Macca Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway deluxe boxes.

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Macca Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway deluxe boxes.

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Oct 2018, 16:01

https://www.paulmccartney.com/news-blog ... e-speedway

There's even a deluxe version for $400.

Mike Boom

Re: Macca Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway deluxe boxes.

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Oct 2018, 16:09

Snap, beat me to it

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Oct 2018, 16:19

I don't know how you guys can afford this stuff. I waver hitting the "Buy" button on discogs for one vinyl album at $20 because of the shipping.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 19 Oct 2018, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Oct 2018, 16:35

:oops: We are lost souls John, with absolutely nothing else to do with our lives.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 19 Oct 2018, 16:49

I can’t afford any of these but if bonus tracks and outtakes end up on Spotify that will delight me. The Ram extras are better than most peoples albums.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Oct 2018, 16:55

ChrisChopping wrote:I can’t afford any of these but if bonus tracks and outtakes end up on Spotify that will delight me. The Ram extras are better than most peoples albums.

I get that. I don't get the $400.

For $400, McCartney should come to my house, play the songs, and discuss the history of each.

Then, maybe. . .
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 19 Oct 2018, 16:57

Double album version of Red Rose Speedway!!! :shock: :shock: :D

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 19 Oct 2018, 17:01

Also I’ll be happy if these reissues lead to articles/reviews reevaluating these albums.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Oct 2018, 17:07

ChrisChopping wrote:Also I’ll be happy if these reissues lead to articles/reviews reevaluating these albums.

That's the thing, they're just okay. Red Rose Speedway really isn't all that. Maybe I'll appreciate it more having it expanded to a double LP as it was originally intended, but the album as it exists is one of McCartney's least satisfying '70s LPs. Wild Life, despite Yomp's endorsement, is only marginally better.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 19 Oct 2018, 18:09

Matt Wilson wrote:
ChrisChopping wrote:Also I’ll be happy if these reissues lead to articles/reviews reevaluating these albums.

That's the thing, they're just okay. Red Rose Speedway really isn't all that. Maybe I'll appreciate it more having it expanded to a double LP as it was originally intended, but the album as it exists is one of McCartney's least satisfying '70s LPs. Wild Life, despite Yomp's endorsement, is only marginally better.

I can see the flaws in Wildlife. But it has a real joy to it, which only McCartney has ever equaled for me. I love it when Macca just freestyles and does as he pleases, without worrying about a million overdubs. Wildlife is free and easy, joyous and raw. It does it for me.
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 18:12

What about if they say "even worse now than they appeared at the time" ?

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 19 Oct 2018, 19:06

Matt Wilson wrote:

Even if they get re-evaluated and people say they’re just okay, that’s still a big improvement on the received wisdom that these albums are shit.
Even if people think they’re shit I still like reading about McCartney’s music with any sort of analytical bent.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 19 Oct 2018, 19:11

I'll tell ya why I buy things like this, it's not because I necessarily think the albums are great or anything, it's because if that uber box is $400 now, ($448 with shipping plus tax) then it's gonna be closer to $1000 when and if it sells out. I'm not sure if it's a limited edition thing or not. It appeals to the collector in me more than the music lover.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 19 Oct 2018, 19:18

For the record, I love most of both of these records, I think My Love is the worst thing on either.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 19 Oct 2018, 20:52

The Modernist wrote:

What about if they say "even worse now than they appeared at the time" ?

:lol:
They should come with a sticker on the cover "Now Even Worse - with extra unwanted tracks"

Im interested in hearing the double album version of Red Rose , it has the potential to be interesting.
Last edited by Mike Boom on 19 Oct 2018, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 19 Oct 2018, 21:02

I took a trawl through the bootlegs of studio outtakes from the period on Youtube recently and it's pretty dire. Unless he's sitting on stuff that's substantially better than what's out there (and I kind of doubt he is), I'm not going anywhere near this, much less paying many hundreds of dollars to have it gather dust on a shelf.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 19 Oct 2018, 23:02

I bought BOTR, RAM and McCartney when they were released as deluxe editions (this is something like over 6 years ago).

They have mostly sat unmolested on the same shelf for many years now.

And yet - some part of me absolutely thinks I need to find some way to buy the big $400.00 box.

Do I need James Paul McCartney on DVD? Probably not, but...I'm 100% convinced that I do.

(Also - I really love Red Rose Speedway a lot)

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 19 Oct 2018, 23:08

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Oct 2018, 02:01

Bent Fabric wrote:I bought BOTR, RAM and McCartney when they were released as deluxe editions (this is something like over 6 years ago).

They have mostly sat unmolested on the same shelf for many years now.

And yet - some part of me absolutely thinks I need to find some way to buy the big $400.00 box.

Do I need James Paul McCartney on DVD? Probably not, but...I'm 100% convinced that I do.

(Also - I really love Red Rose Speedway a lot)

Don't do what I did, John - try MusicVaultz and use the code WELCOME. It should come out to about $371. Tell me if it works and I might cancel my order with McCartney's site.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 20 Oct 2018, 02:33

Matt Wilson wrote:Don't do what I did, John - try MusicVaultz and use the code WELCOME. It should come out to about $371. Tell me if it works and I might cancel my order with McCartney's site.

Oh, yeah - I'm not remotely in any position to buy the thing right now. This might be a "cross your fingers and hope it doesn't vanish before mid January" scenario for me.

Return to “Yakety Yak”