The Damned
20%

Total votes: 10

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Battle of the Peel Sessions

Postby naughty boy » 03 Oct 2018, 09:37

:)

I quite like some Monochrome Set but they're kind of annoying, don't you think?

This one is an all-time fave, I have to say. Fucking A

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 03 Oct 2018, 10:20

TootyFrooty wrote::)

I liked them a hell of a lot, bought a run of singles from He's Frank on. They weren't annoying in small doses, but at album length, Bid's personality got on my tits a bit. Still, like Felt, the appeal of the band to me wasn't so much about the moody bollocks of the frontman, so much as the guitar sound. Lester Square was a star - really liked this one:

In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Oct 2018, 10:22

Yeah!

(that was the other track my mate Tony put on a mixtape for me)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Oct 2018, 10:28

TootyFrooty wrote:I don't think anyone would argue that Peel's programmes contained nothing but good music. He'd play some really terrible shit, and I never understood why as he himself didn't show much enthusiasm for it! just a mumbled, indifferent 'that's new on the Disque Crepuscule label and it comes from Brave Flaxen Quartet of Leeds' after the track was played.

BUT - it wasn't so much about the music as it was his warm, friendly manner, and that wonderful voice. It's no exaggeration to say he felt like a pal. For many years I'd come home from the pub around eleven and go to the kitchen to eat and listen to Peel's show. And although it's been nearly 15 years since he passed, I still miss him. Just another thing that disappears completely from your life as you get older, to be replaced by, well, nothing.

When you think that Peel was always - well certainly in the '80s - fighting for the survival of his show he really has triumphed post mortem.
Radio 6 Music is pretty much The John Peel Channel. That is his legacy.

His son is a regular presenter (and even has a hint of the old man's presence from time to time).

Obviously some of the DJs are more Peel than others (Gideon Coe, Marc Riley and Ravenscroft Jnr) and like the great man himself's shows, it's not all brilliant, but there's always something of interest.

It does mean I'm always going to need to get a DAB in the car from now on.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Oct 2018, 10:34

Yeah, R6 is something he kind of gave birth to, for sure.

It's interesting that the likes of Coe, Radcliffe and Maconie play pretty much wall-to-wall greats (MR's Out On Blue Six was one of the greatest radio shows ever - only lasted a year or two) - it's like they took the style of Peel but removed all the unlistenable bollocks.

In a way, it's understandable why JP's slot was threatened - he didn't exactly keep it user-friendly! But, as I said earlier, it's like it didn't even occur to him to play the stuff his audience wanted.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 03 Oct 2018, 10:55

TootyFrooty wrote::)

Absolutely, they were properly annoying, you can see how much Bid influenced Morrissey in being a smugly superior cunt. Must have been harder in the 70s/early 80s, though, being a smugly superior Indian cunt. It was all part of their aesthetic though, and I give 'em plenty of leeway for being one of the few bands who could be properly witty.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Oct 2018, 11:10

It’s not exactly an original observation but Peel Sessions were often a lot better than the standard recordings.
Lots of the PS versions of Fall songs are much better but the one that springs to mind most is The Beloved - pre acid house they were a kind of NO/JD tribute outfit.

They did an excellent session which I taped. It was great - massive bass sound, crepuscular, moody atmos.

I bought their LP on the strength of it and it was crack. Piss weak - everything good edited out.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Oct 2018, 11:28

Sounds like The Shamen...

Kinkhurt

Postby Kinkhurt » 03 Oct 2018, 12:01

The Modernist wrote:

This one is pure gold. You're listening to working notes for what would be the Damned's finest vinyl effort, Machine gun Etiquette. At this point you can still hear the 3-chord wonder version of the Damned, but the muso-chops are coming.The session has some keyboards dubbed on, but they are underlying support rather than the weaved into the sound versions you get on the album. The Captain is pulling a blinder on this session, great guitar work on Burglar and Looking at You, especially. On the album the guitar lines on Looking At You are fab, I remember trying to rip those off and failing and figuring out the chord voicing's on Smash It Up (Pt 1), cool trick once you know it. Had the Captain done a Robert Johnson and sold his soul on Croydon High street ?
I rate this Damned lineup as being the best (I hear Ward is back playing bass with them nowadays). I saw them a couple of times on the tour that Peel mentions with the Ruts supporting. It was nasty, plenty of skins coming for the Ruts, we were not friends.
angering the feeble

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Oct 2018, 12:10

TootyFrooty wrote:Sounds like The Shamen...

The Beloved were more indie than The Shamen.

I've said before that the Shamen were an odd bunch. They had all the technology - state of the art light show, projections, Dalek's Handbag bass guitar and Colin Angus wore that weird Dune Freemen suit thing - but no tunes at all. ALl the gear but no discernible talent. I went to see then in this incarnation and it was like they were independently wealthy and The Shamen was their hobby or something
Then they took some Es and that was no longer a hinderance and, to be fair, they were great for a few months... And then Mr C joined :(

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Oct 2018, 12:22

There was/is a definite magic at work in Maida Vale.
I was lucky enough (like Yomp! Anyone else?) to record a session in the studios - not a Peel Session I hasten to add. One of the engineers liked our band and offered us an unfilled slot on a Sunday.

We pissed away the session really. We dashed off our 'good song' and then our other guitarist spent hours fucking about with (real not samples) tape loops trying to put together some sound collage type thing - the 48 tracks offered at Maida Vale meant this was his only opportunity to mix loads of loops live - this was in the days before DAWs and that sort of stuff. Needless to say it was formless toss. We mixed the good track too and it sounded awful. We left late and very dispirited.

The engineer chap asked us if he could remix the good song though and a couple of weeks later he sent us the tape which was brilliant. He stripped it right back took out most of our sludgy guitar, pumped up the bass and drums and put my extemporised guitar noodlings front and centre :lol:

I still have a cassette somewhere but nothing to play it on.
Last edited by Deebank on 03 Oct 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 03 Oct 2018, 12:23

Deebank wrote: but the one that springs to mind most is The Beloved - pre acid house they were a kind of NO/JD tribute outfit.

I knew a few of them. They were massive New Order fans.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 03 Oct 2018, 12:25

The Modernist wrote:
Deebank wrote: but the one that springs to mind most is The Beloved - pre acid house they were a kind of NO/JD tribute outfit.

I knew a few of them. They were massive New Order fans.

No shit! :lol:

Check out the bass player chanelling Hooky...

Great sound though.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 03 Oct 2018, 23:40

I think my Missing Presumed Dead session was better than the transmitters session. I'll have to upload it.
You don't like me...do you?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Oct 2018, 05:21

Very sad to say ace Peel Sessions producer and DJ Mark Radcliffe posted on Twitter that he will be out of action for a while due to cancer.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 04 Oct 2018, 09:31

Might be worth starting a new thread.

I hope he gets better soon. He's a lovely fella and one hell of a DJ - possibly our best.

This tweet sums up how I feel.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 04 Oct 2018, 10:13

His Out On Blue Six was a proper eye-opener, an hour of mind (and overdraft) expanding goodness at a point where contemporary music was flagging. Too much Genesis though.

Get well soon.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 04 Oct 2018, 10:39

wannabee enfant terrible wrote:His Out On Blue Six was a proper eye-opener, an hour of mind (and overdraft) expanding goodness at a point where contemporary music was flagging.

Fuck yeah.

https://www.mixcloud.com/colin-hayes3/o ... radcliffe/

(Genesis-free)

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 04 Oct 2018, 10:41

(bit of Gentle Giant tho')

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Oct 2018, 09:45

The Scarlet Party! I'd forgotten all about them.

Return to “Yakety Yak”