The strange case of 10cc

Do talk back
Charlie O.

Re: The strange case of 10cc

Postby Charlie O. » 27 Sep 2018, 22:22

Quaco wrote:You might like this, a compilation of the stuff the four guys did pre-10cc, mostly in the novelty/bubblegum vein.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberr ... dings_1969–1972

I love that you linked a Wiki page that doesn't actually have an entry! Seems appropriate, somehow.

C
Robust

Postby C » 28 Sep 2018, 18:13

10cc are one of those bands I have never managed to get into despite, at the time, having a kid brother that loved them and had all their albums.

I possess nothing. My loss I suppose

My loss

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

goldstoned

Postby goldstoned » 28 Sep 2018, 19:05

Walk In My Shadow wrote:
Mind you, the Madness LP's always were no better and they, too, never reached the highest regions.

I have read this on bcb quite often and always disagree. while the singles were excellent, indeed, they made great pop albums, exploring various genres and being well guided by their producers langer/winstanly. seven, rise & fall, mad not mad, and later wonderful and the liberty of norton folgate come to mind.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 28 Sep 2018, 19:51

C wrote:10cc are one of those bands I have never managed to get into despite, at the time, having a kid brother that loved them and had all their albums.

My loss

This is an amazing thing ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Sep 2018, 07:38

GoogaMooga wrote:I don't have those two. Checked my notebook and it looks like I'm nearly all comps with them:

the very best of 10cc
ten out of 10
food for thought (spectrum)
live in concert volume one and two
10cc's greatest hits
live in concert (pickwick)
deceptive bends
10cc alive the very best of
rubber bullets (universe)
greatest hits (br music)
look hear
food for thought
10cc... meanwhile

It strikes me as pointless to have so many comps with all that duplication of tracks (how many times do you need Rubber Bullets and Wall Street Shuffle???) and a handful of their albums from well past their prime. It makes more sense to buy the first four albums which are all worth having if you like 10cc at all and non of which you have. It would be both more economical and save a lot of space on your shelves to boot.

Deceptive Bends is the only one on your list worth keeping as that's half a good album.
Last edited by trans-chigley express on 29 Sep 2018, 08:06, edited 2 times in total.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 29 Sep 2018, 07:39

Quaco wrote:
C wrote:10cc are one of those bands I have never managed to get into despite, at the time, having a kid brother that loved them and had all their albums.

My loss

Yes, I love that track. There's plenty of good album tracks on those first 4 album.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 29 Sep 2018, 14:20

trans-chigley express wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:I don't have those two. Checked my notebook and it looks like I'm nearly all comps with them:

the very best of 10cc
ten out of 10
food for thought (spectrum)
live in concert volume one and two
10cc's greatest hits
live in concert (pickwick)
deceptive bends
10cc alive the very best of
rubber bullets (universe)
greatest hits (br music)
look hear
food for thought
10cc... meanwhile

It strikes me as pointless to have so many comps with all that duplication of tracks (how many times do you need Rubber Bullets and Wall Street Shuffle???) and a handful of their albums from well past their prime. It makes more sense to buy the first four albums which are all worth having if you like 10cc at all and non of which you have. It would be both more economical and save a lot of space on your shelves to boot.

Deceptive Bends is the only one on your list worth keeping as that's half a good album.

You are right, of course, but let me explain my reasoning here. All my CDs are mixed, too many, can never find anything. So I depend on things popping up when I cycle through the collection. With many scattered comps of a band weak on albums, I can enjoy the band with more regularity and be sure to hear good stuff. No two comps are alike, as you will know. Another thing that dictates this selection is price, they are 50 pence purchases. Wouldn't pay retail for something like 10cc.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 29 Sep 2018, 14:39

Oh shut up
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

borofan

Postby borofan » 29 Sep 2018, 17:05

GoogaMooga wrote:NOW AVOIDING: 10cc are a strange band. For every hit, and they had a bunch, they would record one or two godawful, head-scratching clunkers. They had good songwriters in the band, not least Graham Gouldman, who had also penned hits for the likes of Hollies and Herman's Hermits. It is the one "great" band where you should proceed with caution; better to get a few comps with overlap than the minefield that is the album run. One comp to avoid, though, is Disky's "Best of the 70's". I swear, they kick off with a few biggies, then descend into something akin to music hell. And they STAY there. I couldn't play it to the end. Normally, Disky are clever at repackaging, but here unfortunately the deep cuts have NO redeeming qualities whatsoever. I understand those guys were finally given the box set treatment last year. Caveat emptor, is all I have to say.

Once again demonstrating your total lack of taste and discernment.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

ConnyOlivetti
Probing The Sonic Heritage

Postby ConnyOlivetti » 29 Sep 2018, 17:09

TootyFrooty wrote:Oh shut up

And So It Begins!
Charlie O. wrote:I think Coan and Googa are right.

Un enfant dans electronica!
Je suis!

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 04 Oct 2018, 09:01

I love Rubber Bullets. Nothing else I’ve ever heard by them has ever come close.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 04 Oct 2018, 20:39

I'm pretty sure I have every 10cc album up to around 1980 or so, but even I think they were hit-and-miss at their best.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Oct 2018, 20:56

Their 3 UK No 1 singles were all sung by different members of the band.

Which counts for something.

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 04 Oct 2018, 20:58

ConnyOlivetti wrote:
TootyFrooty wrote:Oh shut up

And So It Begins!

Indeed. Fucking twat.

borofan

Postby borofan » 05 Oct 2018, 17:56

Lord Rother wrote:Their 3 UK No 1 singles were all sung by different members of the band.

Which counts for something.

A pedant would argue that all four took a lead on those 3 tracks, as on Rubber Bullets, the main lead vocal was by Lol Creme, but Kevin Godley sang the bridge.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 05 Oct 2018, 17:58

..and GG the "is it really such a crime?" part.
man, I love that tune.
uggy poopy doody.

ChrisChopping

Postby ChrisChopping » 12 Oct 2018, 01:43

Right, so specifically because of this thread I listened to Sheet Music. Or as much of it as I could stomach. What a load of arch, mannered, novelty crap!

Someone on here practically implied they were pop heirs to the Beatles. They sound more like forerunners of Black Lace.

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 12 Oct 2018, 01:52

trans-chigley express wrote:
Quaco wrote:

My loss

Yes, I love that track. There's plenty of good album tracks on those first 4 album.

Another fan of that track, a truly wonderful thing as is Mandy and Art For Arts Sake.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Oct 2018, 02:14

ChrisChopping wrote:Right, so specifically because of this thread I listened to Sheet Music. Or as much of it as I could stomach. What a load of arch, mannered, novelty crap!

Someone on here practically implied they were pop heirs to the Beatles. They sound more like forerunners of Black Lace.

Good lad.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 12 Oct 2018, 08:51

There’s a good doc on iplayer. Really.
Worth watching.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “Yakety Yak”