Luke Haines writes about Village Green reissue

Do talk back
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Luke Haines writes about Village Green reissue

Postby Neige » 25 Oct 2018, 10:16

Good read, here's the opening paragraph:

In the United Kingdom, home to a royal family appointed by God who live in various castles; five-day cricket matches, football hooligans, innate conservatism, quiet revolution, natural surrealism, and cider that tastes of dead rats; drunkenness, habitual racism, suspicion of everything, Victorian politicians, a never ending empirical hangover, delusional grandeur, white sliced bread, drizzle, and endless doubles entendres – and this is just the good stuff ­– it is, to all intents and purposes, illegal to not like The Kinks.

https://spectator.us/kinks-brexit-britain/
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Luke Haines writes about Village Green reissue

Postby Deebank » 25 Oct 2018, 11:19

A Kinks wind-break, a year’s supply of cat food with Mick Avory’s face on it, a T-shirt bearing the legend ‘Why don’t you play it with your cock?

:lol:

I don't know about his recorded output but Luke Haines is a great writer - his Britpop memoir, Bad Vibes is one of the best music autobiogs - up there with Cope's mighty Head-On.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 27 Oct 2018, 21:23

It's nice to see him in work, but he's better than that opening paragraph surely.

I prefer his music anyway. He has a tremendous ouevre, but lets face it, when your best song is called Unsolved Child Murder, you are never going to sell millions.

mantochanga

Postby mantochanga » 03 Nov 2018, 00:04

In Record Collector the other month he wrote about the "crisis meeting" where the Leighton Buzzards changed their name to Modern Romance. Ha ha! Brilliant!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Nov 2018, 07:57

mantochanga wrote:In Record Collector the other month he wrote about the "crisis meeting" where the Leighton Buzzards changed their name to Modern Romance. Ha ha! Brilliant!

:o

That I never knew.

I was shocked and surprised to discover on visiting Canada in the early 80s that Modern Romance were a completely different band in Canada to the familiar UK versions . Same songs mind you just different people - like they’d bought the Canadian franchise or something.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro