and Omnivore.

Sundazed is still mostly good.

Real Gone Music (the US label, not the UK expired-copyright one) does a great job, though their choices of what to reissue are often baffling to me.

Iconoclassic is terrific, but not prolific.

Sunbeam (which doesn't seem to have a website, at least not that Google can find) does nice work.

And Water Records, which I think was started by ex-Rhino people, is a fantastic label that for whatever reason seems bent on keeping its existence (and its releases) a secret.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 05 Nov 2018, 21:46

I like Real Gone a lot, they do those complete (mono) singles A and B-sides comps.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Nov 2018, 15:17

Lately I'm digging the Rock Candy label, but if you don't care about melodic hard rock/metal from the late 70's through hair metal period, you won't be interested. They have a cool magazine also, with Queen on the cover of the latest issue.

Also, Rockadrome, which is similar but its purview goes back to obscure late 60's/early 70's stuff, so ideal for collectors who seek out reissues of private pressing records by locally popular hard rock outfits.

Might as well also give a shout out to longtime favorite Arf! Arf! Records, run by Erik Lindgren who is a very cool guy. Arf! Arf! pretty much exclusively releases music that falls into the categories of 60's era garage and psych, outsider music, and Lindgren's own experimental work, and their series of "Cheapo" samplers always give you a nice cross-section of music from each category.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 06 Nov 2018, 16:51

Just checked that Rockadrome site.

Hard 'n Heavy, alright.

But they have some good stuff on there.

edit: they even have Burnin' Plague. that's Belgian 70's Hard Rock.

edit 2: more obscure Belgians - Dr.Downtrip, Lagger Blues Band, Irish Coffee, Djingis Khan.

trouble with the whole site: half of it is out of stock (and probably will never be found again). pity.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 07 Nov 2018, 14:56

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Just checked that Rockadrome site.

Hard 'n Heavy, alright.

But they have some good stuff on there.

edit: they even have Burnin' Plague. that's Belgian 70's Hard Rock.

edit 2: more obscure Belgians - Dr.Downtrip, Lagger Blues Band, Irish Coffee, Djingis Khan.

trouble with the whole site: half of it is out of stock (and probably will never be found again). pity.

Yeah, that's the thing about reissues. You gotta get them when the getting's good.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 07 Nov 2018, 21:55

Numero Group has put out some very good historic releases recently - complete recordings of the Scientists, early Husker Du tpaes which turned out to be quite a revelation - better than the recordings we've heard before! I'll be keeping an eye on them.

Superior Viaduct has also done some of my favorite releases of the last few years. Finally got the proper tapes of Crime, also titles by Flesh Eaters, Residents, Faust, Alice Coltrane and Bert Jansch.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”