Enduring love affairs

Do talk back
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: Enduring love affairs

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Oct 2018, 20:08

Top NME songs for 1985!

What a bloody glorious year!!!!
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 08 Oct 2018, 20:48

Matt Wilson wrote:Image

Is that Tom Jones or David Gest?
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Oct 2018, 21:03

PENK wrote:I don't think it's just the UK - in Sweden, Springsteen is a superstar but nobody knows who Seger or Mellencamp are. But are you guys really suggesting that they are anywhere near the same artistic level as Springsteen?

And do they come anywhere near matching his popularity in the States, for that matter?

Universally respected, Springsteen easily. But as far as popularity, I'd bet Seger and Mellencamp rival the boss.

To give Mellencamp his due, I was dragged to one of his shows in the mid '80s by a friend of mine who really liked him. It was at an amusement park and he put a show that is still in my top 10 I've ever seen.

I don't love his music except a couple early albums, but he used to put on a great show.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Oct 2018, 21:13

Why not just change it to "Brief love affairs" -- just as poetic a title and more accurate!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 08 Oct 2018, 21:23

Quaco wrote:Why not just change it to "Brief love affairs" -- just as poetic a title and more accurate!

Considering what gets a pass on here, allow me this title. And some of the ones I listed are enduring, as much as a love affair can be enduring. :)
1966 and all that

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Oct 2018, 21:55

Quaco wrote:Why not just change it to "Brief love affairs" -- just as poetic a title and more accurate!

How 'bout resolutely, passionate infatuation?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Oct 2018, 22:44

Why is everyone spelling Pete Seeger's name wrong?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Oct 2018, 00:06

Darkness_Fish wrote:Why is everyone spelling Pete Seeger's name wrong?

:lol:

I was wondering too since I thought I was pretty obvious I meant Bob Seger.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Oct 2018, 04:23

Is this the "inexplicably loyal fan bases" thread?
Like how the U.K. somehow STILL thinks Fun Lovin' Criminals are worthy of attention despite the band having been ignored in its home country since moments after forming?
Maybe I'm missing something.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 04:34

Yes, to an extent.

I lived in the UK when FLC dropped their first single. Often you could get singles for as little as 99 p or 1.99, if you bought them in the first week. This was long before thrift and plummeting prices. Which allowed me to experiment. Anyway, I followed up with 2nd hand purchases of a couple of albums. I like them well enough to keep them, at least for now. But really, I can take them or leave them. Not remarkable, but not offensive either. They are just there.
Last edited by GoogaMooga on 09 Oct 2018, 08:37, edited 2 times in total.
1966 and all that

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Oct 2018, 07:42

sloopjohnc wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Why is everyone spelling Pete Seeger's name wrong?

:lol:

I was wondering too since I thought I was pretty obvious I meant Bob Seger.

It does back up Penk's point though, I had to really think about who Seger could possibly be. I guessed it wasn't Pete or Peggy. Springsteen, I'm convinced is massive in a "hey, an American superstar is playing - let's go watch him" kinda way. I'm not sure there's that many rabid fans who go as far as buying more than one album.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Oct 2018, 08:00

Australia's album-buying and concert-going public has had a HUGE love affair with Pink (or P!nk) for many years now. I was stunned by how popular she is when i went back to Aus over the July summer break period and heard her music everywhere and realized just how many tickets she sells for her Down Under concerts.
Every one of her official albums over the last 12 years has topped the charts and gone multi-platinum. I find the phenomenon fascinating.

PINK sold more copies of her new album in Australia than the UK last week.
Pink’s Beautiful Trauma sold 78,040 copies in Australia last week to easily become her fifth No.1.
By stark comparison, Ed Sheeran’s Divide at No. 2 sold just 4106 copies.
In the UK Beautiful Trauma sold 70,074 copies — meaning Pink sold more albums in Australia last week than the entire United Kingdom.
Australia is Pink’s most popular market in the world — she is now up to 30 shows on her 2018 Australian tour, spread out over almost two months.
Beautiful Trauma even reverses the declining trend in music sales — it sold more first week copies than 2012’s The Truth About Love which debuted at No.1 on 74,293 copies. Before that 2008’s Funhouse sold 86,273 copies in its first week of release.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/m ... ecf6673319

https://junkee.com/pink-australias-inte ... ion/131386
An Investigation Into Australia’s Intense Obsession With Pink
It’s August 25, 2009, and US popstar Pink is on the upper floors of the Brisbane Entertainment Centre, getting ready to cut through a giant red ribbon.

