Discovered under the Tallahatchie bridge?

Do talk back
Sneelock

Re: Discovered under the Tallahatchie bridge?

Postby Sneelock » 01 Aug 2018, 23:02

who is the waste of human space that decided NOT to make "Big Boss Man" the lead single off her second album?
that thing is killer. it might have needed a "single edit" because of the slow build up but what a punchy tune. I'll bet it would have charted.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Aug 2018, 23:04

okay. ignore me. I mean, even more than usual.
Wikipedia says it was the third single so somebody was somewhat on the ball.
it didn't chart at all. shows what I know. I'll bet it gets covered more than "Louisiana Man" does.
scan not a friend with a microscopic glass

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 05 Oct 2018, 02:14

The box is coming out next week; I just found this August interview with compilation producer Andrew Batt.

There were a couple of other unfinished recordings or demos for things that I didn’t want to use, but mostly there were just other takes of things you will hear.

Nonetheless one of my responsibilities as a compiler and producer, and one which I take seriously, is to only issue material that shows the artist to the best advantage. I always produce unreleased recordings as closely in style to the production on the original albums, so that any additional tracks sound seamlessly part of the whole. I am always aware that what I’m doing needs to add to that artist’s legacy and not detract from it.

All the new material enriches our understanding of Bobbie, from the intimacy of her demos to alternative arrangements and album outtakes — many of which were probably not issued at the time more for reasons of tone when listening to an LP rather than a perceived lack of quality.
Last edited by Muskrat on 05 Oct 2018, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.
Things that a fella can't forget...

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2018, 04:38

I ordered it from a third-party seller (who I've bought stuff from before) via Amazon Canada - because Amazon US had no listing for it! (This was just a few days ago.) It's been shipped, I am told.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 05 Oct 2018, 04:48

And now it's on the Amazon US site - for substantially less than I paid for it. Merde!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 05 Oct 2018, 07:26

Charlie O. wrote:And now it's on the Amazon US site - for substantially less than I paid for it. Merde!

Yeah, I advance ordered it from Amazon US. The price has come down significantly since I placed the order, but it’s covered by the price guarantee.

US had it when first announced (and when I ordered it) but for some reason the listing fell off and was restored quite recently.
Things that a fella can't forget...

zoomboogity wrote:Psych should be fun, carefree, whimsical, colorful, anything but portentous...Otherwise, you might as well listen to prog.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Oct 2018, 05:16

I'm listening now - just skipping about from disc to disc, a song here, a song there...

It sounds phenomenal (aside from the BBC stuff, but I expected that), and the book is splendid. Truly a labor of love.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Oct 2018, 05:52

I'm sorry (?) to report that "Joanne" is not the Nesmith song.

But it does ironically reference "The Girl Can't Help It"!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Oct 2018, 06:07