The Unsung Heroes of American Psychedelia

Do talk back
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Unsung Heroes of American Psychedelia

Postby The Modernist » 16 Oct 2018, 18:03

Try this Count. The vocals are a bit nondescript (they should've got the bird to sing), but there's a real mellifluous lightness of touch here to create a truly immersive soundscape.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 16 Oct 2018, 18:20

As for the US of A, that listening was many years ago. Who knows how I'd react today. I might even like it. I don't stand still...
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Oct 2018, 18:30

Matt Wilson wrote::lol:

The old "if you don't agree with me then you're wrong" argument. The songs you posted go nowhere. Exercises in sound and faceless in nature.

CLOWN HOUR

with Matthew Wilson
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Oct 2018, 18:32

Oh, that's a good one!

Look everyone, Coan's returned to large font!!!

That's how you know he really means it!!!!!!!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Oct 2018, 19:12

I went travelling through the Balkans with a girlfriend in early 2004 and by the time we got to Sofia we fucking hated each other. As soon as we got to Thessaloniki she got the next flight back to the States and I spent a few days alone working out how to breathe again. Just a bad idea all round.

:lol:

Twice in one week!!!

Which one should I use?!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Oct 2018, 19:30

pcqgod wrote:The United States of America were very jazzy, pre-rock old-school music at their core.

I don't hear it (jazzy? old-school?) but I'm intrigued, if you care to expand on that. I agree that they sound like they came to rock late - like they would have regarded it as "slumming" (or worse) just a year or two previous. I do love that album, though.

pcqgod wrote:I enjoy some Ultimate Spinach but they don't seem to me at anywhere the same level of originality. To me, they sound more like music students who heard Iron Butterfly and The Doors and decided to start their own band.

Substitute that overrated SF band Country Joe & The Fish for Iron Butterfly and The Doors, and you've got it. Most songs on the first Spinach album have a direct musical and/or lyrical analog on the first Fish album ("Not So Sweet Martha Lorraine" -> "Hip Death Goddess", "The Masked Marauder" -> "Baroque #1", "Grace" -> "Pamela", etc.). I like it a lot anyway. Their second album was more original, though not necessarily better - some bits are stunning, though. The third Spinach album was a contractual obligation made by an almost completely different band (featuring the two singer/songwriter/guitarists from my unsung Bosstown heroes, Chamæleon Church) and has a completely different approach (more Moby Grape-ish); I enjoy that one most of all, but it's Ultimate Spinach in name only.

HP Lovecraft struck me as interesting yet not quite compelling - but it's been a while since I gave them a chance, and I'm willing to possibly be converted. I'll give that clip a listen later.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Oct 2018, 19:48

Never clicked with the Country Joe debt Charlie, I'll give those tracks a listen.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Oct 2018, 19:52

Time for another HP Lovecraft track. This was one was written by my man Terry Callier, an old Chicago mate of theirs.

It might be too 'head in the clouds' hippy for some, it is very ethereal, but I love its ghostly atmosphere. The arrangement, particular the strings, is inspired.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 16 Oct 2018, 20:07

The Modernist wrote:Never clicked with the Country Joe debt Charlie, I'll give those tracks a listen.

I will admit that I like "Hip Death Goddess" more than "NSSML"!

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 Oct 2018, 20:23

Charlie O. wrote:
pcqgod wrote:The United States of America were very jazzy, pre-rock old-school music at their core.

I don't hear it (jazzy? old-school?) but I'm intrigued, if you care to expand on that. I agree that they sound like they came to rock late - like they would have regarded it as "slumming" (or worse) just a year or two previous. I do love that album, though.

it's easier to hear than explain, unfortunately; the palette of chords, Dorothy Moskowitz' vocal style, the complete lack of blues and r & b elements and little sprinkles of old-time jazz/ragtime you hear at different points. Joe Byrd clearly also had more electronic music background than your typical rocker, and electronic music pre-dates rock music, also.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Oct 2018, 20:41

The Modernist wrote:The Ultimate Spinach had an austere, trance-like gothic sound..a little Grace Slick/Nico...

Well spotted. It's not much of a stretch from "Ballad of the HDG" to...

(In truth, this outfit seems only modestly talented, but that doesn't make this excursion any less enjoyable.)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Oct 2018, 21:13

The Modernist wrote:I appreciate people may have their own nominations, but I'd like to confine it to these three acts for for at least the first few pages as they deserve our attention.

Can we talk about the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and the Strawberry Alarm Clock now, G? :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Oct 2018, 21:30

SUMPTUOUS SI wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I appreciate people may have their own nominations, but I'd like to confine it to these three acts for for at least the first few pages as they deserve our attention.

Can we talk about the West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band and the Strawberry Alarm Clock now, G? :)

Oh go on then!

WCPAEB had one of the more bizarre stories didn't they? I think this is their best.

SAC's finest moment in my view is "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow" - been removed from youtube sadly.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Oct 2018, 21:35

That's a good one, but I find the first two (the debut especially) a bit twee. I think WCPAEB's best is their third, although lyrically there's some pretty ropey stuff going on.

This is my favourite by some distance:

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Oct 2018, 21:36

and this is stunning:

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Oct 2018, 21:39

The Modernist wrote:SAC's finest moment in my view is "Rainy Day Mushroom Pillow" - been removed from youtube sadly.

This one's beautiful:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Oct 2018, 21:42

HP Lovecraft display their garage roots..

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 18 Oct 2018, 10:30

The Modernist wrote:Time for another HP Lovecraft track. This was one was written by my man Terry Callier, an old Chicago mate of theirs.

It might be too 'head in the clouds' hippy for some, it is very ethereal, but I love its ghostly atmosphere. The arrangement, particular the strings, is inspired.

I used to have a copy of At The Mountains Of Madness by The HP Lovecraft. My mate picked it up in a junk shop in Brighton and thought I'd like it (as a collector of the great man's books). I listened to it a couple of times - it reminded me of that ersatz psychedelic musical theatre stuff (Hair! the musical and that sort of thing - Age of Aquarius).

Is it worth owt? :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Sintek

Postby Sintek » 19 Oct 2018, 20:24

The Hooterville Trolley
The Hogs
'I'm off to The Bootleg Beatles as the bootleg Mark Chapman'

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 19 Oct 2018, 23:46

Deebank wrote:
I used to have a copy of At The Mountains Of Madness by The HP Lovecraft. My mate picked it up in a junk shop in Brighton and thought I'd like it (as a collector of the great man's books). I listened to it a couple of times - it reminded me of that ersatz psychedelic musical theatre stuff (Hair! the musical and that sort of thing - Age of Aquarius).

Is it worth owt? :?

Probably! I'm jealous now. I bet it was that shop in Trafalgar Street.

Return to “Yakety Yak”