She’s being honoured in a ceremony to mark her status the Centre’s best-selling artist ever, a feat she achieved by selling out eleven shows on her Funhouse Tour. But instead of gifting her a respectful plaque, or perhaps a star in the pavement, the BEC has decided to honour Pink with a suite of toilets, dubbed — of course — the ‘Pink Ladies’.

It’s a typically wry Australian gift, and one that the woman born Alecia Moore definitely approves of. “If anyone needs to pee later on, I have a toilet upstairs dedicated to me,” she’ll joke to her fans during her show later that night. “Go and christen it.”

“Pink is now etched into our rock and roll history and we won’t ever forget this extraordinary feat,’ BEC venue manager Trish McNamara said at the toilet opening. “Pink is our number one.”

McNamara wasn’t wrong then, and she still isn’t wrong now. Pink is the most popular female act in Australia’s history…but why, exactly?

Pink By Numbers
To understand how intense Australia’s obsession with Pink is, we only need to look at her incredible touring record. Buckle up kids, because we’re diving headfirst into some big numbers.

First, we need to go back to 2007, when she sold out 35 shows across the country on her I’m Not Dead tour, grossing over $42 million. It was only her third ever world tour.

She then returned in 2009 for her Funhouse Tour, where she proceeded to break all the records she had set with I’m Not Dead — and then set a hell of a lot more. She performed 58 shows across the country over three months, breaking John Farnham’s record for the most shows ever played in Australia on a single tour.

Photo via P!nk Facebook

She sold out 17 shows at Melbourne’s Rod Laver Arena, once again beating John Farnham’s record (who had only played 12…pfft). Ticket sales for Melbourne alone exceeded $21.7 million dollars, with total attendance sitting at around 215,000 people. That was a bit over 5 percent of Melbourne’s population at the time.

In Sydney, she surpassed Kylie Minogue to become the biggest selling live act ever to perform in the city, with 10 sold out shows at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and another two at the Acer Arena (now the Qudos Bank Arena.) Ticket sales were $15.5 million, with 146,420 people seeing her perform.

Then there was the Toilet-Achieving 11 shows in Brisbane, plus more in Adelaide, Wollongong, Canberra and Perth. All up, the Funhouse Tour amassed gross earnings of over $80 million, plus a casual $10 million in merch sales. We don’t even need to italicise that figure to emphasise just how ridiculous that is. (For comparison, Adele pulled in around $35 million for her 2017 tour.)

And then in 2013, Pink landed for her The Truth About You tour and broke all of those records again.

She broke her own record set with Funhouse by performing 18 sold out shows at the Rod Laver Arena, raking in over $29.2 million in Melbourne alone. She played another 12 shows at the Entertainment Centre in Sydney, bringing her total of sold out shows at the venue to 26. Which, you guessed it, is another record. Not content to stop there, she then added an additional four shows in Sydney a month later at the Allphones Arena (now Qudos Bank Arena).

“ALL UP, SHE PLAYED TO WELL OVER 600,000 AUSTRALIANS — ABOUT 2.6 PERCENT OF THE POPULATION”

By the time Pink wrapped The Truth About Love, the tour had become the biggest selling tour by a female solo artist in Australia’s history. All up, she played to well over 600,000 Australians — about 2.6 percent of the population.

And then there’s the album sales. Pink has had four ARIA #1 albums so far, with total sales in excess of 3.6 million units. Which means around 15 percent of the Australian population have a Pink record somewhere in their house. The Truth About Love was the highest selling album in Australia two years in a row. Which is, YOU FUCKING GUESSED IT, a record.

I think you get the idea by now.

So…Why?
The question of ‘Why’ isn’t intended to be offensive at all. Pink is obviously an immensely talented musician and performer with a back catalogue stuffed full of absolute bangers.

She’s enjoyed sustained success all over the world, but, as detailed above, her success in Australia far outstrips that of any other country. In the same curious way that Lionel Richie is a massive star in the Middle East, or Detroit singer songwriter Rodriguez is ludicrously popular in South Africa.

“It was the songs which connected first, long before her Australian fans discovered she is the most honest, unfiltered, unscripted popstar on the planet,” says longtime News Corp music writer Kathy McCabe. “She is one of the few contemporary pop artists who has documented every stage of life in song, from booze and drug-fuelled rebellion, through the rollercoaster of her relationship with husband Carey Hart and becoming a mother. It’s not all love and heartbreak stuff.”

And when Australians did finally discover her personality, we became obsessed. In interviews and articles she is constantly referred to as “down to earth” and “approachable” — traits that Australians love with a fiery passion.

“Her attitude and songs and performance are all appealing to and can be made out to connect to some sense of Australianness we think we know, as fatuous as that argument is,” veteran music journalist Bernard Zuel told Music Junkee. “She has put in years of effort here with regular promotional visits as well as tours. She became an approachable star while remaining an overseas star, which is how we prefer our biggest acts.”

