Macca Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway deluxe boxes.

Do talk back
ChrisChopping

Re: Macca Wild Life & Red Rose Speedway deluxe boxes.

Postby ChrisChopping » 20 Oct 2018, 11:44

Really interesting to hear that version of love and let die before George Martin got his hands on it. (Not that I don’t love the finished version but interesting to see how much was already in place)

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 24 Jan 2019, 18:35

I completely forgot these were coming out! I’ve been listening to the extras on Spotify over the last few days.

I loved the extra tracks on RAM so much I got my hopes a bit sky high if I’m being honest.

The Wildlife extras are pretty bare bones and nothing to get excited about at all. Red Rose Soeedway has some fun stuff though. None of it feels essential but lots of it is charming and I Lie Around is a particular treat. It reminds me of Ronnie Lane.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jan 2019, 02:19

ChrisChopping wrote:I completely forgot these were coming out! I’ve been listening to the extras on Spotify over the last few days.

I loved the extra tracks on RAM so much I got my hopes a bit sky high if I’m being honest.

The Wildlife extras are pretty bare bones and nothing to get excited about at all. Red Rose Soeedway has some fun stuff though. None of it feels essential but lots of it is charming and I Lie Around is a particular treat. It reminds me of Ronnie Lane.

I really like I Lie Around too. The best on the Wildlife bonus disk was When The Wind Is Blowing but the rest was mostly forgettable which is hardly surprising given the album proper is largely poor. I was hoping to be able to reassess it positively but sadly no, it is what it is, half hearted uninspired and throwaway.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 25 Jan 2019, 09:27

I actually really like the wildlife album but my understanding, from memory, is that they pretty much went into the studio, recorded the few songs they had and jammed a couple of tracks and that was that, it was all done quite quickly. So I guess it’s not surprising there aren’t any hidden gems to dust off for this though I would’ve welcomed a crazy 17 minute version of Mumbo!

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2019, 13:15

trans-chigley express wrote:
ChrisChopping wrote:I completely forgot these were coming out! I’ve been listening to the extras on Spotify over the last few days.

I really like I Lie Around too. The best on the Wildlife bonus disk was When The Wind Is Blowing but the rest was mostly forgettable which is hardly surprising given the album proper is largely poor. I was hoping to be able to reassess it positively but sadly no, it is what it is, half hearted uninspired and throwaway.

Good grief. Way to miss the whole point of the record.
You don't like me...do you?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jan 2019, 14:17

yomptepi wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:

Good grief. Way to miss the whole point of the record.

Are you suggesting he meant to release a turd?

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 25 Jan 2019, 14:55

It is very much in the style of both Ram and McCartney. Rough and ready , and at times almost demo quality. But I think these records have a charm and quality that his better produced records lack. They have an intimacy and enthusiasm which disappears once production values click in. Its a personal opinion, but i find Macca a lot less interesting the more produced he is.
You don't like me...do you?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jan 2019, 21:14

yomptepi wrote:It is very much in the style of both Ram and McCartney. Rough and ready , and at times almost demo quality. But I think these records have a charm and quality that his better produced records lack. They have an intimacy and enthusiasm which disappears once production values click in. Its a personal opinion, but i find Macca a lot less interesting the more produced he is.

I can appreciate that quality on those albums but for me what sets McCartney and Ram apart from Wildlife is that both those albums are full of terrific songs but with Wildlife he forgot to write any.