Total votes: 14

Canis lupus

Best MOTOWN 45 KEY CHANGE

Postby Canis lupus » 18 Sep 2018, 17:14

Pick 3/5 (change your mind if you like)

Bent Fabric

Re: Best MOTOWN KEY CHANGE

Postby Bent Fabric » 18 Sep 2018, 17:16

Certainly "Ain't No...", although "My Cherie Amour" is another one that feels surprisingly organic.

Mike Boom

Re: Best MOTOWN 45 KEY CHANGE

Postby Mike Boom » 18 Sep 2018, 17:23

The key change in "What Becomes of the Broken Hearted" is phenomenal and the emotional center of the song, it takes the song to another level and is, err.... heartbreaking.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 18 Sep 2018, 17:38

I knew as soon I saw the title our old pal was back!

Thank fuck SOMEBODY here has some imagination!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Sep 2018, 18:04

'Ain't No Mountain..' and 'What Becomes..' are definitely personal faves. There are so many though; the changes in 'It's The Same Old Song' or 'Ain't Too Proud To Beg' never fail to give me goosebumps.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Sep 2018, 19:09

what is a key change?
Serious question. If someone can point out when this magical thing happens in the first four listed (no way I'm listening to the last one), I'll gladly deliver my verdict
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

TG

Postby TG » 18 Sep 2018, 20:11

Rayge wrote:what is a key change?
Serious question. If someone can point out when this magical thing happens in the first four listed (no way I'm listening to the last one), I'll gladly deliver my verdict

A song is being played in a certain key - A, for instance. Usually towards the end of the song the key will shift up a half step (to A sharp in this case) or a full step (to B) for dramatic effect. It could also modulate down or back down having already climbed.

In Baby Love it happens at about 1:35 after Diana sings “I get this need...”

In What Becomes of the Broken Hearted the chorus usually begins with a C chord but at 2:30 the last chorus remains in B flat and mimics the chord pattern that the verses have been using instead of modulating up as has happened on the previous choruses.

I don’t read music and barely understand theory but just worked it out on my piano. Somebody with more knowledge may come along and correct me but this is basically what’s being discussed.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 18 Sep 2018, 21:11

Rayge wrote:Serious question.... (no way I'm listening to the last one),

...why ever not?! Serious question

Canis lupus

Postby Canis lupus » 18 Sep 2018, 21:19

TG wrote:
Serious question. If someone can point out when this magical thing happens I'll gladly deliver my verdict

A song is being played in a certain key - A, for instance. Usually towards the end of the song the key will shift up a half step (to A sharp in this case) or a full step (to B) for dramatic effect. It could also modulate down or back down having already climbed.

In What Becomes of the Broken Hearted the chorus usually begins with a C chord but at 2:30 the last chorus remains in B flat and mimics the chord pattern that the verses have been using instead of modulating up as has happened on the previous choruses.

I don’t read music and barely understand theory but just worked it out on my piano. Somebody with more knowledge may come along and correct me but this is basically what’s being discussed.

Nice one, TG
I've always thought it an obvious device to give an otherwise middling track a bit of a lift towards the end.
It can also elevate a great song into something really brilliant (like Marvin / Tammi, and Stevie).

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Sep 2018, 22:58

Canis lupus wrote:
Rayge wrote:Serious question.... (no way I'm listening to the last one),

...why ever not?! Serious question

Never forgave Little Stevie Wonder for putting down his harp (not particularly serious answer, but with a grain of truth at its heart).
Add to that, I bought the others when they came out, and didn't really like For Once in My Life - last track of his I enjoyed was probably Uptight. And I hated the cornrow years. It felt like a terrible betrayal of soul and R&B, of a similar level to James Brown's. I know FOIML was before that, but it was retrospectively tainted by it in my taste. So, seeing as my time and desire to listen to any music is strictly limited, I'd rather not listen to anything of which I'd already formed a negative opinion, so I don't. Same principle as ignoring a poster :)

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Sep 2018, 23:01

TG wrote:

Thanks Tom - I still don't understand the theory (what's a key, what's a chord – I mean, I understand the words, but it doesn't translate at all to anything I'm actually experiencing), but the timings are a help.

TG

Postby TG » 19 Sep 2018, 00:18

Rayge wrote:
TG wrote:

Thanks Tom - I still don't understand the theory (what's a key, what's a chord – I mean, I understand the words, but it doesn't translate at all to anything I'm actually experiencing), but the timings are a help.

Do you like The Sound of Music? Me, either. I do know how to sing Do-Re-Mi, though. If you do then it’s like this - if A is Doe (a deer, a female deer) and you modulate to B then you’ve moved to Re (a drop of golden sun). If you modulate back down to A the you’ll bring us back to Doe, oh, oh, oh.

That’s probably the best I can do with my limited musical knowledge. Maybe somebody with a better grasp of the (musical) language will come along and better explain things.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Return to “Yakety Yak”