Your favorite albums of 1991

Do talk back
User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17100
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby pcqgod » 08 Aug 2018, 19:42

Here's a link of popular albums from 1991, in case you can't remember that far back:

https://rateyourmusic.com/charts/top/album/1991
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Dayodead
Posts: 584
Joined: 15 May 2015, 21:39
Location: West Los Angeles

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Dayodead » 08 Aug 2018, 21:43

1. Massive Attack- Blue Lines
2. My Bloody Valentine- Loveless
3. Slint - Spiderland
4. REM- Out of Time
5. Slowdive- Just for a day
6. The field mice- For keeps
7. Saint Etienne - Foxbase Alpha
8. Unsane- Unsane
9. A tribe called quest- The low end theory
10.  Nation of Ulysses- 13 point program to destroy America

Eleventh Dream Day- Lived to tell
Mercury Rev- Yerself is steam
Cypress Hill - "Cypress Hill"
Pixies- Trompe le monde
Cranes- Wings of joy
Nightmares on Wax- A word of science
firehose- Flyin' the flannel
Fugazi- Steady diet of nothing
Superchunk- No pocky for kitty
Beat Happening- Dreamy
Public Enemy- Apocalypse 91....The enemy strikes black
Ice Cube- Death Certificate
Mudhoney- Every good boy deserves fudge
Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity
Coil - Love's Secret Domain
Dinosaur Jr - Green Mind
Cows - Peacetika
TAD - 8-Way Santa
Magnetic Fields- Distant Plastic Trees

Clock DVA - Man-Amplified (There seems to be some debate on when this was released..mine says 1992, others 1991...) 

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5932
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2018, 08:17

I would've thought I owned much more from 1991, but everything in this top 10 is absolutely top-notch, some stellar stuff released in 91.

1. Clock DVA - Man-Amplified
2. The Legendary Pink Dots - The Maria Dimension
3. Edward Ka-Spel - Tanith and the Lion Tree
4. Coil - Love's Secret Domain
5. Klinik - Time
6. Leatherface - Mush
7. Front 242 - Tyranny for You
8. Holger Hiller - As Is
9. Swans - White Light From the Mouth of Infinity
10. Jandek - One Foot in the North


Nearly:
Doom - The Greatest Invention
In the Nursery - Sense
PainKiller - Guts of a Virgin
Cop Shoot Cop - White Noise
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12232
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby The Modernist » 09 Aug 2018, 08:22

The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld was a big album for me that year. The Young Disciples Road to Freedom was another that got a lot of plays.

User avatar
Oscar
Northern Taoist
Posts: 12001
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:33

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Oscar » 09 Aug 2018, 13:05

Just the "normal" stuff for me;

Teenage Fanclub Bandwagonesque
Massive Attack Blue Lines
The Orb The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld
A Tribe Called Quest The Low End Theory
Billy Bragg Don't Try This At Home
Crowded House Woodface
Green On Red Scapegoats
Ice-T O.G. Original Gangster
Julian Cope Peggy Suicide
LFO Frequencies
Neil Young & Crazy Horse Weld
Nirvana Nevermind
Pixies Trompe Le Monde
R.E.M. Out Of Time
Talk Talk Laughing Stock
This Mortal Coil Blood
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers Into The Great Wide Open
Young Disciples Road To Freedom
Last edited by Oscar on 10 Aug 2018, 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Posts: 18523
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 09 Aug 2018, 13:42

fucking hell
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42948
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby LeBaron » 09 Aug 2018, 17:43

As I have said before, it was a good year to be 17.

