63%
Nay
21%
I'm not moved either way
17%

Total votes: 24

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Bob Seger - Night Moves: yea or nay?

Postby clive gash » 08 Sep 2018, 15:31

Thoughts and prayers.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Sep 2018, 15:33

He's quite all right in person. Doesn't froth at the mouth at the slightest perceived insult and all.

andymacandy
"Liberal Airhead"

Postby andymacandy » 08 Sep 2018, 17:31

Well, I like Night Moves, and I like the live album "Nine Tonight" too,but Im guessing that isnt what this thread is actually about?
I quite liked it when we used to talk about music...................
Bless the weather.......Image

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Sep 2018, 11:32

Matt Wilson wrote: They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well.

Earlier :

Matt Wilson wrote:He's quite all right in person. Doesn't froth at the mouth at the slightest perceived insult and all.

Perceived insult?

You really are a piece of work.

It's also safe to assume that anyone who likes Seger's voice is a well adjusted stand up member of society?
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 14:53

So what, why does that bother you so? Did it ever occur to you that the people who might take offense to that remark are the ones to whom it most applies? It doesn't mean you're not a well-adjusted member of society if you don't like emotion in art or elswhere. You're far too sensitive.

You overreact sometimes, Pete. And for you, of all people to point out how other BCBers view another in a negative way is the height of hypocrisy. It's the Mount fucking Olympus of cluelessness.

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 09 Sep 2018, 15:13

Of course a big fat yea from me, “points of her own sitting way up high” not withstanding.I though it was a great song. I was 13 in a decaying small blue collar town, and had more in common with it than Springsteen’s NY/Philly Romeo and Juliet bullshit. I loved the acoustic guitar and would play along with it. 1976 was a pretty good year for US top 40 songs.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Sep 2018, 16:48

Matt Wilson wrote:So what, why does that bother you so? Did it ever occur to you that the people who might take offense to that remark are the ones to whom it most applies? It doesn't mean you're not a well-adjusted member of society if you don't like emotion in art or elswhere. You're far too sensitive.

You overreact sometimes, Pete. And for you, of all people to point out how other BCBers view another in a negative way is the height of hypocrisy. It's the Mount fucking Olympus of cluelessness.

lol

Okay - let's go at this from a different angle shall we.

"They're uncomfortable with emotion in singing and I suspect in other areas of life as well." Okay - what others areas of life are people that don't like Bob Seger's voice uncomfortable with?
Cocaine

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 09 Sep 2018, 17:07

I think the “Night Moves epiphany moment” must be a real thing.

It happened to me early. I’m not sure how old I was...11...12...maybe 13. It already felt like I’d been hearing the song forever. It had probably come out the year before (I say this because I specifically recall hearing ‘Thunder Island’ by Jay Furguson for the first time that night).

By that time, ‘Night Moves’ had been ubiquitous enough for so long that I regarded it as an oldie. If you’d have asked me then, I’d have agreed with all of the detractors here. It was a boring song that went on too long. One of those records you tolerated while waiting for something exciting to come on.

Back in those days, I often slept with my radio on. But I’d just gotten my first stereo system, so it was like I was hearing everything in 3D for the first time.

The night of the ‘great epiphany’ - I’d gone to sleep in the eerie green light of the stereo’s radio dial. I was essentially still a kid, and I was prone to all sorts of nightmares and waking nighttime fears. So the music soothed me to sleep.

But this one night, I’d awoken in the wee-small hours in some kind of sheer terror. Who knows why anymore. So I was up again...pacifying myself with music.

Then that strum...

“She was a little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...”

It probably helped the song click for me that I was in that phase where I’d already discovered the opposite sex, but was wondering how many years it would be before any of them discovered me.

Hearing it on a stereo (and in a moment of such heightened awareness) - it was a whole new song. The depth of the actual recording finally landed. It was a record with all sorts of open space. Plus the lyric...it made pre-teen me yearn nostalgically for my own (I hoped) future. I wanted to “steal away every chance we could” with someone.

Then the “I woke last night to the sound of thunder” section. I can’t describe how it felt to hear a barely-accompanied human voice fill up my room asking, “ain’t it funny how the night moves” when you are feeling stranded in the middle of one of those nights with the residue of night-terror still in your young body.

