Minor league supergroups

Do talk back
Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Minor league supergroups

Postby Jimbo » 10 Oct 2018, 17:01

Exercised this evening to a playlist of the Texas Tornadoes - Doug Sahm, Freddie Fender, Augie Meyers, Flaco Jimenez, Shaun Sahm and Speedy Sparks. Sahm and Fender clearly the two biggies who'd come together to make some great, fun, unpretentious, dance-able, Tex-Mex music. Meyers, and Jimenez are no slouches either when it comes to organ and accordion music.

Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Re: Minor league supergroups

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2018, 17:25

Tinted Windows

Taylor Hanson of Hanson, Bun E. Carlos from Cheap Trick, James Iha from Smashing Pumkins and Adam Schlesinger from Fountains of Wayne
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2018, 17:32

Chickenfoot

Sammy Hagar, Michael Anthony of Van Halen, Joe Satriani and Chad Smith, Red Hot Chili Peppers

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 10 Oct 2018, 18:21

I'm thinking of the much snickered-at band Fight Club.

A band made up of Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Journey's Neil Schon, and the drummer in Van Morrison's 1984 touring band already sounds kinda dire, right?

This is a band made up of those peoples' CHILDREN.

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Oct 2018, 19:39

bobzilla77 wrote:I'm thinking of the much snickered-at band Fight Club.

A band made up of Sammy Hagar, Greg Kihn, Journey's Neil Schon, and the drummer in Van Morrison's 1984 touring band already sounds kinda dire, right?

I've been to Bruce Cohn's winery. it's a beautiful setting in the Sonoma Valley. He holds this every year - he was the Doobie Bros. manager. He's done quite well for himself, but the gift shop is one of the tackiest winery gift shops I've been to.

The wine labels are nice though.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Oct 2018, 21:37

bobzilla77 wrote:I'm thinking of the much snickered-at band Fight Club.

That guitar tech's t-shirt couldn't be more appropriate.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 11 Oct 2018, 04:34

I rather enjoyed seeing this band at the Echo, with a crowd of about 100 people. Steve Wynn, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Linda Pitmon. Wynn and McCaughey traded vocals, every song about some famous ball player, or a particular game. I'm not that into sports but found it a rather fun diversion.

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 11 Oct 2018, 18:00

bobzilla77 wrote:I rather enjoyed seeing this band at the Echo, with a crowd of about 100 people. Steve Wynn, Peter Buck, Scott McCaughey and Linda Pitmon. Wynn and McCaughey traded vocals, every song about some famous ball player, or a particular game. I'm not that into sports but found it a rather fun diversion.

I think they have four or five albums out now. Ray K. is a big fan too. They name check lots of SF Giants in this one.

If you are a fan, it's fun to guess all the nicknames they mention.

Return to “Yakety Yak”