1. MBV Loveless


2. NIRVANA Nevermind
3. TEENAGE FANCLUB Bandwagonesque


4. TRIBE CALLED QUEST Low End Theory
5. URGE OVERKILL Supersonic Storybook
6. NEIL YOUNG & CRAZY HORSE Weld
7. DRIVE LIKE JEHU
8. MUDHONEY Every Good Boy
9. ORB Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld
10. FEELIES Time For A Witness
11. ELEVENTH DREAM DAY Lived To Tell

Other 1991 records that I can't deny . . .
In no particular order

DE LA SOUL De La Soul Is Dead
PEARL JAM Ten
SOUNDGARDEN Badmotorfinger
U2 Achtung
PIXIES Trompe Le Monde
SMASHING PUMPKINS Gish
SUPERCHUNK No Pocky For Kitty
MATERIAL ISSUE International Pop Overthrow
CHAPTERHOUSE Whirlpool
L7 Smell The Magic
FLAT DUO JETS Go Go Harlem Baby
JOAO GILBERTO Joao
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2018, 17:57

LeBaron wrote:As I have said before, it was a good year to be 17.

1. MBV Loveless
2. NIRVANA Nevermind
3. TEENAGE FANCLUB Bandwagonesque
5. URGE OVERKILL Supersonic Storybook
PIXIES Trompe Le Monde
SMASHING PUMPKINS Gish
MATERIAL ISSUE International Pop Overthrow


I was 21 - much as it kills me to admit it, I definitely fetishize that combination of relative innocence and contemporary music.

Lush/Ride was definitely show of the year for me. Which may be the most 1991 sentence a person will ever utter.

User avatar
LeBaron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 42948
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby LeBaron » 09 Aug 2018, 18:53

Bent Fabric wrote:
LeBaron wrote:As I have said before, it was a good year to be 17.

1. MBV Loveless
2. NIRVANA Nevermind
3. TEENAGE FANCLUB Bandwagonesque
5. URGE OVERKILL Supersonic Storybook
PIXIES Trompe Le Monde
SMASHING PUMPKINS Gish
MATERIAL ISSUE International Pop Overthrow


I was 21 - much as it kills me to admit it, I definitely fetishize that combination of relative innocence and contemporary music.

Lush/Ride was definitely show of the year for me. Which may be the most 1991 sentence a person will ever utter.


Indeed! I couldn't go to a lot of shows until I turned 18, so I missed that one. I had to wait until Pale Saints were opening to see Lush. But I DID see UO opening for Mudhoney, which changed my life until I saw MBV a few months later, which changed my life again. Rock shows don't do that for me now! :lol:
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2018, 19:03

LeBaron wrote:
Bent Fabric wrote:
LeBaron wrote:As I have said before, it was a good year to be 17.

1. MBV Loveless
2. NIRVANA Nevermind
3. TEENAGE FANCLUB Bandwagonesque
5. URGE OVERKILL Supersonic Storybook
PIXIES Trompe Le Monde
SMASHING PUMPKINS Gish
MATERIAL ISSUE International Pop Overthrow


I was 21 - much as it kills me to admit it, I definitely fetishize that combination of relative innocence and contemporary music.

Lush/Ride was definitely show of the year for me. Which may be the most 1991 sentence a person will ever utter.


Indeed! I couldn't go to a lot of shows until I turned 18, so I missed that one. I had to wait until Pale Saints were opening to see Lush. But I DID see UO opening for Mudhoney, which changed my life until I saw MBV a few months later, which changed my life again. Rock shows don't do that for me now! :lol:


Oh, Jesus: Autumn 1990-Spring 1992 was not only the peak of my own concert attendance (shows were cheap, I lived at home till college graduation), but...the actual content seems mind-boggling now (I saw every band that I copied from your rundown, and many of those more than once) as well as many, many, many more (if there was an optimal time to see Pixies, Sonic Youth, Redd Kross, Cocteau Twins, Jane's Addiction, Swervedriver, Dinosaur Jr., Public Enemy, Happy Mondays, Buzzcocks, etc....in most cases, it was assuredly the week that I saw them during that stretch).

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29531
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Matt Wilson » 09 Aug 2018, 19:40

I was 26, and it was a peak year (THE peak?) for LPs in the '90s.
Coan wrote:'Vertigo' is one of the best things U2 have ever done, one of a handful of occasions where they get it just right. That bit near the end where the song lifts off? You don't get that with The Allman Brothers.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38258
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Aug 2018, 20:30

I was thirteen and still pretty much listening to hardcore oldies radio.

