iPod quest

Do talk back
Jimbo

iPod quest

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2018, 20:11

I need a new iPod but Apple no longer sells or makes them except for the Touch which is too big for the gym. Reading up I see that it's because Apple wants users to use Apple Music from the cloud instead of our own MP3s. But I don't have an Apple phone and I need a device which also plays podcasts. I've been relying on my Nano for ages. I'm used to it but the old one is broken and I can't get a new one. Is there an alternative? Do any of you still use an iPod?
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

jimboo

Re: iPod quest

Postby jimboo » 30 Jul 2018, 20:40

Sony walkman , Fio or push the boat out and get a Astell and kern.Cowon Plenue D has good reviews.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2018, 20:52

jimboo wrote:Sony walkman , Fio or push the boat out and get a Astell and kern.Cowon Plenue D has good reviews.

The above don't use iTunes. I don't think I need iTunes if I want to play my own music and maybe audio books but the Nano's dedicated iTunes podcast feature is a must have I think.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Jul 2018, 21:21

Jimbo wrote: Do any of you still use an iPod?

Yeah. I ordered one just as soon as I heard there were plans to stop making them. It's around two and a half years old now, and still going strong.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 30 Jul 2018, 21:22

I love the way the iPod is entirely self-contained. This 'cloud' thing is bollocks 'cos you have to be connected to listen to your music. Same deal with Spotify. It's a con.
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2018, 21:30

I use the classic iPod. Since I use it whenever I drive - which is every day, I tend to go through them about every three years or so. They usually cost over $200 but it's worth it. Nothing else can play over 18,000 songs.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 30 Jul 2018, 21:38

My Nano is pretty new but it recently got that stupid self-on and off prob. The batt dies before I wake up. It must my fifth unit. I enjoy the routine of loading it up making daily playlists. I may get the Touch but it has so much more than I need. And it ain't small like my Nano which fits perfectly into my t-shirt pockets all of which have pockets just to hold my Nano.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jul 2018, 23:06

Apple software wants to ruin my life. I wouldn't touch that crapola with a ten foot pole. But if you insist on staying loyal to an oppressor, consider getting an old, used Iphone and using only the music player on it.

The Fiio X1 is a Chinese player that I've been very happy with for a couple years. Holds a 128GB microSD card, plays FLAC files including 24 bit. Cost me $99 for the player and another $50 for the SD card.

The playlist functionality is not great - it's not easy to move playlists from the computer onto the player. It is possible to make playlists though. And key thing for me, the sound quality is a MASSIVE improvement from other mp3 players I have had. I lost this one for a few days & went back to using my old Sansa player, and it was immediately noticeable how tnny and small everything sounded.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jul 2018, 23:15

Matt Wilson wrote:I use the classic iPod. Since I use it whenever I drive - which is every day, I tend to go through them about every three years or so. They usually cost over $200 but it's worth it. Nothing else can play over 18,000 songs.

The Fiio X1 goes up to 256GB now. If you have your music ripped as MP3s at 190 that's like 25,000 songs.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jul 2018, 23:16

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band wrote:I love the way the iPod is entirely self-contained. This 'cloud' thing is bollocks 'cos you have to be connected to listen to your music. Same deal with Spotify. It's a con.

Agreed, I will never pay good money to access music off the internet. I want it stored, in high resolution, on the device in my pocket.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2018, 23:20

bobzilla77 wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:I use the classic iPod. Since I use it whenever I drive - which is every day, I tend to go through them about every three years or so. They usually cost over $200 but it's worth it. Nothing else can play over 18,000 songs.

The Fiio X1 goes up to 256GB now. If you have your music ripped as MP3s at 190 that's like 25,000 songs.

Yeah, but reading your post above, I don't like the unease with playlists. I can plug my iPod into my Mac and the entire iTunes is imported in a minute or two. I plug it into the cigarette lighter in my car and presto, instant music. Put it on shuffle or select a band - it's easy.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2018, 04:43

bobzilla77 wrote: consider getting an old, used Iphone and using only the music player on it.

I'll be off to the used electronics shop in a few minutes. I saw some used Touch units in the window the other day and may take a shot.

