Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Do talk back

NM?

Yea
15
63%
Nay
5
21%
I'm not moved either way
4
17%
 
Total votes: 24

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2018, 16:19

Matt Wilson wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Which part of "I do realise this a ridiculous, sweeping generalisation" was too much of a stretch for you, Lance?


It's hard to answer, as you should write that before everything you say.


How's your colour coded filing system coming along, cowboy?
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 06 Sep 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29442
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2018, 16:20

LeBaron wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
LeBaron wrote:Yeah, as a matter of American Musical Geography, there’s almost nothing more midwestern than a Seger hit.


To the world outside of the US it goes like this :

New York - punky and spiky
South east - soul
Rest of the country - west coast FM rock.

My pleasure.


The world outside of the US is more ignorant than I ever dared imagine! What a pity that all those passports didn’t bestow greater worldliness and curiosity! Heaven help us all.


Keep in mind you're being lectured to by a man living in a country responsible for Brexit.
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29442
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2018, 16:20

Diamond Dog wrote:How's your colour coded filing system coming along, cowboy?


Better than your posting your recent albums twice in Facebook, you silly cunt!
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10278
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 06 Sep 2018, 16:21

Matt Wilson wrote:
Keep in mind you're being lectured to by a man living in a country responsible for Brexit.


Oh, Matt. No.
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2018, 16:21

Matt Wilson wrote:
LeBaron wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:
To the world outside of the US it goes like this :

New York - punky and spiky
South east - soul
Rest of the country - west coast FM rock.

My pleasure.


The world outside of the US is more ignorant than I ever dared imagine! What a pity that all those passports didn’t bestow greater worldliness and curiosity! Heaven help us all.


Keep in mind you're being lectured to by a man living in a country responsible for Brexit.


Yes. I can see why an American would feel justified in lecturing the rest of the world regarding foreign policy.
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2018, 16:22

Matt Wilson wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:How's your colour coded filing system coming along, cowboy?


Better than your posting your recent albums twice in Facebook, you silly cunt!


:lol:

You normally catch the second one, right?
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29442
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Matt Wilson » 06 Sep 2018, 16:23

:lol: Point out where I "lectured."
Thinking about Mexican food.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Sep 2018, 16:27

Matt Wilson wrote::lol: Point out where I "lectured."


Image
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2776
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Bent Fabric » 06 Sep 2018, 16:43

NMB wrote:He's a decent home cook working with basic ingredients. He won't serve you a cordon bleu meal but sometimes he makes a damn fine hamburger.


Truly, the essence of the man and his work.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12532
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 02:01

NMB wrote:I can't write as eloquently as Mr Fabric but my take on Bob Seeger is that he's a decent home cook working with basic ingredients. He won't serve you a cordon bleu meal but sometimes he makes a damn fine hamburger


A damn fine 'burger. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11750
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2018, 08:01

First time I've heard it. Came across as a boring sub-Springsteen thing and all a bit of a cliche. Didn't bother finishing listening to it . I'm surprised it's got as many positive votes as it has.

User avatar
Eddie Shah environment
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18016
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Eddie Shah environment » 07 Sep 2018, 08:13

Nice to see you still have some faith, G!
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 66438
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Sep 2018, 08:21

I have to say I'm not surprised at the thumbs up it's receiving - I'm absolutely fucking amazed. Especially when I look at the names of the people giving the track (and the artist) such positive reviews - so i just went back and listened again.

Sorry guys - for me, it's a bland out. I'm just not hearing what you are but, fair play to you all, you clearly hear something I don't... I admire your fortitude!
Sheets of empty canvas, untouched sheets of clay.......

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11750
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2018, 08:32

Diamond Dog wrote:I have to say I'm not surprised at the thumbs up it's receiving - I'm absolutely fucking amazed. Especially when I look at the names of the people giving the track (and the artist) such positive reviews - so i just went back and listened again.

Sorry guys - for me, it's a bland out. I'm just not hearing what you are but, fair play to you all, you clearly hear something I don't... I admire your fortitude!


I suppose if you grow up with these things they become part of your cultural identity in a way. Even if you rejected it at the time, there comes a point when you start becoming wistfully nostalgic about it - like Brits getting all nostalgic about Angel Delight or something!

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12532
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 09:05

A LOT of Brits simply don't get this kind of stuff; a few Australians too for that matter, but especially Brits. Of course this is a generalization - Twang has shown right here there ARE Brits who like '70's Seger - but i've always felt and seen it to be a minority.

And that's fair enough, fair play to you all if you don't dig it - but that doesn't mean that you're right, either. I believe to my bones that it's both a great song and record.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12532
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 09:43

I bet Loki's a fan - she loves her '90s music.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11750
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2018, 10:30

fange wrote:A LOT of Brits simply don't get this kind of stuff; a few Australians too for that matter, but especially Brits. Of course this is a generalization - Twang has shown right here there ARE Brits who like '70's Seger - but i've always felt and seen it to be a minority.

And that's fair enough, fair play to you all if you don't dig it - but that doesn't mean that you're right, either. I believe to my bones that it's both a great song and record.


It doesn't mean we're wrong either, it's just personal taste. I feel quite removed from this stuff as I didn't grow up hearing it, the first time I knowingly heard the song was today. It reminds me of that John Hiatt song someone picked in the 90s cup or "The Spirit of 69" (I know that's a lot later, but it's a similar sort of thing) or John Mellencamp..all that stuff, I just switch off when I hear it..all that earnest emoting and turgid riffing.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 11750
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby The Modernist » 07 Sep 2018, 10:40

What do you think of this Fange incidentally?


User avatar
The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers
Posts: 14785
Joined: 31 Aug 2003, 01:28
Location: South Penriff
Contact:

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby The Red Heifer » 07 Sep 2018, 11:52

If he doesn't say he loves it, he's lying :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 17390
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Sep 2018, 12:34

I voted "not moved either way" but my feelings for it probably veer close to Moddie's viewpoint. I have no recollection of ever hearing it before so I have no nostalgia factor attached to it and although I didn't hate it, I didn't feel moved to repeat play either.