Funhouse

Do talk back
User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39696
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Funhouse

Postby Charlie O. » 07 Aug 2018, 22:09

TG wrote:
Super Furry Animals wrote:
a day or two ago, Super Furry Animals wrote:'1970' and 'Loose' are ferocious beasts

And TV Eye and Down on the Street and that’s more than half the album. It’s one of the finest rock records ever and you know it. Or you should.

Don't forget the title track!

Speaking of which, it's strange - but I can never remember whether the song and album title is one word or two. I just looked it up and it's two: "Fun House" (or "fun house"). That just looks wrong to me for some reason.
Image

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3737
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Funhouse

Postby TG » 07 Aug 2018, 22:12

Charlie O. wrote:
TG wrote:
Super Furry Animals wrote:

And TV Eye and Down on the Street and that’s more than half the album. It’s one of the finest rock records ever and you know it. Or you should.

Don't forget the title track!

Speaking of which, it's strange - but I can never remember whether the song and album title is one word or two. I just looked it up and it's two: "Fun House" (or "fun house"). That just looks wrong to me for some reason.


I love the whole thing unreservedly. And I thought it was one word.

Blow Steve!!!
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
fange
100% fangetastic
Posts: 13084
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: Funhouse

Postby fange » 07 Aug 2018, 23:25

Moleskin wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:It's in the top-five greatest albums ever made.


Absolutely.

It sure is for me. One.of the handful of albums that changed the way i listen to music.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock
Posts: 46412
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:05
Location: I'm only here for the sneer
Contact:

Re: Funhouse

Postby The Slider » 08 Aug 2018, 07:53

Diamond Dog wrote:It's derivative shite. Like everything else they made.

Dull, uninventive two chord shite, for people with no capacity for thought.


Thank God for Crowded House, eh?
The Complete Beatles Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.
Image

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67329
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Funhouse

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 08:46

The Slider wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It's derivative shite. Like everything else they made.

Dull, uninventive two chord shite, for people with no capacity for thought.


Thank God for Crowded House, eh?


"The Irony-Meter hits all time low...."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 12371
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Funhouse

Postby Geezee » 08 Aug 2018, 13:19

Diamond Dog wrote:It's derivative shite. Like everything else they made.


It can be criticised for many things but...derivative? Of whom?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Funhouse

Postby clive gash » 08 Aug 2018, 13:26

Two-chord is wide of the mark too.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67329
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Funhouse

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 13:40

Geezee wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:It's derivative shite. Like everything else they made.


It can be criticised for many things but...derivative? Of whom?



Any other tuneless shite you care to mention!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19603
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Funhouse

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 08 Aug 2018, 14:03

And this is a man whose favourite band is Led Zeppelin...
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67329
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Funhouse

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 14:18

The Velvet Underground wrote:And this is a man whose favourite band is Led Zeppelin...


No flies on you today is there matey!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53086
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Funhouse

Postby Snarfyguy » 08 Aug 2018, 21:31

Charlie O. wrote:* I do wish they had dropped "L.A. Blues" and instead pursued "Lost In The Future" for more than one complete take. That would have been a great "end of Side 1" number (even Take 1 wouldn't have been bad), leaving "Dirt" for the perfect closer.

I don't find "L.A. Blues" that much fun to listen to, but in terms of form, it's a great closer: a deconstructed musical apocalypse.

I'd never heard "Lost in the Future" until just now and it strikes me as merely a dirge. Perhaps with more work they could have made it into something more interesting.

I'm fine with the album as it is, a swaggering, arrogant wail.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
TG
Posts: 3737
Joined: 30 May 2006, 23:41
Location: Boss Angeles

Re: Funhouse

Postby TG » 08 Aug 2018, 22:00

Snarfyguy wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:* I do wish they had dropped "L.A. Blues" and instead pursued "Lost In The Future" for more than one complete take. That would have been a great "end of Side 1" number (even Take 1 wouldn't have been bad), leaving "Dirt" for the perfect closer.

I don't find "L.A. Blues" that much fun to listen to, but in terms of form, it's a great closer: a deconstructed musical apocalypse.

I'd never heard "Lost in the Future" until just now and it strikes me as merely a dirge. Perhaps with more work they could have made it into something more interesting.

I'm fine with the album as it is, a swaggering, arrogant wail.


I wonder if it would have been worked into something more interesting? The complete box (which I’ve never had the nerve to listen to all the way through) seems to indicate that they came in with songs and every take was nearly identical to every other.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47028
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Funhouse

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 22:08

Charlie O. wrote:
TG wrote:
Super Furry Animals wrote:

And TV Eye and Down on the Street and that’s more than half the album. It’s one of the finest rock records ever and you know it. Or you should.

Don't forget the title track!

Speaking of which, it's strange - but I can never remember whether the song and album title is one word or two. I just looked it up and it's two: "Fun House" (or "fun house"). That just looks wrong to me for some reason.

Maybe you are thinking of the one-word "Funtime"?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 39696
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Funhouse

Postby Charlie O. » 08 Aug 2018, 22:59

Snarfyguy wrote:I'd never heard "Lost in the Future" until just now and it strikes me as merely a dirge. Perhaps with more work they could have made it into something more interesting.

I like it very much as is, but... every song on the album (not counting “L.A. Blues”) got a minimum of twelve takes, with Ig constantly refining the lyrics as he went along. I think it could have ended up something really special.
Image

User avatar
Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs
Posts: 10324
Joined: 07 Sep 2004, 16:52
Location: Presently Shattering the Illusion of Integrity
Contact:

Re: Funhouse

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 00:54

bump
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.