Popstars always walk a blurry line between aspiration and approachability. We want to relate to them, yes, but we also want to be inspired — and Pink is perhaps the perfect intersection of these two desires. She presents as relentlessly human, which is probably the oddest quality a popstar can possess.

In short, she passes the Would I Have A Beer With Them? test. It’s not only popstars we do this too either — we have a long track record of claiming foreigners we like as our own, such as Belgian tennis player Kim Clijsters, who is universally referred to as “Aussie Kim“.

It’s Not Just What She Performs…But How
I put the “Why?” question to a number of representatives from venues across the country, and also asked whether there was anything about Pink’s performance style that particularly captivated audiences.

The answer was practically unanimous: acrobatics.

Pink is a trained gymnast — she’s spoken at length about her childhood dream of becoming an Olympian — and every tour of hers incorporates some element of acrobatics, be it trapeze or other aerial work. It’s undeniably impressive, and also seriously dangerous. While dangling above the crowd during a show in Nuremberg in 2010, Pink’s harness malfunctioned and dropped her straight onto a steel barrier below. She was rushed to hospital and somehow recovered well enough to perform the next day.

“After too many contemptible pop tours by artists who couldn’t be bothered to sing live let alone look like they were enjoying themselves, Pink set a new benchmark for the pop concert,” says McCabe. “And it wasn’t just about the flying through the air on zip lines and bungee cords. Her dancers brought choreography you would expect to see from an acclaimed troupe to the concerts stage and Pink’s band, most of whom have been with her for more than a decade, rock.”

So you’re not just getting a show, you’re getting a show within a show. Of course, she’s definitely not the only pop act to take the ‘Everything And The Kitchen Sink’ approach to performance, but there probably isn’t another singer out there that can hurtle upside down around the arena and somehow remain in tune.

The Love Affair Isn’t Ending Anytime Soon
Next year, Pink will land in the country for her latest run of shows on the Beautiful Trauma tour — and yeah, it’s gonna be big.

Due to overwhelming demand for pre sale tickets through promoter Live Nation, new shows were being added on a daily basis all last week — before general admission tickets were even on sale.

To give you an idea of the madness, I’ve had to rewrite this section countless times due to shows being added in different cities around the country. The first time I wrote this sentence she was scheduled to play four shows in Brisbane — now she’s playing seven. And there’s no doubt by the time we publish this article that number will be higher.

Regardless, at the time of writing she’ll play four times in both Perth and Adelaide, nine shows in Melbourne, and seven shows each in Sydney and Brisbane.

Not yet record breaking, but I wouldn’t be brave enough to bet against her.

Jules LeFevre is Staff Writer for Music Junkee and inthemix and is a born again Pink Stan. She is on Twitter.

Touring figures provided in part by promoter Live Nation
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Oct 2018, 08:41

In their heyday, ABBA had their most loyal fan base in Australia, too. So much so that the movie followed them on their Australian leg of the world tour.

Then there's South Africa and their devotion to Sixto Rodriguez, which has been covered in the doc, "Searching for Sugarman".
1966 and all that

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 09 Oct 2018, 09:41

Count Machuki wrote:the U.K. somehow STILL thinks Fun Lovin' Criminals are worthy of attention

They do? I don't recall anyone mentioning them since about 1998. Maybe they enjoyed a resurgence since I moved abroad and I just missed all the articles in the online press.
GoogaMooga wrote:
Minnie Cheddars wrote:Baron got into a fight with some Satan’s Slaves over some culinary issue

Awful thing when that happens. I had a similar experience at a Tom Jones concert.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 09 Oct 2018, 11:39

PENK wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:the U.K. somehow STILL thinks Fun Lovin' Criminals are worthy of attention

They do? I don't recall anyone mentioning them since about 1998. Maybe they enjoyed a resurgence since I moved abroad and I just missed all the articles in the online press.

Huey Morgan has minor celebrity status - I think he lives in London now - and DJs on R6 Music from time to time. He seems like an affable chap.

I think FLC did the festival circuit a couple of years ago - two thirds down the bill kind of spots.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Red Nosed Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Nosed Heifer » 11 Oct 2018, 11:30

GoogaMooga wrote:In their heyday, ABBA had their most loyal fan base in Australia, too. So much so that the movie followed them on their Australian leg of the world tour.

Then there's South Africa and their devotion to Sixto Rodriguez, which has been covered in the doc, "Searching for Sugarman".

Australia's also pretty big on Rodriguez as well. We used to LOVE Faith No More as well.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?