Bey
8%

Total votes: 12

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

five from 2018

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 01 Oct 2018, 15:50

Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: five from 2018

Postby toomanyhatz » 01 Oct 2018, 19:29

The LDR is so clearly the class of that group, though I tune out once the Keith Emerson tribute starts. But the first four minutes are remarkably good.

The rest are either annoying on some level (the Barnett and the Carters) or cliche (the others).

Despite being both cliche and annoying, the Carters is probably the runner up. Barnett's popularity mystifies me a bit, though I have heard some things by her I've liked.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 01 Oct 2018, 20:26

toomanyhatz wrote:Barnett's popularity mystifies me

likewise, I don't get it, in fact all of these leave me completely cold , the Christine and the Queens is the best of a pretty lackluster lot.

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 01 Oct 2018, 20:28

Courtney's such a sweetheart. She's done better than THIS one (critics are talking about 'maturity', which is always bad news), but it's still easily the best thing here.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2018, 21:11

I want to like Robyn's combination of dancefloor euphoria and heartbreak more but she's never quite done it for me.

That Courtney Barnett tune is a non-event. People seem to really dig her but it all seems a bit generic indie.

Lana Del Rey just seems like more of the same.

The other two are even worse.

What a sorry state of affairs.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON

Postby SWIMMING POOL HARRINGTON » 01 Oct 2018, 21:15

Goat Boy wrote:I want to like Robyn's combination of dancefloor euphoria and heartbreak more but she's never quite done it for me.

It's fucking COBBLERS isn't it?

Who was it here who always talked her up? There's all the accoutrements of pop without any fucking tune. I really don't get it at all.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Oct 2018, 21:16

I like Beyonce until Jay-Z steps in. I've never liked him. I'd rather they kept with Offset from Migos.

Courtney Barrett has grown on me, lately, and I like Christine. Typical Lana Del Rey song. It's alright. My daughter worships the ground she walks on.

The Robyn thing sucks.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Oct 2018, 21:18

TootyFrooty wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I want to like Robyn's combination of dancefloor euphoria and heartbreak more but she's never quite done it for me.

It's fucking COBBLERS isn't it?

Who was it here who always talked her up? There's all the accoutrements of pop without any fucking tune. I really don't get it at all.

That Every Heartbeat tune (?) had something but she's got such a weak voice. She's like some kind of modern pop icon or summat. Pop music it's cool for indie kids to like.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/sep/28/how-robyn-transformed-pop-music-honey
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

LeBaron
Diamond Geezer

Postby LeBaron » 01 Oct 2018, 23:12

I think Courtney Barnett is REALLY hit or miss but when she hits she’s great. This record, I count as a miss.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Oct 2018, 12:00

There's not a whole lot of difference between the Barnett and Del Ray tracks, is there? Other than the instrumentation they could be the same song.

That Robyn song has the clunkiest chorus I've heard in a looong time. I couldn't get past it, and I don't even want to talk about Christine and the Queens other than to wonder what language she's singing in. I don't think I've heard of her before.

I really couldn't give a shit about The Carters.

If I had to choose one, it'd probably be Courtney Barnett. It's got a nice lift in the chorus.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Oct 2018, 12:09

The Robyn track seems ok to me, it's kinda empty, but it has nice warm synth tones and is fairly stripped back. Feels nicely constructed, by someone who knows what they're doing when the artist can't be bothered bringing a tune. That voice would get annoying after a while.

The name Courtney Barnett sounds like an estate agent, and that seems to be who she'd appeal to. Couldn't be much duller.

I much prefer Lana Del Rabies to the official LDR, and this seems to be more of that earnest dull pop thing that she's done to death.

Christine and the Queens is desperately, desperately late 80s. Like she wants to be Paula Abdul's shitter cousin.

Apeshit have an edgy name, and are therefore no doubt terrible cunts. I'm bored with autotune and shitty r n' b with base synth. It's very, very generic.

I think Robyn's probably the best of the bunch. But it's a particularly bad bunch.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 02 Oct 2018, 14:45

Robyn has a nice synth start but then drops into the same pop synth that is trough out the pop industry. The vocals and lyric are far from anything interesting.

I like this Courtney tune but its not up to par with her other albums. I still do like the lyrics, chorus and her tone. The end jam is what I like the most and its even better live. she get my vote.

LDR is a nice song but like everything LDR her songs never seem to go anywhere. Its like the song builds up but never hits a high point and then just keeps going.

Christine and the Queens - yikes. don't usually agree with DF but Paula Abdul ripoff and its even worse. Think there was an MJ ripoff riff too.

Apeshit - yeap that exactly what this song is.

Courtney first and LDR second.

Twang

Postby Twang » 05 Oct 2018, 14:34

Robyn - Square, static vocal melody timed to same boring old drum beat, synth loop, for 5 minutes
Courtney - I've heard this one before. Maybe I'll hear it again getting coffee sometime (I liked some of her earlier stuff more)
Lana - First one I've wanted to hear again so far
Christine - Sounds like a Michael Jackson pastiche. It's ok
The Carters - Turned this one off a third of the way in

So that's Lana then

Here's one I like from 2018

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 05 Oct 2018, 14:42

^^^I don't know how often I could listen to that, but I do like it.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 09 Oct 2018, 20:53

Mitski's great. Her appeal I get.

By the way, the LDR track sent me back to her albums which I remember liking but not being too blown away by. I think if anything I liked them less this time. The above track really is unusually good for her - at least, as I said, the first 4 minutes.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

Jimbo wrote:My point is to save the world from WWIII.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017 2018!!

algroth

Postby algroth » 09 Oct 2018, 23:20

Robyn's track is pretty generic but it's got a pretty decent hook, I dig it. The rest didn't do much for me, though I suppose Lana would come in second because things get a little more interesting once she stops singing (her drawling just puts me off). Best thing I can say for either Christine or the Carters are somewhat extraneous to the music, really: I really like Christine's moves and the "Apeshit" videoclip has some nice photography going for it. But that's really about it.

Here's a pop tune I really enjoyed this year: