63%
Nay
21%
I'm not moved either way
17%

Total votes: 24

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 12:45

The Red Heifer wrote:If he doesn't say he loves it, he's lying :lol:

:lol: Shut up, Heif.

Actually, part of me DOES love 'Working Class Man', for nostalgic and personal reasons, but i would never claim that it's a GREAT song or record. It is, however, a GOOD rock song; as objectively as these things can possibly be looked at, it has a fair bit going for it - a lyric that has some heart amongst the normal rock cliches, a strong driving beat, and a tune that has a strong enough structure and arrangement to keep you (mostly) interested for 3-4 minutes. And it sounds good coming out of a car radio as you're driving with your window down.

But if you're posting it to say that 'WCM' and 'NM' are the same, you're barking up the wrong tree mate. While they do have some surface similarities, for me there is a very clear difference between the 2 - in the instrumentation, the overall arrangement, the vocals, and in the end the feel. Ultimately, it's the difference between the GOOD and the GREAT, small but important things that add up in the end.

To paraphrase Bent, trying to proselytize about something like 'Night Moves' is a hard thing to do, because those who don't hear what i hear in the song can't really be accused of being "wrong", even if I seem to hear something great so clearly. It can be such a fine line between magical vs cliched, touching vs corny, and while something 'Old Time Rock and Roll' is not on the right side of the ledger for me 'NM' definitely is.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 12:46

trans-chigley express wrote:I voted "not moved either way" but my feelings for it probably veer close to Moddie's viewpoint. I have no recollection of ever hearing it before so I have no nostalgia factor attached to it and although I didn't hate it, I didn't feel moved to repeat play either.

Ok, better take if off the next mix playlist i was making for you! :D ;)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Sep 2018, 12:48

fange wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:I voted "not moved either way" but my feelings for it probably veer close to Moddie's viewpoint. I have no recollection of ever hearing it before so I have no nostalgia factor attached to it and although I didn't hate it, I didn't feel moved to repeat play either.

Ok, better take if off the next mix playlist i was making for you! :D ;)

Remove that Jimmy Barnes one too while you're at it :lol:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 12:49

:lol: That one was still in the "maybe" long list, so no problem.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 07 Sep 2018, 14:05

It’s a complicated subject and I have almost no time to write anything about anything but my feelings for Night Moves aren’t tied to nostalgia. It’s been around for most of my life, but I never really liked it until recently. When it clicked, it had nothing to do with anything in the past, it was a reaction to how I heard the record in the present. What I WILL say is that maybe having heard something g dozens (if not hundreds) of times means that you have a different way in to the record. There’s a baseline of familiarity that means that when you choose to focus on it, you can focus more intently, without the mental noise that comes with processing something you’ve never heard at all. That baseline familiarity lets you dive deeper into the record if and when you choose to do it.

For me, one day it just happened. It came on the radio in the car and instead of changing the channel, something sounded different enough or interesting enough for me to think, “hey, this actually sounds pretty good,” and then to turn it up and actually listen to it in an open way for the first time in 35 years of the record being on the radio.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 07 Sep 2018, 14:30

Baron speaks for me in many ways - a record doesn't change, but maybe the ambiance of life changes, maybe we change, maybe the world around us changes.

This particular song could absolutely serve as shorthand for "superfluous filler towards which I felt downright borderline indifference/antipathy for decades". The notion of it evoking nostalgia is certainly not applicable in my case - I remember being some kid who thought Bob Seger was real stock meat and potatoes school lunch for folks who couldn't (or didn't want to) go out and discover the Soft Boys or Can or the Cocteau Twins or...whatever I would have considered shorthand for "my own exceptional youthful discernment."

