Dad Rock v/s Prog Rock The showdown

Do talk back

Do you love dad rock , or Prog rock?

Yes , I love dad rock. I'll just get my cardigan. More aural anesthetic please.
43%
Yes, I love Prog rock, the music that keeps on giving and feeds my mind.
57%

Total votes: 28

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Dad Rock v/s Prog Rock The showdown

Postby yomptepi » 17 Sep 2018, 10:38

There does seem to be an ever increasing rift between the old Dad rockers here. Moddy. DD, The Prof,The Count and so on, and those of us who like our music to have a little more depth and complexity. I am bemused when I see a grown man proclaiming his love for the manics, or Oasis or even the thug Weller. Why would anyone be interest in these dim witted recyclers of other peoples ideas? How can it be when there is so much wonderful music out there. So many talented and gifted artists, that anyone could even consider wasting even ten seconds on the pointless dirge that is the manic street preachers, or Blur. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Anyway, here is a chance to polarise the drones. set them apart and shame them. We all know who they are.

Vote now , and vote often.
You don't like me...do you?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Dad Rock v/s Prog Rock The showdown

Postby The Modernist » 17 Sep 2018, 10:40

Dad rocker :lol: :lol:

Stay on the cutting edge with your Morrissey and Genesis albums Mikel.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 17 Sep 2018, 10:43

No 'Plague on both your houses' option? Fo' shame
Surely these are the twin pillars of the prog broad church?
And surely 'Dad Rock' isn't the bands of the 1990s but all that British 1960s post-Beatles Jeff Lynne stuff, that started the slide into the abyss?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 17 Sep 2018, 10:45

Rayge wrote:No 'Plague on both your houses' option? Fo' shame
And surely 'Dad Rock' isn't the bands of the 1990s but all that British 1960s post-Beatles Jeff Lynne stuff, that started the slide into the abyss?

Fair comment Ray. I forgot about the cunt Lynne.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Sep 2018, 10:46

I'm with Ray, they're two sides of the same coin. It's still shit with beards and guitars, and fans proclaiming that their music is the authentic form of the art.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 10:50

Both awful.

But both BCB, sadly.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Sep 2018, 10:51

I voted prog because of Ocean Colour Scene and their Hush Puppy desert boots
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Sep 2018, 10:56

The irony is, of course, that you can't get more dad rock than Yomp. Look at all the turgid rock he promotes on the rare occasion he says something positive about music.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 17 Sep 2018, 10:57

The Modernist wrote:The irony is, of course, that you can't get more dad rock than Yomp. Look at all the turgid rock he promotes on the rare occasion he says something positive about music.

Fuck off.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Sep 2018, 10:58

:D

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 17 Sep 2018, 12:30

So, the alleged inventor of Punk has become a Dad rocker.

Who knew?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 12:37

The essence of the man here:

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 17 Sep 2018, 15:34

People like either of this crap? I despair. Although not unexpected given the taste free zone that is BCB these days.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Sep 2018, 16:11

I mean, why would you want to listen something like "This Is A Low" when you can curl your slippers up to this :

Why indeed, Yomp.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Sep 2018, 16:39

Rayge wrote:No 'Plague on both your houses' option? Fo' shame

I believe those are grandad rock by this stage. :D

Cantankerous
Robust

Postby Cantankerous » 17 Sep 2018, 17:06

Diamond Dog wrote:

Fast forward to 4:15 and nod those heads

ooooooooooooooof!

Croan wrote:One thing about the Yanks - they never seriously piddled about in
anything as preposterously pointless as prog.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 17 Sep 2018, 17:09

yomptepi wrote:There does seem to be an ever increasing rift between the old Dad rockers here. Moddy. DD, The Prof,The Count and so on...

WTF?

:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Sep 2018, 17:16

C wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:

Fast forward to 4:15 and nod those heads

ooooooooooooooof!.

Maybe they should have taken your advice C!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Sep 2018, 18:10

yomptepi wrote:There does seem to be an ever increasing rift between the old Dad rockers here. Moddy. DD, The Prof,The Count and so on, and those of us who like our music to have a little more depth and complexity. I am bemused when I see a grown man proclaiming his love for the manics, or Oasis or even the thug Weller. Why would anyone be interest in these dim witted recyclers of other peoples ideas? How can it be when there is so much wonderful music out there. So many talented and gifted artists, that anyone could even consider wasting even ten seconds on the pointless dirge that is the manic street preachers, or Blur. What the fuck is wrong with you?

Anyway, here is a chance to polarise the drones. set them apart and shame them. We all know who they are.

really you want to go there. When why does most BCB like punk rock of the mid to late 70's or even 80's? This is all rehash of 60 garage rock. If you are so pisssy about people not liking Oasis, Blur or any other after 80's band that is similar to dad rock or prog rock or hell anything then why aren't you jumping on the punkers. Please don't even start telling me that the Punk superstars were original. they weren't just different attitude and lyrics.

The truth for me is that I like the music I like it doesn't matter if it's brand new sound, a rehash of something familiar, a combination of two or three older genre, a complete rip off of someone's sound. I don't need to hear something new and original to make that my new favorite. I just like music I love.

For the record - we of course voted for prog, on a side note plenty of modern music rips of parts of prog ideas but no music critic would ever state it.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 17 Sep 2018, 18:49

Hightea wrote:
yomptepi wrote:There does seem to be an ever increasing rift between the old Dad rockers here. Moddy. DD, The Prof,The Count and so on, and those of us who like our music to have a little more depth and complexity. I am bemused when I see a grown man proclaiming his love for the manics, or Oasis or even the thug Weller. Why would anyone be interest in these dim witted recyclers of other peoples ideas? How can it be when there is so much wonderful music out there. So many talented and gifted artists, that anyone could even consider wasting even ten seconds on the pointless dirge that is the manic street preachers, or Blur. What the fuck is wrong with you?

really you want to go there. When why does most BCB like punk rock of the mid to late 70's or even 80's? This is all rehash of 60 garage rock. If you are so pisssy about people not liking Oasis, Blur or any other after 80's band that is similar to dad rock or prog rock or hell anything then why aren't you jumping on the punkers. Please don't even start telling me that the Punk superstars were original. they weren't just different attitude and lyrics.

The truth for me is that I like the music I like it doesn't matter if it's brand new sound, a rehash of something familiar, a combination of two or three older genre, a complete rip off of someone's sound. I don't need to hear something new and original to make that my new favorite. I just like music I love.

For the record - we of course voted for prog, on a side note plenty of modern music rips of parts of prog ideas but no music critic would ever state it.

I think you miss the point. If indeed there is one.

Return to “Yakety Yak”