Nirvana and Pearl Jam were about the only ones that got through to me contemporaneously thanks to MTV/an older brother. Nowadays I like plenty of these records.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2018, 20:31

Count Machuki wrote:I was thirteen and still pretty much listening to hardcore oldies radio.


"Goin' ALL the way back with the FEEDERZ!!"

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38258
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Aug 2018, 20:49

Bent Fabric wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:I was thirteen and still pretty much listening to hardcore oldies radio.


"Goin' ALL the way back with the FEEDERZ!!"


:lol:

It's 4:55 and now another looooong rock block of Dischord hits...weather and traffic coming up on the hour
*good time great old-ies*
WHAT HAPPENED TO YOOOOOUUUU?!?!?!?
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2018, 21:02

Count Machuki wrote:weather and traffic coming up on the hour


Don't YOU be out of step - stay tuned.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 5932
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Aug 2018, 21:14

I was 15/16, just sitting around hoping there'd be a third wave of ska.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

User avatar
Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013
Posts: 38258
Joined: 11 Jun 2005, 15:28
Location: ~84 bpm

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Aug 2018, 21:17

Darkness_Fish wrote:I was 15/16, just sitting around hoping there'd be a third wave of ska.


:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17100
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby pcqgod » 09 Aug 2018, 22:32

Bent Fabric wrote:
Oh, Jesus: Autumn 1990-Spring 1992 was not only the peak of my own concert attendance (shows were cheap, I lived at home till college graduation), but...the actual content seems mind-boggling now (I saw every band that I copied from your rundown, and many of those more than once) as well as many, many, many more (if there was an optimal time to see Pixies, Sonic Youth, Redd Kross, Cocteau Twins, Jane's Addiction, Swervedriver, Dinosaur Jr., Public Enemy, Happy Mondays, Buzzcocks, etc....in most cases, it was assuredly the week that I saw them during that stretch).


Probably for me to, continuing on until '93 but definitely ending by '94, when I entered law school. In those years, I saw Sonic Youth, Redd Kross, Jane's Addiction, Dinosaur jr., Pixies, Breeders, Throwing Muses, Fishbone, firehose, Screaming Trees, Flaming Lips, etc etc. And Buzzcocks, for that matter.

What I was spinning at home, then:

Thinking Fellers Union Local #282 – Lovelyville
Saint Etienne -- Foxbase Alpha
Throwing Muses – The Real Ramona
Young Fresh Fellows -- Electric Bird Digest
The Barracudas -- Wait for Everything
Teenage Fanclub -- Bandwagonesque
Screaming Trees -- Uncle Anesthesia
Zap Mama – s/t
KLF – The White Room
My Bloody Valentine – Loveless
Fishbone – The Reality of my Surroundings
3 Mustaphas 3 – Friend, Fiends & Fronds
Hoodoo Gurus – Kinky
Ween – The Pod
Nirvana -- Nevermind
Boukman Eksperyans – Vodou Adjae
Yothu Yindi – Tribal Voice
Jesus Lizard – Goat
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Bent Fabric
Posts: 2807
Joined: 22 Jul 2014, 21:38

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2018, 22:42

pcqgod wrote:Breeders, Throwing Muses, Screaming Trees, Flaming Lips, etc etc.


Oh for fuck's sake, how could I forget! They also served, etc. (Suede, for sure)

My own aging memory tells me that a few of these were as great as anything I'd ever see (Breeders at the very beginning of the Last Splash tour...Jesus!).

I'm sure none of this would seem at all remarkable if you were older and saw Hendrix, Beatles, Velvets, Syd's Floyd, etc. but...I'm not and I didn't.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12697
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Your favorite albums of 1991

Postby fange » 09 Aug 2018, 23:02

Image
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!