Teenage Fanclub, a world without Love

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Teenage Fanclub, a world without Love

Postby clive gash » 20 Aug 2018, 11:39

Seems a bit odd on the back of the recent slew of reissues.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Bent Fabric

Re: Teenage Fanclub, a world without Love

Postby Bent Fabric » 20 Aug 2018, 17:02

You know, I went to see them just after my 22nd birthday and I certainly didn't consider them "Dadrock" at the time.

Can we, nay SHOULD we, attempt to put an approximate date on their transformation?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Aug 2018, 17:06

Well, they took a dip in the fountain of youth by working with some bloke out of Tortoise. Next step? J Mascis jr from Tame Impala?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Aug 2018, 17:39

I've known this band since before 'Bandwgonesque' and I'd be hard-pressed to name a single member of the band.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 20 Aug 2018, 18:10

Did I tell you I met them in a bakery in Granada in 2011? Anyway I did, and this fella was a bit of a cock. So they're better off without him.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Aug 2018, 18:29

CAN wrote:Did I tell you I met them in a bakery in Granada in 2011? Anyway I did, and this fella was a bit of a cock. So they're better off without him.

Oooo, do tell!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 20 Aug 2018, 22:24

Ah, there's not much to tell. He was just a bit offhand, whereas the others were reasonably friendly. Well, about as friendly as you'd expect when somebody spins around and shouts 'IT'S TEENAGE FANCLUB!' at them...
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 20 Aug 2018, 22:31

I’m pretty shocked by this. The thought of Teenage Fanclub having a Peter Hook/New Order style rift seems so at odds with their amiable image and what I thought was a long haul career. Yet, reading between the lines, that’s what we have here. Maybe not but that’s very business like statement that reads like a football manager sacking.

Gerry was always the power pop dynamo leavening Norman’s classicism and Raymond’s more plangent contributions. It’s virtually impossible to imagine them without him. It also robs them of more than a third of their catalogue and best songs.

I know that in the absence of Django and others, this may not gain much traction as a topic but I’m strangely a little saddened about this.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Aug 2018, 22:43

CAN wrote:Ah, there's not much to tell. He was just a bit offhand, whereas the others were reasonably friendly. Well, about as friendly as you'd expect when somebody spins around and shouts 'IT'S TEENAGE FANCLUB!' at them...

"Cunt proper ruined ma croissant..."
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 20 Aug 2018, 22:51

:D

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 20 Aug 2018, 23:40

Ranking Ted wrote:It also robs them of more than a third of their catalogue and best songs.

Yeah, I certainly don't think of them as a group anywhere near the peak of their powers, but I do keep flashing on the scene from Spinal Tap where David and Derek attempt to fashion a heavily compromised setlist backstage following Nigel's walkout from the tour.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 21 Aug 2018, 21:31

A statement from Gerard, via Creation Records' facebook page:

"From Gerry Love

I thought I should say a few words about the Teenage Fanclub situation.
From the outset I didn’t want to do these particular shows, Hong Kong, Japan, Australia and New Zealand, specifically because of the flying involved. I flew around the world last year and it’s not something that I would want to do too often in my life. I equally didn’t want to stop anyone from making a living and so it’s completely acceptable to me that the band and crew are able to go ahead with the tour. I didn’t leave the group and I wasn’t kicked out, the idea of this tour eventually became a fork in the road and we have just agreed to go our separate ways. It’s not ideal for any of us but it’s as amicable as it can possibly be. We played a couple of shows at the weekend and I think the group’s still sounding pretty good. We have a couple more festival shows next week and then in October and November we have our full album nights where we get the chance to hook up with Brendan and Paul again. All good.
Change is natural and constant and I completely welcome it. All I can say is that I feel very lucky to have met Norman and Raymond all those years ago. Good innings. Thanks."
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 21 Aug 2018, 22:15

Hmmm. I'm not sure why he had to leave the group - they could have played the gigs without him and resumed normal service. Clearly not a Peter Hook scenario but there's clearly been a bigger bust up than anyone's saying ("... it’s as amicable as it can possibly be.") and it seems pretty final. Coming to the last page in Mojo in a couple of years time...

Return to “Yakety Yak”