Singles review pages

Do talk back
never/ever

Singles review pages

Postby never/ever » 09 Sep 2018, 12:51

One of my favorite reads every week in the NME/Maker were the celebrity singles reviews- Mark E. Smith always was a delight.
Any of you read those too?

Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Darkness_Fish

Re: Singles review pages

Postby Darkness_Fish » 10 Sep 2018, 09:04

Ooh, this is actually a great idea for a thread, I just don't have anything to contribute. Same deal as with the other threads, I guess.

How much more varied were the singles being reviewed back then? Dog Faced Hermans, C93, Bonzo, and Inspiral Carpets?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 10 Sep 2018, 09:41

Yeah, I always read them, just like I read the reviews by the journos (NME reader 1963-67 and 74-2004). Just like looking through someone's record collection, hearing someone's views on a random selection of tracks gives you a great insight into the shape of their taste, and, to a lesser extent, their personality, more so than most interviews.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 10 Sep 2018, 11:12

Wire's 'Invisible Jukebox' feature was similarly entertaining (and sometimes enlightening)
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Sep 2018, 16:05

BOXO wrote:Wire's 'Invisible Jukebox' feature was similarly entertaining (and sometimes enlightening)

Yes, that was another one I rarely missed.

Shame they are not somewhere bundled or online.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 10 Sep 2018, 20:15

Reminds me of the Christgau consumer guide, except that was short album reviews.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 10 Sep 2018, 23:07

pcqgod wrote:Reminds me of the Christgau consumer guide, except that was short album reviews.

To be fair, albums were shorter in those days.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Quaco wrote: Not that I advocate writing "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a Pict" if that happens to be in the set, but just don't shorten it quite so much!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Sep 2018, 00:24

The beauty of the singles page was that it was short, sharp and shocking. Album-reviews could be tedious and wordy affairs at times but singles got a concise (and often snide) treatment. Bands got slagged off there invariably and it was fun to see some reviewers cut acts to size or shreds. Rarely did I agree with them but the fun was always good.

George Carlin

fange

Postby fange » 11 Sep 2018, 03:06

That's fun to read, cheers for that. I never bought a copy of NME or MM in my life, so this is all new to me.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Sep 2018, 07:53

never/ever wrote:
BOXO wrote:Wire's 'Invisible Jukebox' feature was similarly entertaining (and sometimes enlightening)

Yes, that was another one I rarely missed.

Shame they are not somewhere bundled or online.

I could copy and paste them here, if anyone would read them.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 11 Sep 2018, 12:39

Hey. That would be nice!

George Carlin

kalowski II: The Revenge
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby kalowski II: The Revenge » 11 Sep 2018, 12:57

A pedant writes:

The clippings in the OP aren’t from the NME or MM, Record Mirror perhaps? (The MES one is from a monthly I think).

“Star” reviewers were few and far between during my NME/MM/Sounds years, the writers themselves were usually the reason my heart skipped a beat - you were guaranteed a good time if Reynolds/Swells/Stud Brothers were in charge, less so if it was Collins or Lamacq.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 11 Sep 2018, 13:54

kalowski II: The Revenge wrote:A pedant writes:

The clippings in the OP aren’t from the NME or MM, Record Mirror perhaps? (The MES one is from a monthly I think).

'this months crop' at the top of the page might give you a clue :)

kalowski II: The Revenge wrote:“Star” reviewers were few and far between during my NME/MM/Sounds years, the writers themselves were usually the reason my heart skipped a beat - you were guaranteed a good time if Reynolds/Swells/Stud Brothers were in charge, less so if it was Collins or Lamacq.

Yes.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 11 Sep 2018, 14:02

Keeping with a theme: