Help, what song is this?

Do talk back
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Help, what song is this?

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 02:44

Late 50s or early 60s, three descending chords, in waltz time. The repeated lyrics in the chorus are three monosyllabic words starting with "please."

There's a very fuzzed out guitar (for the time), an overall woozy vibe and mix and the music fades before the vocal, which lingers and then fades on its own.

I couldn't make out the lyric, but it's a great song and I need to find it.

As usual, I'm looking at Charlie O!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Charlie O.

Re: Help, what song is this?

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Sep 2018, 03:00

So far I'm not getting it.

Are there drums? Is it country-ish?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 03:17

Not country-ish, guitar to the fore, but otherwise conventional period instrumentation.

Not sure if you play music, but the it would have been A major/F major/E major (or similar chord relationship in another key).

Very kind of loose and sloppy, a la Angel Baby, but male singer (but not actually sounding like that song). I don't think it was a top 40 hit because I'd never heard it before.

Apart from the general weirdness of it, the most outstanding feature was that odd, segmented fade-out.

Sorry, this all went by in two and a half minutes or so and that's my best recollection!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 18 Sep 2018, 03:45

Sounds like a Johnny Ray type pleading thing. Where did you hear it? A lot of stations have playlists online!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Sep 2018, 04:21

Yeah, I'm stumped. Sounds like something Rayge or Muskrat might know, though!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 04:56

Yeah, it wasn't on the radio, but at an event, and there wasn't a DJ, but rather a playlist sort of thing and I couldn't track down who/where it was coming from.

Thanks, though!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 18 Sep 2018, 06:33

Quaco wrote:Sounds like a Johnny Ray type pleading thing. Where did you hear it? A lot of stations have playlists online!

Sorry. Not from that description.

(I once had a similar fragment of a song running through me head for years -- years! -- until one day I heard it on an in-store music system. Such a load off my mental back. Turns out it was Grand Funk's "Bad Time." That never would have leapt to mind, though I liked it a lot when it was a hit.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 18 Sep 2018, 09:59

Late 1850s / early 1860s?
3 descending notes repeated?
One 3 syllable repeated word?

It's obvious

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Sep 2018, 10:41

Snarfyguy wrote:Late 50s or early 60s, three descending chords, in waltz time. The repeated lyrics in the chorus are three monosyllabic words starting with "please."

There's a very fuzzed out guitar (for the time), an overall woozy vibe and mix and the music fades before the vocal, which lingers and then fades on its own.

I couldn't make out the lyric, but it's a great song and I need to find it.

As usual, I'm looking at Charlie O!

I'm struggling to imagine it from that description. Can you give us more idea of the genre or an example of something else that sounds vaguely like it, then we'll know what we're looking for.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Sep 2018, 11:02

'Please please me' by The Beatles?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 13:54

The Modernist wrote:I'm struggling to imagine it from that description. Can you give us more idea of the genre or an example of something else that sounds vaguely like it, then we'll know what we're looking for.

It's early rock & roll, but more along the lines of "I Only Have Eyes for You" or Santo and Johnny's "Sleepwalk" than a rockabilly sort of thing, like something you might hear in an old David Lynch or Martin Scorsese movie (or John Waters' 70s work, now that I think of it).

It had a slow tempo and the vocal melody matched the descending chord progression for a plaintive "woah, woah, woah" effect.

The sound palette was kind of indistinct or blurry and whole thing had an off-kilter feeling to it.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Sep 2018, 14:11

Presumably this was at the John Waters camp, so was most likely an old song rather than a modern pastiche, right?
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 14:43

Wally Bingbang wrote:Presumably this was at the John Waters camp, so was most likely an old song rather than a modern pastiche, right?

Yeah, I would say early 60s.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Sep 2018, 14:53

Snarfyguy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:I'm struggling to imagine it from that description. Can you give us more idea of the genre or an example of something else that sounds vaguely like it, then we'll know what we're looking for.

It's early rock & roll, but more along the lines of "I Only Have Eyes for You" or Santo and Johnny's "Sleepwalk" than a rockabilly sort of thing, like something you might hear in an old David Lynch or Martin Scorsese movie (or John Waters' 70s work, now that I think of it).

It had a slow tempo and the vocal melody matched the descending chord progression for a plaintive "woah, woah, woah" effect.

The sound palette was kind of indistinct or blurry and whole thing had an off-kilter feeling to it.

Sort of Roy Orbison..?

Or this sort of thing..

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 15:01

The Modernist wrote:Sort of Roy Orbison..?

Or this sort of thing..

Yes, that's the right general direction, but the song in question is sloppier and weirder.

By the way, thanks, all.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Sep 2018, 15:17

It almost sounds like a Mark Murphy thing. He was recording later but it sounded 50s/early 60s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_vC12IrC6g

He doesn't say please though!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Sep 2018, 15:34

Sure sounds good!

I'll have a think - nothing comes to mind right away. Would you say it sounded more soulish/R&B, or more rock/pop? Something like what The "5" Royales or Lowman Pauling was doing in the early '60s, or what an early garage rock band might have done?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Sep 2018, 15:45

I didn't get a doo-wop vibe from it, but it's not a million miles away from something like this:

Very echo-y. I'm going to try to figure how to get this question in front of the WFMU community. Somebody there will have to know it.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 18 Sep 2018, 16:16

It sounds a bit familiar - there are comps around with loads of things like this. Is it this one maybe?
https://youtu.be/dQw4w9WgXcQ
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 18 Sep 2018, 19:55

The description is making me think of a Bonzo's song but I can’t think which one.

Return to “Yakety Yak”