I had seen some videos complaining about the worsening iTunes system, Apple fixing something that wasn't broken. I'm wondering if in the newer Apple computers they've dis-allowed mp3 downloading yet because at this rate they may. Why do you need to download your stuff when you can buy ours! Shit, they've taken out the CD players from Apple machines. It's a clever ploy thwarting free/stolen downloads from the Apple device users' machines. That's me!

I am so used to the iTunes system. I'm a very recent smart phone user. My contract gave me an Android device which I had thought might somehow play my MP3s, and it might if I can figure it out but can I load and unload podcasts and audiobooks as easily as with my Apple. I don't think so.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 31 Jul 2018, 04:56

There are repair shops that can install a 256 or 512GB hard drive in an iPod Classic....I've got two of which one needs a new one so I may go for the large option next. It's pretty pricey though.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2018, 05:06

While I'm on the subject, sort of, I notice more and more that my Safari will not allow content to a number of alternative news sites, ones that may get the '"fake news" label in establishment circles. To access them I need to go to Firefox. Is Apple doing the government's bidding by blocking me?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 31 Jul 2018, 15:24

still have my classic 160 ipod. Don't use it much except for vacations(aka holidays) or in remote places where spotify doesn't work. I'e had the battery changed once but it still works.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 31 Jul 2018, 15:48

bobzilla77 wrote:...if you insist on staying loyal to an oppressor, consider getting an old, used Iphone and using only the music player on it.

That's what I've done. I've got an old 3G iPhone that I treat pretty much like an iPod. It's only 16gb, but that's never bothered me as I only really use it in the car and there's enough variety on it so that repetition isn't a big issue.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Jul 2018, 19:01

Matt Wilson wrote:
bobzilla77 wrote:

Yeah, but reading your post above, I don't like the unease with playlists. I can plug my iPod into my Mac and the entire iTunes is imported in a minute or two. I plug it into the cigarette lighter in my car and presto, instant music. Put it on shuffle or select a band - it's easy.

The only thing that is challenging with the Fiio is transferring a custom playlist made on the computer, on Itunes or Windows Media or something, into the player. The file system is kind of like Windows Explorer - each Artist folder contains album folders, and each album folder includes all the songs. I can select an artist and it'll play through every song in every album folder.

The new Sony Walkman is similar to my Fiio, plays high res files and so forth, and I think is better with the custom playlists. It's about $250.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 31 Jul 2018, 20:05

Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band wrote:I love the way the iPod is entirely self-contained. This 'cloud' thing is bollocks 'cos you have to be connected to listen to your music. Same deal with Spotify. It's a con.

Er, you can download it.Get hi res from tidal and it blows itunes out of the water.There are better alternatives to I tunes available out there.With 4g and wifi everywhere it is looking a less attractive proposition. I download release radar and discovery on spotify to listen to walking home. I still buy the actual product if I like an album because real hifi is still where it's at.

You can compile and download any playlist on spotify.
Goat Boy wrote:Oh, do fuck off, prog boy.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 03 Aug 2018, 00:50

So I just got a new android phone a few weeks ago. I hadn't bothered to put any music on it until my I left my Fiio player somewhere & had to use the phone as a temp replacement. So I loaded up 5 or 6 albums & went to work. Whem I opened Google Play on the phone, to my surprise, my entire music library from home PC was accessible as links. Google has, I guess, placed my entire music collection somewhere on the cloud. It's obviously MY collection because it includes tracks I recorded myself, not just links to the google play database.

Even when I clicked the button for "Downloaded only" (ie, disable streaming to save data use), it had already stored a number of tracks on my phone as "cached" files.

I like the idea of having my collection available anywhere there's Wifi. Not just spotify but my OWN FILES.

The only downside is, the phone does not sound as good as the Fiio. I did an A/B of some tracks that were loaded on both and it's no contest - the Fiio sounded way better.

It's kind of nice having both in my pocket.

frimley_greener

Postby frimley_greener » 03 Aug 2018, 04:25

You do not have to be connected to listen to Spotify....there is an off line option you can utilise to listen to everything stored on your device.
You wanna be a big cop in a small town? Fuck off up the model village.