Lou Reed v/s Paul Weller

Do talk back

The bard of New York City, or the Woking whinger?

Lou Reed. the man who gave us the Velvet Underground and influenced several generations
66%
Paul Weller. Half a dozen decent singles and a good line in premature decrepitude.
34%

Total votes: 32

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Lou Reed v/s Paul Weller

Postby yomptepi » 16 Sep 2018, 12:41

Who is better?

Lou Reed. A man never afraid to push boundaries, to experiment. To be both musically and lyrically innovative, producing a large catelogue of albums , many of which fail, but many of which are milestones in rock and roll. A true artist and innovator.

or

Paul Weller. A man who has made his career aping others. Borrowing, stealing and imitating his idols and producing a string of embarrassing, ill conceived and poorly performed records which surely define the term " Landfill". After a brief and exciting few months in 1977, where he thought he was Pete Townshend, he has done little of any value, and is more well know for appalling hair cuts than his sub standard recordings.
A turd.

A tough decision, and I hope my unbiased and far from loaded introductions help you in choosing.
You don't like me...do you?

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Re: Lou Reed v/s Paul Weller

Postby The Slider » 16 Sep 2018, 12:52

Pair of wankers
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 16 Sep 2018, 12:55

I have three CDs by Weller
A Jam best of, a Style Council best of and Wild Wood.
That is three too many

I have loved Lou Reed, though I usually hate him.
He foisted Doug Yule on us and was responsible for the worst concert I ever saw in my life
But there is more magic in a toss off like Some Kinda Love than there is in 40 years of Weller's tedious old shitehousing
Complete Ramones Mp3 set on its way

Rayge

Re: Lou Reed v/v Paul Weller

Postby Rayge » 16 Sep 2018, 13:12

Um, er...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2018, 13:30

As a career, Weller for sure. You will find great songs throughout his career and he has continually looked to challenge himself ( other than a few dull years in the 'dadrock' nineties). If we are talking peaks of greatness, then Reed for The Velvets.
Obviously Weller sends the old hippies of BCB spluttering into their spliffs, but BCB's hipper fringe have always got him.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 16 Sep 2018, 13:31

The Modernist wrote: but BCB's hipper fringe have always got him.

Tragic.
You don't like me...do you?

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 16 Sep 2018, 13:37

I have an awful lot of Weller and virtually no Lou Reed.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2018, 13:42

Excellent thread.

I'll come back to it later
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Sep 2018, 14:32

No matter what heinous crimes against music Weller has inflicted on us - and there have been a few, I grant you- he didn't conceive, record & release "Metal Machine Music".

Thank about that and then cast your vote for the mighty Paul.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Sep 2018, 15:46

I was once in the same room as Weller and the first person I thought of was Yomp.
I run out of talent

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Sep 2018, 15:51

WG Kaspar wrote:I was once in the same room as Weller and the first person I thought of was Yomp.

He looks nothing like him!
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 16 Sep 2018, 16:04

Diamond Dog wrote:No matter what heinous crimes against music Weller has inflicted on us - and there have been a few, I grant you- he didn't conceive, record & release "Metal Machine Music".

I thanked about it, then thanked about Weller's stupid haircut. Lou by a million miles by any criteria.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

robertff

Postby robertff » 16 Sep 2018, 16:56

One has had an innovative influence on popular musicians for generations and continues to do so, the other hasn't.

This is a very good read, just finished it.

Lou Reed by miles.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2018, 18:23

In terms of influence, innovation, songwriting standards and consistency (of quality rather than stylistically), the Velvet Underground are the greatest group of all time* - so Lou gets my vote.

I honestly don't even think it's right to talk about The J*m in the same post. They were just yobs who plundered rock's past and struck lucky a couple of times.

*you might make a case for The Beatles, but 'Michelle', 'Yesterday' and other slop kind of cancel out much of their groovier output
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Robert

Postby Robert » 16 Sep 2018, 22:26

BOXO wrote:In terms of influence, innovation, songwriting standards and consistency (of quality rather than stylistically), the Velvet Underground are the greatest group of all time* - so Lou gets my vote.

I honestly don't even think it's right to talk about The J*m in the same post. They were just yobs who plundered rock's past and struck lucky a couple of times.

*you might make a case for The Beatles, but 'Michelle', 'Yesterday' and other slop kind of cancel out much of their groovier output

I certainly would.

Yesterday & Michelle......

The Cowboy Bill thing & Sweet nuthing

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2018, 22:41

The Modernist wrote:As a career, Weller for sure. You will find great songs throughout his career and he has continually looked to challenge himself

:lol:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 16 Sep 2018, 23:25

Diamond Dog wrote:No matter what heinous crimes against music Weller has inflicted on us - and there have been a few, I grant you- he didn't conceive, record & release "Metal Machine Music".

Great album! Would love to see the Classic Albums doc on that one!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 16 Sep 2018, 23:43

In years to come Weller will be revered by critics, and arguably he is already, as one of the greatest British songwriters. They won't be bothered by the things that sends some BCBers into apoplexy - that he speaks in a cockney accent or is a sharp dresser- they'll judge him on the music.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2018, 23:48

He won't be revered by critics because he's too provincial. The Americans aren't interested in him, anyone under 40 doesn't give a fuck. He's limited.

And he's harming his legacy (not that I would argue that he has one, but for the sake of argument...) by releasing these dreadful worn-out albums every fucking year. His 'soul' effort, or the one that came out a couple of years ago after he 'discovered' Bowie. What was it? Sonic Sounds or some fucking thing? :lol:

He's an absolute charlatan and it extends to every aspect of his miserable being. There is no joy in any of his excreta.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 16 Sep 2018, 23:54

You’ve got that exactly wrong. Had Weller made something nearly as excellent, it might be worth thinking about him as a viable option.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Return to “Yakety Yak”