It was a really formative musical experience for me. It helped shape a lot of what I look for in a record. Intimacy. Space. The sense of a life lived.

As others have eloquently said - I know all of the anti-Seger arguments. Years later I saw him try to talk himself into a sold-out movie theater by pulling a, “don’t you know who I am” and the whole thing ballooned into a riff on his absurdity in subsequent tellings - where he’d attempt to play one last card by saying, “I have Don Henley in the car!” only to be dismissed more definitively (I actually can’t recall anymore if he actually said that part, or if we just made it up as a punch line).

But point is...I get what a hairy bag of earnest FM radio mush he sometimes appears to be. But I also know that a handful of his peak career records either move me, or have moments that move me. Plus...he sang, ‘Ramblin Gamblin Man!’

I don’t know that I’ve ever had that same moment with ‘Night Moves’ again. But I hear it differently now. I know it has that power somewhere in it. So when we cross paths, I think of us as old friends.

So yeah. I voted for it. I doubt that surprises anyone.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Sep 2018, 21:16

Well Matt didn't fancy answering my question on the thread and has done so via PM.

By not answering it. Amd warning me that people will associate this behaviour (whatev er that is) with me if I bring it up on the thread.

Thanks for the advice Matt. :lol:
Cocaine

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Sep 2018, 21:28

No problem, Pete. I just figured people were tired of your drama.

But I guess you never get sick of airing your dirty BCB laundry in public.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 10 Sep 2018, 11:08

Had not heard it in yonks. The kind of song that might pop up in FM and you don't feel urged to change station, which is the best that I can say about it. So initially I clicked on 'not moved'. Then I played it and listened with some atention and changed to Nay. I find the first part very generic and so riskless that is a bit embarrasing, but then it goes to the bridge and the song sinks without any possible redemption.
Nobody's ferpect.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Sep 2018, 18:08

Night Moves came out when I was first thinking I might be a serious music fan and what that meant. Like any teenager, I was becoming more self-aware of the past and future besides the present. I had a very ambivalent attitude towards school and that sociological hothouse known as high school. That I had started smoking marijuana didn't hurt.

I thought it was interesting to have a song about a guy looking back on the experience I was going through now and how he looked back on it. It made me feel like I might get through all this shit and come out the other side, for better or worse. Just getting through it seemed like an accomplishment.

I love that whole album and listened to it over and over again. I even liked some of the clumsier songs as people have written on the thread. Heck, I was a freshman in high school. It was the first album where I was thinking I was listening to an auteur. Granted, the rest of the albums I was listening to were Frampton, KISS, Aerosmith and stuff like that, so this was pretty introspective in comparison.

As for the rest of Seger. I really like some of his stuff (his double live album, especially) and others not so much. I listened to Against the Wind a month or so ago, and for me, that still stands up pretty well too.

I can see where some folks are put off by his voice.

When I read the Lester Bangs book, I could see why he was put off with his and Seger's history, but I take Bangs with a grain of salt. He's entertaining, but it's only one guy's opinion.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 14 Sep 2018, 00:05

sloopjohnc wrote:When I read the Lester Bangs book, I could see why he was put off with his and Seger's history, but I take Bangs with a grain of salt. He's entertaining, but it's only one guy's opinion.

To his credit, Bangs seemed to take a reasonably nuanced view of "grown up Seger". He quotes the lyrics to (the then new) "Feel Like a Number" and is quite effusive in his praise.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 14 Sep 2018, 00:24

I know this is a ridiculous, sweeping generalisation but Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet band were DOO-DOO.
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Sep 2018, 00:43

Sneelock wrote:I know this is a ridiculous, sweeping generalisation but Bob Seger & the Silver Bullet band were DOO-DOO.

:lol:

All CAPS no less.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Sep 2018, 00:44

Bent Fabric wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:When I read the Lester Bangs book, I could see why he was put off with his and Seger's history, but I take Bangs with a grain of salt. He's entertaining, but it's only one guy's opinion.

To his credit, Bangs seemed to take a reasonably nuanced view of "grown up Seger". He quotes the lyrics to (the then new) "Feel Like a Number" and is quite effusive in his praise.

Great song. I haven't read the book in a long time, but my recollection seemed to me that he traded the days he put Lou Reed or Seger photo on his office dartboard.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 16 Sep 2018, 16:01

Return to “Yakety Yak”