CD reissue label: Goldies

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

CD reissue label: Goldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2018, 20:13

Shout-out to Goldies, a CD reissue label based in Portugal. They mainly do comps and they do them well. I first started noticing their product in the new century, but they go back to the mid-90s, at least. At first sight they appear to be "petrol station", with cheap, generic cover art and no liner notes, but then you get the generous tracklists and that all-important info, "Digitally remastered". Now, remasters aren't always good, but Goldies gets it right. And I am not the only one who has cottoned on to their product, some of their OOP CDs fetch top dollar.

1966 and all that

Charlie O.

Re: CD reissue label: Goldies

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Oct 2018, 20:57

GoogaMooga wrote:... and that all-important info, "Digitally remastered".

Analog recordings reissued on CD are, by default, "Digitally Remastered". It's a meaningless phrase in and of itself.

I've bought a few things on the label over the years. My impression is that the sound is neither particularly great nor really bad, and sometimes I'll settle for that.

Their presentation does leave an awful lot to be desired, though.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Re: CD reissue label: Goldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2018, 21:01

Charlie O. wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:... and that all-important info, "Digitally remastered".

Analog recordings reissued on CD are, by default, "Digitally Remastered". It's a meaningless phrase in and of itself.

I've bought a few things on the label over the years. My impression is that the sound is neither particularly great nor really bad, and sometimes I'll settle for that.

Their presentation does leave an awful lot to be desired, though.

Well, how about "digitally mastered", i.e. flat transfer? Then there's that old WB head-scratcher, "pre-mastering".
1966 and all that