Baron's right, though - things that have been in the ether (whatever we make of them) for long enough ARE probably able to open themselves up to us in a very specific way. You can see right past all the parts you'd already taken in (analogous to the "eventually invisible/peripheral" scenery of a familiar interior in a movie) and suddenly zoom in on crucial pieces that had gotten buried forever and perhaps were 100% imperceptible until one day they weren't.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2018, 14:33

There's definitely a cultural divide in the appreciation of a song like that. I don't claim to love it, but to say he can't sing is humorous. I dunno, maybe there's just a different taste when it comes to what one finds attractive in the human vocal range. Scott Walker is considered to be a good singer by many BCBers and I want to laugh when he sings his first note. There's also this anti-emotive (not a good way of describing it) vibe coming from some posters here where they're immediately turned off by the earnestness of the song and the way it's sung. They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well. And it's not like Seger is delivering the song like Mariah Carey or anything, it's all rather tastefully done, it's just that the whole vibe of someone narrating a tale of looking back or reminiscing strikes them as false from the get go.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Sep 2018, 14:45

Matt Wilson wrote:They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well.

Bit early in the day for that kind of foolishness isn't it Matthew? :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2018, 15:31

That's never stopped you John!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Sep 2018, 15:57

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 07 Sep 2018, 16:03

Besides, it's NEVER too early for me to be foolish!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 07 Sep 2018, 16:07

My Bob Seger epiphany is still some way off I suspect. Perhaps on my death bed its greatness will be revealed, sadly all too late as Fange as not selected the vote changing option :(

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Sep 2018, 16:32

trans-chigley express wrote:My Bob Seger epiphany is still some way off I suspect. Perhaps on my death bed its greatness will be revealed, sadly all too late as Fange as not selected the vote changing option :(

Done! Change away when ready. :)
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 08 Sep 2018, 04:48

fange wrote:I bet Loki's a fan - she loves her '90s music.

At this point I wouldn't put it past me.

OK OK.....I was living in Detroit when Night Moves (the album) came out, so you can almost imagine how saturated the local market was, with Bob. I generally liked the album, but the titular tune not so much. Now I avoid it if at all possible.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 08 Sep 2018, 05:20

:) Yeah, i thought you were a local at the time; i always find it nteresting to see how someone who lived through a particular moment in music saw it at the time and how they feel about it now.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Sep 2018, 09:32

Matt Wilson wrote:There's definitely a cultural divide in the appreciation of a song like that. I don't claim to love it, but to say he can't sing is humorous. I dunno, maybe there's just a different taste when it comes to what one finds attractive in the human vocal range. Scott Walker is considered to be a good singer by many BCBers and I want to laugh when he sings his first note. There's also this anti-emotive (not a good way of describing it) vibe coming from some posters here where they're immediately turned off by the earnestness of the song and the way it's sung. They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well. And it's not like Seger is delivering the song like Mariah Carey or anything, it's all rather tastefully done, it's just that the whole vibe of someone narrating a tale of looking back or reminiscing strikes them as false from the get go.

If ever a paragraph was comedy music gold, here it is.

You haven't a fucking clue why I, or others, don't like Seger's voice. It's fuck all to do with 'earnestness' for starters - I'm a fucking Springsteen fan, for fuck's sake. I dislike Seger's voice because it's a particularly unappealing combination of gruff and thin. It sounds horrid, simple as that.

As for 'being uncomfortable with emotion in singing' you really are taking the fucking piss, aren't you? Who in all hell's fucking name do you think you are, stating something as fact that is absolutely clearly complete and utter bollocks.

Have you ever considered why some think you're a patronising, condescending prick, Matt?

You need to.
And before you start your normal bollocks about who threw the first insult.... "They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well." Just think about that.

:D
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 08 Sep 2018, 09:39

Matt Wilson wrote:

...some posters here (are) immediately turned off by the earnestness of the song and the way it's sung. They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well.

Can't speak for the other emotionally empty BCBers here, but I wept* when I read your words, Matt.

Thank the good lord we have emotionally well-adjusted posters like you to speak up and tell us how it is!

* tears of laughter

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Sep 2018, 15:14

Diamond Dog wrote:Have you ever considered why some think you're a patronising, condescending prick, Matt?

You need to.
And before you start your normal bollocks about who threw the first insult.... "They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well." Just think about that.

:D

:lol:

Wow, must've struck a chord, eh, Petey?

And I'll answer your question with another: Have you ever considered why most think you're far and away the biggest cunt on BCB? Just think about that.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 08 Sep 2018, 15:22

Well, a fair few have met him :)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Sep 2018, 15:26

Including me, and more than once I might add.

Return to “Yakety Yak”