Paul Weller is a cunt

Do talk back
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Paul Weller is a cunt

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2018, 09:39

Six String wrote:I've never forgiven him for The Style Council. I bought the first e.p. when it was released and was shocked. After the Jam he gives us that??? I never bought another thing by him though I still play my Jam records.

If you're talking about the Paris Match ep, it was one of the best things he ever did. Absolutely sublime. Cheers Paul!

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Aug 2018, 09:44

The Modernist wrote:
Six String wrote:I've never forgiven him for The Style Council. I bought the first e.p. when it was released and was shocked. After the Jam he gives us that??? I never bought another thing by him though I still play my Jam records.

If you're talking about the Paris Match ep, it was one of the best things he ever did. Absolutely sublime. Cheers Paul!

Well I was just about to say something similar.

I wonder how many on this thread have actually listened to "As Is Now" "22 Dreams" and " Wake Up The Nation", the three albums he released between 2005-10?

Not many, I'll bet.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Aug 2018, 09:51

Wake Up The Nation - the one with the Velvet Underground influence? :)

...they're one of my favourite bands now. I got into their music about two or three years ago through my daughter buying their first album and not liking it and then passing it on to me and I thought, what have I been missing all these years?

http://thequietus.com/articles/04110-pa ... le-council

NEVER TOO LATE
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Aug 2018, 09:52

He just did it better!
Cocaine

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Aug 2018, 09:53

:lol:
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Aug 2018, 09:59

*did I say something funny?*... :)
Cocaine

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 07 Aug 2018, 11:07

my problem with PW, which goes back to the Jam days, is nothing to do with his mastery of any particular style or influence or whatever. I have no problem with (nor interest in, tbf) his musicianship or technique, my problem is substance. Once he got over his youthful flash and look-at-me lyrics, and started to write 'meaningful' and musicianly stuff, he revealed himself to be a deeply boring, not particularly bright and conservative man, and while I never have willingly listened to anything since he dumped his rhythm section, nothing I have read in interviews, even that one that JC linked, has come close to persuading me otherwise.
Still, he apparently makes a nice strong cup of tea. Cutting edge or what?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 07 Aug 2018, 11:21

Nothing more righteous than those who dismiss nearly 35+ years of a career, whilst admitting to not listening to a single jot of it.
Cocaine

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 07 Aug 2018, 22:49

I'm not sure in what way he's supposed to be a cunt.
He's written some great songs, he's written some not so great songs.

The way he ditched Foxton and Buckler in 1982 was, yeh.......probably cuntish, but they were riding on his coat tails and I don't think they're doing as bad as the rhythm section of The Chords.

So..... only a bit of a cunt.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 07 Aug 2018, 22:54

The Prof wrote:I'm not sure in what way he's supposed to be a cunt.
He's written some great songs, he's written some not so great songs.

The way he ditched Foxton and Buckler in 1982 was, yeh.......probably cuntish, but they were riding on his coat tails and I don't think they're doing as bad as the rhythm section of The Chords.

I don't think it was cuntish at all. All he did was split up a band because he was bored with it.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 07 Aug 2018, 23:02

I think 2/3rds of The Jam think he's a cunt.
Along with Coan and Yomp

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 08 Aug 2018, 02:08

Also, his decision to abandon guitar rock for a while and go into sort of a stylish pop music was surely born of a true love of music and genuine interest in different styles. So many of the bad decisions we attribute to our idols would make complete sense if you had to go through their experiences. Spend six years with Foxton and Buckler, their attitudes, smells, and opinions, and you become less precious about keeping the band -- great though they were -- together. Spend all that time lugging equipment, repairing guitars, blasting out your eardrums, listening to those thuddy Tama drums for months while mixing, and maybe you long for something lighter, fresher, more fun. You look to other areas, other ways of making music.

Musicians are into music. Often a wider variety than we give them credit for, or allow them to play. Many of the "bad" records artists make, I'm sure, come from a real interest in that style.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 08 Aug 2018, 09:24

Ok, I don't know if he's a cunt. And I haven't listened to every record he's released in the last 35 years.

But every time I do hear something he's recorded it seems to be the epitome of very, very dull retro-leaning dad-rock that makes The Mavericks "Dance the Night Away" sound frighteningly avant-garde.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 11:04

The Prof wrote:I think 2/3rds of The Jam think he's a cunt.
Along with Coan and Yomp

Foxton played on his "Wake Up the Nation" album in 2010 and popped up on a couple of gigs too, I believe. They are now friends and I don't think they ever really fell out, after the initial split acrimony anyway.

Buckler probably does think he's a cunt, but really shouldn't because Weller has had to cede money for songwriting credits to him for music he sure as shit didn't write. In fact, I'd go as far as to say Buckler (of all people) ought to be calling him his best mate.

And who really cares what Yomp and Coan think?
Last edited by Diamond Dog on 08 Aug 2018, 11:10, edited 3 times in total.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 11:08

Darkness_Fish wrote:But every time I do hear something he's recorded it seems to be the epitome of very, very dull retro-leaning dad-rock that makes The Mavericks "Dance the Night Away" sound frighteningly avant-garde.

You really ought to listen to"Wake Up the Nation" at least.
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 08 Aug 2018, 11:11

Diamond Dog wrote:Weller has had to cede money for songwriting credits to him for music he sure as shit didn't write.

Do you know which tracks they were?

AKAIK there was Music For the Last Couple instrumental which he received a credit, but what else?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 11:20

Buckler took him to court at least twice, I believe, and received money for songwriting credits - not sure of the details, but I think it was an overall settlement as opposed to specific songs.
Cocaine

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 08 Aug 2018, 11:23

Diamond Dog wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:But every time I do hear something he's recorded it seems to be the epitome of very, very dull retro-leaning dad-rock that makes The Mavericks "Dance the Night Away" sound frighteningly avant-garde.

You really ought to listen to"Wake Up the Nation" at least.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2018, 11:34

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

knob.
Cocaine

`

Postby ` » 08 Aug 2018, 11:50

While far from being a Weller obsessive, it seems to me that this board has come to a fine pass when posters are criticizing acts for abandoning the safe option and starting to take chances in order to stretch himself/themselves artistically
Last edited by ` on 08 Aug 2018, 12:57, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Yakety Yak”