RIP Kim Larsen

Do talk back
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

RIP Kim Larsen

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Sep 2018, 16:41

Kim Larsen, singer-songwriter and former frontman in Denmark's greatest rock band Gasolin, has died, 72 years old. It's breaking news on TV as I write just now. It would not be an exaggeration to say that Kim Larsen is the most beloved rocker of all here in Denmark, a national treasure and a man of the people. He was originally a school teacher, but was more interested in music, and by the end of 68 he turned pro. In 69 he founded the legendary Gasolin, who, with the addition of drummer Søren Berlev in 1971, would dominate the 1970s in Denmark, in fact, all of Scandinavia. He was so down to earth and unpretentious, and that was clearly reflected in his songs, many of which have become evergreens, and at least one, "Fik du set det du ville", has become the most played song at funerals. Not that there was anything morbid about Kim Larsen, with his big gob and thick Copenhagen accent, he'd be the sort of bloke who could fit in anywhere, especially with the counterculture and the working class. He remained classless, but loved to fly in the face of authority, smoking cigarettes on TV long after such behavior was banned: you just don't say no to Kim Larsen. He also had a fondness for the traditional songs, reminding the Danes of their rich song heritage. Kept those songs alive and added his bit, too. I am more a fan of Gasolin than Kim solo - who isn't - but will admit that at least two of the solo records, "Værsgo" and "Midt om Natten", were as good as anything put out by Gasolin. RIP Kim Larsen

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Re: RIP Kim Larsen

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 30 Sep 2018, 18:49

:-(
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 30 Sep 2018, 19:14

A moving tribute by Danish comic artist Henrik Rehr:

"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Oct 2018, 01:18

In 1973, Kim Larsen recorded his masterpiece, "Joanna", and he didn't even sing on it. Instead, he had a 13 year old boy, Søren Bernbom, on lead vocals. A boy whose voice had not cracked yet. It was a stroke of genius, and the album itself, "Værsgo", is considered the best Danish rock album ever. Søren Bernbom went on to become a psychotherapist. He is currently employed at a rehab, Valhalla Fonden, in Copenhagen.

My Kim Larsen top 10:

NPO

Langebro
Midt om Natten
Joanna
Bingo
Kap Farvel til Ümánarssuaq
Som et Strejf af en Dråbe
Masser af Succés
Sct. Emitri
Refrainet er Frit
Hva' Gør Vi Nu, Lille Du?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 01 Oct 2018, 03:54

phew I had an old girlfriend with that name thought she became a famous musician. :lol:

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 01 Oct 2018, 05:06

Hightea wrote:phew I had an old girlfriend with that name thought she became a famous musician. :lol:

:D

Yeah, cultural difference, in Denmark Kim can only be a boy's name.

injuredbird!

Postby injuredbird! » 11 Oct 2018, 12:32

ta
a very enjoyable read about somebody i didnt know about
i am not an alias:i am a free man

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 11 Oct 2018, 13:09

Thanks. :)

Return to “Yakety Yak”