Hey Jude

Do talk back
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Hey Jude

Postby Earl E. Eel » 12 Oct 2018, 22:59

Nick?? Dougie?? wrote:More moving to me was when croaky voiced he stood alone on a platform with his guitar and sang ‘Blackbird’ - I was sniffing like Christie Brinkley!

Did he walk into the audience? If not, then he might be lying here...

(about 47 minutes in)

GoogaMooga wrote:you have to look to the Dutch licensee, Disky

I've got more Disky product

a label like Dutch Disky

One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's"

Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Oct 2018, 23:07

HEN wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Single version contains an unedited expletive, according to Mark Lewisohn's book on the Beatles' recording sessions.

Lennon's 'fucking hell' at about 2:58...

It's Macca.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 12 Oct 2018, 23:11

Ah! OK

a label like Dutch Disky

Jeemo

Postby Jeemo » 12 Oct 2018, 23:38

i love it unreservedly. singing along with Macca and my Son in Glasgow along with a few others is a cherished memory.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Oct 2018, 00:08

Ranking Ted wrote:Hey Jude is one of the many deathless Beatles songs that can’t be diminished no matter how often you hear it. It’s got all those moments that PP cites and it’s got this aura about it that can still produce shivers. It goes without saying it utterly hoses on Let It Be.

Correct.

I was exposed to it through my father, a classical music guy, who brought the single home, thereby igniting my Fabs passion. Aged seven or eight, I wondered aloud what song was on the other side and received no intelligible reply. Not his bag, but I commend him for buying the record.

When I saw Macca the one time, at some football stadium (circa "Biker Like an Ikon" :roll: ), he dragged it out and it was monumentally thrilling to be in the same room -- or stadium, rather -- with the guy who wrote it, singing it. Completely sober, but weeping, I felt like I was six years old again, in my parents' living room. The wonder of it all, indeed.
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 13 Oct 2018, 00:09

Jesus fuck, but to have that kind of power, to regularly affect people's lives in that way. Millions of them. It's insane.

a label like Dutch Disky

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 13 Oct 2018, 00:16

I think it is one of their most powerful songs- if anything, as pointed out, the harmony between John and Paul (I can see the 'pal'-bit that John mentions, it is a bit like the harmonious convergence you can have with someone if you share a special moment that you both feel to be a part of) but also the way Ringo perks up from looking like Lurch of the Addams Family to the jovial drummer laughing with the crowd gathered around him.

If that crescendo at the end doesn't lift you then you are truly dead.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Oct 2018, 10:00

Like many on here, I'm old enough to remember watching that live as it was broadcast - I was at my grandparents in London, and I remember my eldest brother, sister & my aunt all singing along at the top of our voices to it. I was six at the time. The bit I remember most clearly was the crowd gathering round as the coda kicked in. That just seemed like a really cool thing to do. Very emotional watching it back again just now.

It's really not a mind boggling paradigm shift, but it's very deeply etched into my memory.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 14 Oct 2018, 09:24

sloopjohnc wrote:I swear I saw Chris Chopping in the studio audience.

Ah shit, you spotted that? Doc Brown is gonna be pissed at me! I had to go though, you see when I was a kid and didn’t know any better I would complain about my dad playing The Beatles in the car. “But they all sound the same” :roll:

Hey Jude was the first Beatle song that stood out to me with its ending that went on forever. I now love The Beatles even more than my dad does as well as loving Wings and solo McCartney to the point that I own multiple Wings T-shirts and a Hofner violin bass. So this song still means a lot to me. I couldn’t resist the chance to see it being played on Frost back before everyone knew it already, to be part of that moment. What a rush!

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 14 Oct 2018, 12:33

ChrisChopping wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:I swear I saw Chris Chopping in the studio audience.

Ah shit, you spotted that? Doc Brown is gonna be pissed at me! I had to go though, you see when I was a kid and didn’t know any better I would complain about my dad playing The Beatles in the car. “But they all sound the same” :roll:

Hey Jude was the first Beatle song that stood out to me with its ending that went on forever. I now love The Beatles even more than my dad does as well as loving Wings and solo McCartney to the point that I own multiple Wings T-shirts and a Hofner violin bass. So this song still means a lot to me. I couldn’t resist the chance to see it being played on Frost back before everyone knew it already, to be part of that moment. What a rush!

Looking good Chris, but Ringo looks worried.

Did you say Hi to Alex Turner after he finished mauling Paul?

A kid swapping a fishing rod for a Dr. Feelgood album.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 14 Oct 2018, 13:37

Don't step on Frank Bruno's toes whatever you do!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 14 Oct 2018, 23:19

I liked Paul's little lift of 'The Weight' during the coda. It's too bad it's not a proper live recording, though, but it still is great. And lots of fun to watch.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Earl E. Eel

Postby Earl E. Eel » 14 Oct 2018, 23:23

As much as I love the song, these days I get more of a kick from watching them fuck around with the theme tune at the start. I could watch that for hours - Lennon's antics especially make me grin like a loon.

a label like Dutch Disky

Ghost of Harry Smith

Postby Ghost of Harry Smith » 15 Oct 2018, 08:50

GoogaMooga wrote:"Let it Be" is better.

That’s twice you’ve said that on this thread, both times you’re wrong.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 15 Oct 2018, 10:27

For as much as I claim that artists (all of them, Beatles included) have some very distorted and inaccurate view of their own strengths, this seems like a case where everyone's antennae went up at the right time - "Hang on, this one's a bit different than the others, something special about it, let's give it the priority it deserves, etc." Even John's bitterness about "Revolution" not being the big Beatles single of the moment seemed fully tempered by a (fully accurate) sense of "Oh, fuck - 'Hey Jude', there's no arguing with THAT one."

As a song, an arrangement, a record...if you're willing or able to concede that sort of "infinite beauty in a grain of sand" quality to its inherent uncluttered simplicity, it's an absolute motherfucker. Such a simple build - the piano and voice, the acoustic and tambourine in on the second verse, the backing vocals in halfway through that, the drums and bass tumbling in for the bridge, the incredibly spare electric guitar, even the staggering of the strings and horns in the coda* - none of these are sort of "Good Vibrations" tricks of innovation and hard graft, but they are absolutely what the doctor ordered. The "trick", such as it is, is just people with incredibly good instincts having the basic sense to resist "their fancier selves", and...it's as if they managed to deliberately get out of the way of a meaningful musical event.

I've seen the old boy perform it some ridiculous number of times now (you'd either laugh or cry if I named the number), and this seems like (even more so than the others) the one number where the band is especially keen to honor the original arrangement to the letter. It's like building an especially specific Jenga tower or domino arrangement - if you moved one piece, it would collapse instantly.

*The one thing that absolutely belongs to the original record is that very specific sequence of improvisations Paul belts out during the last four minutes. He never did it that way before, he'd never do it again. There's an unrepeatable sanctity to that moment that only serves to make the record more special - you get the gloriously restrained power of the arrangement and execution, AND you get a very specific one time event/celebration. You even get a swear in the last verse if you want it