think carefully....

Do talk back
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

think carefully....

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 21:17

which major-league artist do you really have no time for?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

bobzilla77

Re: think carefully....

Postby bobzilla77 » 14 Aug 2018, 21:38

Kanye West

I usually answer Springsteen and the Dead but today it's him. I like some hip hop quite a lot. But I can't get with him at all. I don't like his public persona but that's not it either. I just don't hear whatever it is that makes him better and more interesting than the guys down the block.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 14 Aug 2018, 22:11

I don't have to think carefully. Smiths/Morrissey and anything Roger Waters related. It's been the same answer for years.

With Bob about Kanye too.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 22:15

toomanyhatz wrote:...anything Roger Waters related. It's been the same answer for years.

I was going to say Pink Floyd but the early stuff with Syd is soooo great it seems unfair.

But.....yeah.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 14 Aug 2018, 22:37

CAN wrote:
toomanyhatz wrote:...anything Roger Waters related. It's been the same answer for years.

I was going to say Pink Floyd but the early stuff with Syd is soooo great it seems unfair.

But.....yeah.

Does that mean if you like anything by an artist, you shouldn't include them? I even like a couple Radiohead songs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Aug 2018, 22:40

I think Dylan, Bowie, and Joy Division are the only ones I do have any time for. And even then, it's roughly the same number of albums by each.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Aug 2018, 22:48

Taking 'have no time for' literally, all of them, even the ones I used to like to listen to. And the ones I didn't like, I've managed to avoid (Zeppelin for instance), or perhaps enjoyed one or two tracks, or a certain period (early Stevie Wonder, say), or, usually, just got over it - how much emotional energy can anyone justify investing in maintaining rancour over a pop music grievance half a century old? - but after thinking very carefully, I think I can say I've never heard anything I've liked (which is not to say I've heard much of many of them; once shat on, thrice shy) – and have often actively disliked to the point of nose-bleed passion, and the wish to do them harm – from Beck (and any other Scientologist), Rush (fuck Objectivism with a barbed wire piledriver), Skrewdriver, Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Byuck, Sigur Ros, Joanna Newsom, Deep Purple and any other cunt band who played with classical musicians because they thought it progressive, and, top of the pile of faggots awaiting the flame of my righteous ire, the Moody Fucking Blues. Whether all of them count as major league, I couldn't say. As soon as I press submit, another dozen will come flooding back, no doubt.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 Aug 2018, 22:49

Quaco wrote:
CAN wrote:

But.....yeah.

Does that mean if you like anything by an artist, you shouldn't include them?

Yeah, otherwise we'll just end up with lists.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 14 Aug 2018, 22:49

Incidentally, I've been here for five years, no-one has wished me happy anniversary and I still haven't got the key to the Secret Room.
WTF?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 15 Aug 2018, 01:34

toomanyhatz wrote: Smiths/Morrissey

Are they major league? If so I'd agree.

Also Bon Jovi, despite a ready willingness to sing along to Living on a Prayer :lol:

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 15 Aug 2018, 04:11

U2 probably the most obvious, though I have no use for Joni Mitchell, for instance. Don't think either is shit; just that they have nothing that I've been able to appreciate.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 15 Aug 2018, 08:29

Springsteen. As usual.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 15 Aug 2018, 12:37

Dylan.
He's currently here and doing a lot of shows, even in small venues. But to hear him rumble through his stuff and not engage in something remotely spontaneous or outside his comfort zone, I'll pass.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 15 Aug 2018, 14:33

The Band.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 15 Aug 2018, 14:50

Rayge wrote:Incidentally, I've been here for five years, no-one has wished me happy anniversary and I still haven't got the key to the Secret Room.
WTF?

:lol: :lol:

FWIW, I do think that your anniversary is a cause for celebration, Ray!

As for the question, The Smiths and Morrissey are the first that come to mind, not sure whether there's anybody else, actually.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

TG

Postby TG » 15 Aug 2018, 15:01

Leaving off Rap & C&W artists that I have no time for (and I own a lot from both genres) or acts that I own even one record by and sticking to the types of acts that might be talked about around here -

The Eagles
Billy Joel
Grateful Dead
Joni Mitchell
Dave Matthews
Bon Jovi
Yes
Emerson, Lake & Palmer
Chicago
Radiohead

I’m sure there are more.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

driftin

Postby driftin » 15 Aug 2018, 15:08

Oh there's plenty that I've completely written off but I'll just say The Rolling Stones for now. I tried but found absolutely nothing of interest in them.

pig bodine

Postby pig bodine » 15 Aug 2018, 16:19

Other than the Beatles, I can’t think of any I do have any time for. The 60’s Kinks, but I don’t think they’re “major,” certainty not multi-platinum. The bands I once did like have all fallen out of favor due mainly to media over saturation, or burning away any good will by trotting their aged carcasses out on tour after tour to wheeze out boomer favorites. I can’t see ever needing to hear Pink Floyd, The Who, The Rolling Stones or Led Zeppelin again.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Aug 2018, 17:18

Diamond Dog wrote:The Band.

Yeah, I could never get with their Civil War re-enactment rock schtick.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Osgood

Postby Osgood » 15 Aug 2018, 18:41

Joy Division and The Smiths are the first that came to mind, besides hip hop as a genre. Oh and most things metal.
Nobody's ferpect.

Return to “Yakety Yak”