yes!
25%
yeah I suppose so
17%

Total votes: 24

Osgood

Re: Liege and Lief

Postby Osgood » 23 Jul 2018, 11:10

I would probably rate it third after Unhalfbricking and WWDIOH, but by a very short margin. In fact all five from the first to Full House are a fantastic run. There is a 5 Classic Albums pack available with them all that is a real bargain.
Nobody's ferpect.

The Slider
Self-Aggrandising Cock

Postby The Slider » 23 Jul 2018, 21:20

I don't *not* like them but I really don't see what the fuss is about.
The Complete Pink Floyd Mp3 set now available in the usual place, should you want one.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 23 Jul 2018, 23:17

I find "The Deserter" (and maybe "Reynardine," though I go back and forth on that one) a bit lugubrious. The rest of it's great, though.

I might actually call it their fourth best album (after Holidays, UHB, and Full House), but it is indeed fabulous. Just shows how great they were for a while.

Mind you, I agree with D_Fish (which seems to happen fairly often on this kind of stuff) - early Steeleye is better! (It helps that I'm one of the few that prefers Maddy Prior's voice to Sandy's, as blasphemous as that is).
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

The Write Profile
2017 BCB Cup Champ

Postby The Write Profile » 24 Jul 2018, 09:00

It's a fine album, but it's also, to these ears, a step back from the more lyrical, crystalline feel of the two LPs before it. Moreover, it seems not to have that same sense of space as the previous two. It's quite lumpy in parts, and there's none of the weightlessness that they bring to songs as varied as "I'll Keep it with Mine" to "Autopsy" to "Who Knows Where the Time Goes". It doesn't even have the wit and energy of something like "Cajun Woman", and strangely, the lack of Dylan covers is another point against it (I think that Unhalfbricking lineup might just be the best interpreters of Dylan ever-yes, even better than the Byrds). That said, given the circumstances surrounding Liege and Lief, it is kinda remarkable how confident it sounds in parts.

Don't get me wrong, there's some great moments on it- whether it's the opening raveup of "Come All Ye", or the way they make "Matty Groves" really swing. But they're no longer, to these ears, soaking up all the various contemporary musics around them. At least not in the compelling way they do for What We Did on Our Holidays and Unhalfbricking. Those records really swing from the fences at times, even at their bleakest, they find some light (none more so than on the plangent "Meet On the Ledge"). Perhaps they're an example of a band that were pretty close to perfect for what they set out to be at a really early stage in their career. I mean, they were still in their late teens and early 20s when those records came out. How the hell did they achieve such synergy so young?

In summary, I like L&L, but it lacks the spark of their earlier work.
It's before my time but I've been told, he never came back from Karangahape Road.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Jul 2018, 09:59

toomanyhatz wrote:Mind you, I agree with D_Fish (which seems to happen fairly often on this kind of stuff)

Snarfyguy wrote:Image

Hang in there - help is on the way!
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 01 Aug 2018, 16:18

Phenomenal Cat wrote:No Sandy Denny on Full House?

Charlie O. wrote:Right. She is missed, but not as much as you might expect.

I just listened to Full House. It is pretty Liege and Lief Mk. II, but I prefer my Fairports with Nico.

Mattacks!
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.

C
Robust

Postby C » 05 Aug 2018, 18:59

Their second best

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

Phenomenal Cat
death on four legs

Postby Phenomenal Cat » 19 Aug 2018, 00:49

bump
But somehow when you smile, I can brave bad weather.