Captain Beefheart was a genius

Do talk back
SUMPTUOUS SI
hounds people off the board
Location: ask me tomorrow and it'll be a completely different list

Captain Beefheart was a genius

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 06 Aug 2018, 12:47

True?
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

Rayge

Re: Captain Beefheart was a genius

Postby Rayge » 06 Aug 2018, 13:06

No problem with the concept, just the word - its meaning varies widely depending on the user, and I tend to think of it as a quality that sometimes manifests itself – a work of genius, that sort of thing – rather than as a description of an individual.
But the Don was certainly an artist, and sui generis.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

SUMPTUOUS SI

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 06 Aug 2018, 13:09

Rayge wrote:No problem with the concept, just the word - its meaning varies widely depending on the user, and I tend to think of it as a quality that sometimes manifests itself – a work of genius, that sort of thing – rather than as a description of an individual.

Makes sense, but I think there are certain artists who create with such originality - while (I suppose) making sure their work is accessible/attractive to at least some people - that they're on another level altogether.

The word (like 'overrated') is certainly overused to the point where it's almost meaningless.
Dimbo wrote:The media are run by the CIA. They write what they tell them to write.

George P. Smackers

Postby George P. Smackers » 06 Aug 2018, 15:34

Yeah it's I word I never use myself. You can't shake the smell of Romanticism from it, with the idea that somebody's trailing in some kind of supernatural sponsorship.

But worse is the way it's a conversation-stopper, like something people say when they don't have any articulate reasons for what they think. (Not saying that to Super Furry, just the way it often works in conversation.) It's the opposite of a useful term for criticism.

I tend to go for language like this person has a lot of good ideas, or an unusually high number of really great ones, or sometimes has some good ones, etc.

As for Beefheart, yeah he has a lot of ideas, and they're often quite good.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 06 Aug 2018, 15:37

He was almost as good as Bruce Foxton.

SUMPTUOUS SI

Postby SUMPTUOUS SI » 06 Aug 2018, 15:47

:lol:

wannabee enfant terrible
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby wannabee enfant terrible » 06 Aug 2018, 16:13

Sometimes.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Kal ‘Roger Cock’ Hodgson wrote:I have just discovered that the fake Markus account was not John...I would like to apologise for suggesting it was him.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 06 Aug 2018, 17:59

Well, he's not just "a hard working-guy" like Brian Wilson, so I guess so. His best stuff does seem to not be labored over, so I guess that's a form of genius.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 06 Aug 2018, 18:39

I think the musicians labored over learning those parts, but yeah the creation seems to be entirely instinctive.

It's the oposite of formulaic, which I guess is "constantly inventive."
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

TG

Postby TG » 07 Aug 2018, 22:10

Not all of it is all that original. Certainly some of it is but there is a whole lot that is based heavily in blues and soul music. Nothing wrong with that but it isn’t very different to what others were doing concurrently and is often some of his best work.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 00:53

bump
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.